Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rob C on May 12, 2019, 07:50:15 am

Title: Italian Ways
Post by: Rob C on May 12, 2019, 07:50:15 am
I found this site by happenstance; it's also in pretty reasonable English translation, with lots of interesting material to pursue.

http://www.italianways.com/materas-musma/
Title: Re: Italian Ways
Post by: KLaban on May 12, 2019, 09:19:24 am
The pity is I wasn't old enough to visit Matera when it was really interesting.

David Seymour, Matera. (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=David+Seymour+Matera&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu2aLHiZbiAhVjURUIHVIpCucQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1366&bih=1047#imgrc=_&spf=1557666960567)
Title: Re: Italian Ways
Post by: rabanito on May 12, 2019, 09:56:47 am
Yes we are too young...

https://mediastore3.magnumphotos.com/CoreXDoc/MAG/Media/TR2/c/0/a/c/PAR99462.jpg
Title: Re: Italian Ways
Post by: Rob C on May 12, 2019, 10:26:25 am
The pity is I wasn't old enough to visit Matera when it was really interesting.

David Seymour, Matera. (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=David+Seymour+Matera&tbm=isch&source=hp&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu2aLHiZbiAhVjURUIHVIpCucQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1366&bih=1047#imgrc=_&spf=1557666960567)


Indeed; add the gift of invisibility and you'd - we'd all have been laughing!

Until the seventies or so the place was seen as the shame of Italy; did folks have a right to exploit that at that time?

Raises a delicate question, though: where does voyeurism differ from art? Or does it, or does the latter simply excuse the former?

Rob

P.S.

That hotel. For the dates I just typed in, starting today, a week would run me €230 a night.

Not bad for an ex-slum. Maybe something for the old Gorbals to have considered...

:-)
Title: Re: Italian Ways
Post by: Rob C on May 12, 2019, 10:48:44 am
Not entirely on topic, but it seems like there's a fresh series of Inspector Montalbano coming soon with the original, older cat with the charisma. I wonder who will play the girlfriend this time around? Liked the first one best!

Rob
Title: Re: Italian Ways
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 12, 2019, 12:01:45 pm
Not entirely on topic, but it seems like there's a fresh series of Inspector Montalbano coming soon with the original, older cat with the charisma. I wonder who will play the girlfriend this time around? Liked the first one best!

Rob
I can't get the TV series over here, but I've read ALL the books (in translation). I just hope he writes a few more soon.
Title: Re: Italian Ways
Post by: RSL on May 12, 2019, 12:09:28 pm
The pity is I wasn't old enough to visit Matera when it was really interesting.

Everything is interesting when you're young, Keith. It's a built-in condition for young eyes which haven't seen enough of the world to become bored with it.
Title: Re: Italian Ways
Post by: Rob C on May 12, 2019, 02:19:17 pm
Everything is interesting when you're young, Keith. It's a built-in condition for young eyes which haven't seen enough of the world to become bored with it.

I am sorry to say that I have to agree.

It applies in spades to boobs and butts, which is why given the miracle of a second chance, I'd leap instantly back into fashion photography and its infinite opportunities for endless variation.

Rob