Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rob C on May 23, 2019, 10:47:37 am

Title: Free Grip
Post by: Rob C on May 23, 2019, 10:47:37 am
No, probably not what you were thinking, but a useful delight that has finally provided a solution to keeping my 180mm steady - at least for horizontal shots, and verticals would just require a slight adjustment of the thing.

In short, I am making use of the cyclists who have spawned an industry here in the northern part of the isle. I wandered into one of their many boutiques this morning and enquired whether, perchance, they had a scrap inner tube from one of their wonderful flying machines. The chap said sure, and without asking why I should want such a thing, he pulled one out of his bin and gave it to me.

The iPad gem enclosed shows the complex mechanics: one length of carefully cut tube, draped over the non-moving part of the lens, and then tightened to flavour with a rolled up rubber band. A second band, treated in similar manner, completes the item making it both neater as well as providing a spare part should the upper band collapse with excitement at some stage.

One grips the suspended "strap" high up, and braces the top of the thumb and forefinger against the base of the lens, and it's steady like a rock compared to holding the lens with the hand.

I may speak with Nikon about franchise.

Perhaps I can invent a similar device for holding the iPad as camera.

:-)

Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: LesPalenik on May 23, 2019, 11:44:12 am
Great idea, Rob!
I wonder if it would work also for Canon.
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: petermfiore on May 23, 2019, 11:48:44 am
Why stop with Nikon...go for the world lens market. We can be super rich!!!

Peter

See what I did there,I made myself a partner
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: MattBurt on May 23, 2019, 11:50:48 am
I've used old tubes for a lot of things but this one is new to me!
Careful of the talc many tubes come covered or filled with to make tire (tyre) changes easier.
Also, a cross section of tube makes a nice rubber band. I use them to hold pairs of skis together when in storage.
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: 32BT on May 23, 2019, 11:52:35 am
Considering folded optics in mobile smartthingies these days, I have to fear for the success of your business endeavour, but I wouldn't want to rob you off of your dreams. However, then I realised your contraption needs a brandname and for some reason a lot of variations involving the word condom came to mind...

Having said that: I've seen stranger things succeed on kicksstarter.
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Rob C on May 23, 2019, 02:11:37 pm
Considering folded optics in mobile smartthingies these days, I have to fear for the success of your business endeavour, but I wouldn't want to rob you off of your dreams. However, then I realised your contraption needs a brandname and for some reason a lot of variations involving the word condom came to mind...

Having said that: I've seen stranger things succeed on kicksstarter.


I can't imagine what a cycle tyre's inner tube could possibly have to do with a French town. For some equally odd reason, I find myself thinking about capotes anglaises, which brings us to another thought, for which a picture may be worth a thousand confused words.

Note the coq sportif so gamely associated with the name: good marketing for dreamers.

Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Rob C on May 23, 2019, 02:16:42 pm
Great idea, Rob!
I wonder if it would work also for Canon.

That would need negotiations not yet concluded, and possibly some design changes - to the lenses, of course.

 :-)
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Rob C on May 23, 2019, 02:20:00 pm
Why stop with Nikon...go for the world lens market. We can be super rich!!!

Peter

See what I did there,I made myself a partner

I tried to make myself a partner once, but my Galatea never materialised. I tossed the stone one into the sea.

:-(
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Rob C on May 23, 2019, 02:25:53 pm
I've used old tubes for a lot of things but this one is new to me!
Careful of the talc many tubes come covered or filled with to make tire (tyre) changes easier.
Also, a cross section of tube makes a nice rubber band. I use them to hold pairs of skis together when in storage.

Yes, inner tubes are very useful.

When I was a kid, we used to scrounge old inner tubes from buses or trucks and cut them into strips to make catapults. Eucalyptus trees provided good forks, and many shoes were worn without their leather tongues.

It was a thing I was quite good at using; ball bearings or marbles make for rather intimidating ammo.
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: RSL on May 23, 2019, 02:41:20 pm
Why stop with Nikon...go for the world lens market. We can be super rich!!!

Peter

See what I did there,I made myself a partner

+1. I want in too.
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Garnick on May 23, 2019, 03:36:24 pm
Next a trip to the Patent Office me thinks.  I jest not.  Somewhat off topic, but only due to the particular item.  In 1980 we bought and moved into our first house.  It was basically a carpenters dream.  I am definitely not a carpenter by trade, so it was more of a nightmare, but I get along when necessary.  While working in the somewhat small kitchen I noticed that at one end of the counter there was a rather small area between the sink and the stove, perhaps 15".  That was originally a small cupboard as well, but not much good for anything really.  One day I had an epiphany, something I very rarely experience.  OK, never!  However, I immediately went to my rather beat up table saw and started working.  No printed plans, just a few measurements.  After a few adjustments and fittings, I installed the rails on each side wall of the unused space and then inserted my invention.  Pull it out, lift the lid and voila, a Pull-Out garbage bin.  Quite a few years later I came across my invention at one of the kitchen cupboard distributors and immediately wondered which one of my "friends" had patented my garbage bin.  I suppose the moral to this story is, well, there is no moral.  As I often say - BIN there, done that.  ;)

           
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: rabanito on May 25, 2019, 03:53:56 am
Yes, inner tubes are very useful.

When I was a kid, we used to scrounge old inner tubes from buses or trucks and cut them into strips to make catapults. Eucalyptus trees provided good forks, and many shoes were worn without their leather tongues.

It was a thing I was quite good at using; ball bearings or marbles make for rather intimidating ammo.

And if you're doing "street" in an unfriendly environment you can use it to swing your camera as a chain (better: tube) mace at the enemy for clearing the way back to your car and flee
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Rob C on May 25, 2019, 04:16:43 am
And if you're doing "street" in an unfriendly environment you can use it to swing your camera as a chain (better: tube) mace at the enemy for clearing the way back to your car and flee

Better a cloak of invisibility: I read that HC-B was once approached in a crowd by an aggressive drunk, and that HC-B, who apparently used a wrist-strap with his Leica, threw the camera at the guy's face, pulled it back via the strap, and then made his getaway - disappearing back into the crowd.

I avoid drunks at all costs: friendly, amorous, morose, boring or just violent. They can stew in their own liquor perfectly well without me. I have my own demons to confront. My current one has given me a nose as productive as a faucet: kitchen rolls have never been more important. I blame the weather: today is the second cold, rainy day after a beautiful, hot and sunny one that promised the end of electric blankets, a new season of wearing shorts and a huge reduction in my electricity bills.

It's said here that summer only begins after the fortieth of May; I should pay more attention.

Attishoo!

;-(
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: rabanito on May 25, 2019, 05:48:06 am
Attishoo!
;-(

Mr Ed would say "Gesundheit!".
I learned a lot of English from that horse ...
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Ivo_B on May 25, 2019, 11:33:28 am
No, probably not what you were thinking, but a useful delight that has finally provided a solution to keeping my 180mm steady - at least for horizontal shots, and verticals would just require a slight adjustment of the thing.

In short, I am making use of the cyclists who have spawned an industry here in the northern part of the isle. I wandered into one of their many boutiques this morning and enquired whether, perchance, they had a scrap inner tube from one of their wonderful flying machines. The chap said sure, and without asking why I should want such a thing, he pulled one out of his bin and gave it to me.

The iPad gem enclosed shows the complex mechanics: one length of carefully cut tube, draped over the non-moving part of the lens, and then tightened to flavour with a rolled up rubber band. A second band, treated in similar manner, completes the item making it both neater as well as providing a spare part should the upper band collapse with excitement at some stage.

One grips the suspended "strap" high up, and braces the top of the thumb and forefinger against the base of the lens, and it's steady like a rock compared to holding the lens with the hand.

I may speak with Nikon about franchise.

Perhaps I can invent a similar device for holding the iPad as camera.

:-)

Ha, a good old professional photographer set up. instead of al these fag  commercial products, a decent self crafted contraption. And as it should on a pro camera, the brand of the camera blacked out!!

(I admit, If I had to shoot a Nikon, I would blackout the name as well, but for different reason)

 ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: rabanito on May 25, 2019, 12:03:07 pm
(I admit, If I had to shoot a Nikon, I would blackout the name as well, but for different reason)


In my case, Nikon pays me to black out the name.
I still don't get it why  :o ::) :-\
 8)
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Ivo_B on May 26, 2019, 06:00:41 am
In my case, Nikon pays me to black out the name.
I still don't get it why  :o ::) :-\
 8)

Maybe you could stop painting your Nikon tele's...

Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Rob C on May 26, 2019, 08:33:21 am
Maybe you could stop painting your Nikon tele's...


Canon had an original point: white reflects heat but black absorbs it; no shame if, belatedly, Nik realises the same truth and implements at some time.

A week or two ago, as I was walking after lunch, I was stopped by a German girl  - I think - who asked, in English, where she might find the entrance to a local swampy area that apparently houses many birds of the feathered kind. I had no idea, having lived here just short of forty years, but I was most intrigued with her very long Nikon objective: it was draped in a camouflage material that confused me right there, talking to her. Not only was the colour scheme clever, but the material was actually frayed. Now that is indeed attention to detail.

Together, we walked a few steps and I was relieved to discover her mirror into Alice's playground. Or was that a rabbit hole?
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: RSL on May 26, 2019, 09:09:23 am
Canon had an original point: white reflects heat but black absorbs it; no shame if, belatedly, Nik realises the same truth and implements at some time.

Right, Rob, but white, while reflecting heat, attracts attention. There are situations where that's the last thing you want.
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: petermfiore on May 26, 2019, 10:25:35 am

Together, we walked a few steps and I was relieved to discover her mirror into Alice's playground. Or was that a rabbit hole?

Those holes are abundant and can be dangerous. Best to avoid them and be happy.

Peter
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Rob C on May 27, 2019, 06:29:21 am
Right, Rob, but white, while reflecting heat, attracts attention. There are situations where that's the last thing you want.

That's where the camouflaged version comes into its own!

;-)
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Ivo_B on May 28, 2019, 02:54:39 am
Right, Rob, but white, while reflecting heat, attracts attention. There are situations where that's the last thing you want.

The canon lenses  in white are by size not really stealth.
And I doubt the extra attraction would be problematic aside a football field.
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Jim Metzger on May 28, 2019, 06:52:09 pm
How much would the Leica branded version cost?   :)

Jim
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: MattBurt on May 29, 2019, 12:13:36 pm
How much would the Leica branded version cost?   :)

Jim

$600 but it will have a really nice red dot.
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: Rob C on May 29, 2019, 02:15:09 pm
$600 but it will have a really nice red dot.


If you want me to make a bespoke one, then that figure of 600 is derisory; start at 2399 and we have something to talk about. You have to appreciate that I don't use just any old tubes, I use tubes ridden by champions. Think Iron Man competitors.

If you want the premium, expensive model, I don't do adhesive red dot: I apply dust of ruby. Price on application.

Rob
Title: Re: Free Grip
Post by: MattBurt on May 29, 2019, 03:28:15 pm
Ah clearly I'm not very familiar with this end of the market. 

I am, however familiar with Ironman competitors having been raised by a couple of them. One even set a world record!
I could probably source some raw materials if your supplies can't meet demand.  8)