Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Colorado_CJ on May 12, 2019, 09:40:40 am

Title: When Galaxies Collide
Post by: Colorado_CJ on May 12, 2019, 09:40:40 am
Friday night I finished shooting an interactive galaxy pair, The Whirlpool.  These two galaxies are literally running into eachother, feeding off eachother and spewing stellar matter into the universe.

This is my first time shooting M51, or the Whirlpool.  When the first of the many images started showing up on my screen, I was awestruck. 

This is the first image completed with my new scope, a Skywatcher MN190 Mak Newt.  Mak Newt designs aren't very popular for some reason, but I don't know why.  They are a blend of refractor and reflector and are the best of both worlds.  Both visually and image wise, mak newts perform as good as the equivalent size APO refractor, but with even less false color.  This is a 7.5" mak newt.  I bought it on sale for $1350.  An equivalent sized APO Refractor costs between $15,000-$20,000.

After seeing what this scope can do, I think I am going to really like it!

Anyway, here is M51, or the Whirpool, shot for a total of 224 minutes.  I am going to eventually shoot even more subs of this since the more information you gather, the sharper, more detailed and less grainy the image gets.

Here's the time breakdown per filter

Lum: 64 minutes
Red: 32 minutes
Green: 48 minutes
Blue: 45 minutes
H-Alpha: 35 minutes

(https://www.focalworld.com/index.php?media/m51-224-minutes-lrgbha.3035/full) 



And here is a photo of the setup

(https://www.focalworld.com/index.php?media/mn190-imaging-setup.3017/full) 
Title: Re: When Galaxies Collide
Post by: degrub on May 12, 2019, 11:45:57 am
which tracking motor/control are you using ?
Title: Re: When Galaxies Collide
Post by: Arlen on May 12, 2019, 02:29:49 pm
That is beautiful. It's amazing the things that are out there, and you've captured one of them here. Wish I had a scope like that--and the time to learn how to use it properly.
Title: Re: When Galaxies Collide
Post by: sarrasani on May 12, 2019, 06:18:42 pm
thank you much for sharing!!
All the best,
sandro
Title: Re: When Galaxies Collide
Post by: Bob_B on May 13, 2019, 08:36:40 am
Sweet!
Title: Re: When Galaxies Collide
Post by: maddogmurph on May 15, 2019, 05:44:21 am
Incredible. Just mind blowing really.
Title: Re: When Galaxies Collide
Post by: HSakols on May 15, 2019, 09:02:10 am
Out of this World!