Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 03:26:53 am

Title: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 03:26:53 am
https://www.dpreview.com/news/5993608794/adobe-creative-cloud-no-longer-offers-most-older-lightroom-and-photoshop-versions

Without any warning all the older software has been removed from Adobe's web site. If you need to re-download any software you've bought in the past you're stuffed.

Maybe if you've been careful to save and archive previous downloads it may not effect you, but if you let software update it's self that option seems to be lost now.

Adobe again proving it doesn't care about it's users.

Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 04:18:48 am
Are you sure about this?

Adobe does seem to offer a way either from items directly purchased and registered or store bought.
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html#Howtodownloadolderappspurchasedfromotherstores

Seems to me they actually do care to support its users by offering a lifeline to those that did not have the foresight to store a duplicate backup.

I assume as long as a user has a legal copy the website or direct contact will allow a reinstall?
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 04:32:38 am
Are you sure about this?
Just try finding the instal packages for PS CS4 or PP CS5 or any of the update patches.

The update function in all of the CS products now just shows nothing available.

Quote
Adobe does seem to offer a way either from items directly purchased and registered or store bought.
https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html#Howtodownloadolderappspurchasedfromotherstores
So we might be able to get patches if we ask for them ? Excuse me from being cynical, but I'll be surprised if I get anything other than a 'no longer supported' reply.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 05:08:10 am
Just try finding the instal packages for PS CS4 or PP CS5 or any of the update patches.

The update function in all of the CS products now just shows nothing available.
They are not available as a direct download any longer..  There may be a variety of valid reasons why Adobe has taken this route.  But Adobe seem to be offering a way for legitimate user

Quote
So we might be able to get patches if we ask for them ? Excuse me from being cynical, but I'll be surprised if I get anything other than a 'no longer supported' reply.
Then perhaps it would help us all, cynics included, if you contacted Adobe directly explaining that you have lost your application due to crash/corruption but you have proof of purchase reg. licence for PP CS5 and wish to reinstall.

Note: The OP link refers to Creative Cloud a subscription based service where it would be expected that subscribers will update - a  main reason for subscription? 
C3, CS4, And the last CS6 were a different model being part of the perpetual licence Creative suite.  I understand that Adobe have a dedicated team to deal with standalone applications and I would imagine that with proof of purchase and a valid licence you should be able to download a replacement app.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 06:32:52 am
Then perhaps it would help us all, cynics included, if you contacted Adobe directly explaining that you have lost your application due to crash/corruption but you have proof of purchase reg. licence for PP CS5 and wish to reinstall.
I'm trying that. TWO HOURS logged into their chat system so far "Sorry for the delay.  We’re busier than expected.  Thank you for your patience" still no resolution.

A month ago getting hold of a patch file would have taken two minutes.

Yes, they're stuffing us.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 07:33:10 am
I'm trying that. TWO HOURS logged into their chat system so far "Sorry for the delay.  We’re busier than expected.  Thank you for your patience" still no resolution.
.....
I kind of expect that sort of thing with chat systems over the weekend.  The UK telephone number for Adobe is 020 – 7365 – 0735 Monday to Friday 9am-5pm

Assuming you have actually registered your products, have you logged into your Adobe account and can you see your downloads and serial numbers?
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html
If you cannot see your orders then you will need to use the contact us via the chat line or telephone.  My guess chatline is manned via USA and will not expect too much activity over the weekend and out of USA hours.

Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 08:08:06 am
So you think it's OK to inconvenience users like this ?

For an organisation the size of Adobe, it would have negligible cost to have kept the old files available as they were last month/year.

Nothing about this decision is in their customer's interest.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 08:43:29 am
No, I think it is totally unrealistic to expect software support and backup from any manufacturer after the end of its cycle.

For CS6 a product launched 9 years ago (CS4 and CS5 2 years older) with support and updates for around 9 years I think that is pretty good

Spending around £600 on a piece of software and not keeping backups including upgrade backups, and ignoring Adobe comments is folly
Quote
Note:

Important: Back up your downloaded software to offline media, such as a DVD or network drive. With a backup, you have continued access to your software if it is unavailable from Adobe.com.
It is users that have inconvenienced themselves if they cannot restore from current backup, effectively shooting oneself in the foot!

What paid software do you have that is 10 years old and still supported by the manufacturer by hosting old versions on their servers?

What financial figure did you put as ‘negligible cost” to keeping old files on servers and maintaining such including staff training for the inevitable trouble shooting investigation including licence registrations?





Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 08:55:54 am
No, I think it is totally unrealistic to expect software support and backup from any manufacturer after the end of its cycle.
No one I've read expects actual support or continued updates. Just continuing to make the software and it's patches available for licence holders.
Many of the patches will have been applied automatically, so archiving them would have required downloading them separately. Not something you'd bother with when you know it's all there when you need it.
At the very least if they were going to stop making these available they could have given advanced warning to allow users to grab back ups whilst they were easily available.

This is expensive software that is still productively running on huge numbers of systems.

It's just another example of Adobe not caring about their users.




Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: earlybird on May 11, 2019, 09:22:15 am
I am concerned about the possibility of an arbitrary decision being made to shut down the activation servers without recourse. Sort of like what happened with CS2, which was thankfully addressed by the provision of installers that do not require online activation.

In the meantime here is a link to a viable Photoshop CS6 update:

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5677&fileID=5701
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 09:29:11 am
No one I've read expects actual support or continued updates. Just continuing to make the software and it's patches available for licence holders.
Many of the patches will have been applied automatically, so archiving them would have required downloading them separately. Not something you'd bother with when you know it's all there when you need it.
At the very least if they were going to stop making these available they could have given advanced warning to allow users to grab back ups whilst they were easily available.

This is expensive software that is still productively running on huge numbers of systems.

It's just another example of Adobe not caring about their users.
No one has suggested continued updates.  Software support is exactly what you appear to be asking for - software and patches hosted by the manufacturer at their cost for an indefinite period?

Even if you believed that items always available it would be foolish to rely solely on cloud or any other offline storage, so full back up is required.

Expensive software, agreed. Running  on a huge number of machines, possibly.  Well past its sell by date as it has had no major updates for some time.  And the introduction of the new subscription model 5 years ago. All of these a huge warning bell to alert users to validate their backups to make sure all up to date!



Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 09:36:19 am
In the meantime here is a link to a viable Photoshop CS6 update:

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=5677&fileID=5701
Thanks for that. You can't seem to navigate to that page from the main Adobe pages.
There must be similar pages for the other CS products that remain hidden.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 09:40:10 am
Well past its sell by date as it has had no major updates for some time.
PS CS4 didn't need any updates. It was good software and still is.
I didn't upgrade to CS5 or CS6 because it was worse software for me.

Why be such an apologist for Adobe ? they have quite a track record for annoying their customers.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 11:19:23 am
PS CS4 didn't need any updates. It was good software and still is.
I didn't upgrade to CS5 or CS6 because it was worse software for me.

Why be such an apologist for Adobe ? they have quite a track record for annoying their customers.
It could be argued that no version of PS needed updates and yet there have been many very useful improvements for some of us up to and beyond CS6, including updates to camera raw.

Why be such a moaner about a company whose products you do not seem to care about?  It does seem that you want to hold them to blame for your lack of foresight in backing up your software
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 11:32:01 am
Why be such a moaner about a company whose products you do not seem to care about?  It does seem that you want to hold them to blame for your lack of foresight in backing up your software
I complain because I DO care.

I've still got all of the installation disks and many of the updates, but not all because, naively possibly, I never thought Adobe would do such daft thing as preventing people from downloading them. I can get by with what I've got here, it's just not nearly so convenient as just downloading things from the Adobe site.
 
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 11, 2019, 11:43:41 am
Even Cubans are not complaining that Chevrolet is not supporting their cars anymore ;)
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: smthopr on May 11, 2019, 11:52:46 am
I have been printing using Photoshop 2017 because I like to print a black border on my prints and this feature is bugged in the newer versions of Photoshop.  Adobe has known about this bug for a couple years but has done nothing to fix it yet.  It's a feature that has been in photoshop for many many years...

I am not pleased...
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 12:06:30 pm
.....
I've still got all of the installation disks and many of the updates, but not all because, naively possibly, I never thought Adobe would do such daft thing as preventing people from downloading them. I can get by with what I've got here, it's just not nearly so convenient as just downloading things from the Adobe site.
You have all the installation disks - then you are good to go at any time at least until a change of OS may stop you in your tracks

Quote
PS CS4 didn't need any updates. It was good software and still is.
I didn't upgrade to CS5 or CS6 because it was worse software for me.
How can you say that you have many of the updates and also state that PS CS4 did not need any updates?

Quote
it's just not nearly so convenient as just downloading things from the Adobe site.
Try telling that to someone who lives in an area that is not well served with internet service suffering slow speed and intermittency. Compare that to just clicking on your online application backups and installing direct, there's convenience.

You have been shown one link to CS6 so now you just need to contact Adobe and find out if your version is archived somewhere?  But why you may need this as you already have the disks is beyond me.

I will ask once again, what important software do you own that is over 10 years old and is still supported in terms of being held on the original companies server for you to download as required.

Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: digitaldog on May 11, 2019, 12:08:35 pm
Damn, that means I can no longer download Photoshop 1.0.9? The horror, the horror....
Anyone know where I can download OS6?  :D
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: faberryman on May 11, 2019, 12:19:38 pm
Damn, that means I can no longer download Photoshop 1.0.9? The horror, the horror....
Anyone know where I can download OS6?  :D
Windows 2000? Wait, I kept my installation disk. Whew!
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: digitaldog on May 11, 2019, 12:20:38 pm
Windows 2000? Wait, I kept my installation disk. Whew!
Nope, Mac OS 6.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 12:23:32 pm
I have been printing using Photoshop 2017 because I like to print a black border on my prints and this feature is bugged in the newer versions of Photoshop.  Adobe has known about this bug for a couple years but has done nothing to fix it yet.  It's a feature that has been in photoshop for many many years...

I am not pleased...
Thats interesting as I am just waiting for an image to be delivered for restoration and have been asked to print with a black border. 

Not tried yet but had assumed that the border function in the print dialogue worked as shown on screen limited to 3.5mm (0.15"), is this not the case due to an application bug? 
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 11, 2019, 01:04:09 pm
I'm pretty sure I still have floppy around her somewhere with PCDOS 3.1 on it.
Now, where did I put that thing?   8)
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Alan Smallbone on May 11, 2019, 01:05:30 pm
They don't make it easy but I logged into my account, it took a lot of hunting to come up with the serial number page and no downloads. However if you ordered from them and click on the link to the actual order, there is another link to directly download the program, whether or not this is the latest or not I do not know. I moved away from Adobe products because of this behavior from them. My choice it has worked out well for me.

Alan
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: faberryman on May 11, 2019, 01:07:39 pm
I'm pretty sure I still have floppy around her somewhere with PCDOS 3.1 on it.
Now, where did I put that thing?   8)
I kept mine until I got rid of my 5 1/4" drive about twenty years ago.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 01:12:21 pm
How can you say .... also state that PS CS4 did not need any updates?
When have I said that ?

Quote
I will ask once again, what important software do you own that is over 10 years old and is still supported in terms of being held on the original companies server for you to download as required.
Have a look at how X-Rite support their, and even older, GMB software and hardware.
PMP 5 is still excellent software and easily available from their servers.

It cost next to nothing to keep these products available and is good customer service. Adobe don't care.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: faberryman on May 11, 2019, 01:14:49 pm
When have I said that ?
Have a look at how X-Rite support their, and even older, GMB software and hardware.
PMP 5 is still excellent software and easily available from their servers.

It cost next to nothing to keep these products available and is good customer service. Adobe don't care.
X-Rite didn't update the Mac software for my EyeOne for changes in OS and now it is useless.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 11, 2019, 01:26:51 pm
X-Rite didn't update the Mac software for my EyeOne for changes in OS and now it is useless.

As you well know, there is a difference between updating software to match OS upgrades, and providing a link to the latest published version (and already published updates). The latter costs virtually nothing, and is a good service to customers who paid for a perpetual licence.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 02:20:50 pm
When have I said that ?
Ahh, my bad must have mistaken you for this fellow  ???
PS CS4 didn't need any updates. It was good software and still is.
I didn't upgrade to CS5 or CS6 because it was...

.....Have a look at how X-Rite support their, and even older, GMB software and hardware.
PMP 5 is still excellent software and easily available from their servers.
Adobe does not manufacture hardware that must be supported.  There is a world of difference and I can tell you as someone who was involved in equipment supply to corporate buyers that with equipment an award of contract would be based on an obligation to guarantee to keep spares and software updates for a minimum period of 10 years after the date that equipment discontinued.  AFAIK no such requirements exist for software only provision and would guess that would be accounted for in upfront costs in any case - exceptions?

Quote
It cost next to nothing to keep these products available and is good customer service. Adobe don't care.
So you have said before about costs, but as yet not provided any proof of what could be deemed as negligible, do you have an itemised breakdown example?

‘Adobe don’t care’, well that is just your opinion and I can only guess based on the fact that you probably hate the subscription model?  But then why rant on about it as you are several generations behind and do not care about the new versions of PS?

To be clear my stance on Adobe products and subscription models in general is that I do not really want to rent software - I do not like this model. The reality is, that for now I have not found anything that convinces me to jump ship and invest time into learning competing products to LR & PS and have faith that those products and the company will still be active in 10 years, accepting YMMV.

A company that does not care and does not innovate will not survive long term


Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 02:33:05 pm
Adobe does not manufacture hardware that must be supported.
PMP5 isn't hardware.
Quote
So you have said before about costs, but as yet not provided any proof of what could be deemed as negligible, do you have an itemised breakdown example?
You know I can't quantify exactly how much keeping a few web pages on line would cost Adobe. They're a major player in big data and the imaging side of the business is no big deal to them. Keeping a few pages open and the bandwidth needed to service those pages is minimal in their big corporate picture.
Quote
‘Adobe don’t care’, well that is just your opinion and I can only guess based on the fact that you probably hate the subscription model?  But then why rant on about it as you are several generations behind and do not care about the new versions of PS?
No, not particularly bothered with the new PS, but if I could buy LR I would, possibly even PS, but those options are no longer available.
I won't subscribe.
Quote
A company that does not care and does not innovate will not survive long term
Adobe are looking elsewhere for their major profits anyway.
Keeping the imaging products ticking away on subscription is a useful cash cow now. It's clear anyone that doesn't want to play their game can just go away regardless of their past loyalty and custom.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: rdonson on May 11, 2019, 03:00:20 pm
PMP5 isn't hardware.You know I can't quantify exactly how much keeping a few web pages on line would cost Adobe. They're a major player in big data and the imaging side of the business is no big deal to them. Keeping a few pages open and the bandwidth needed to service those pages is minimal in their big corporate picture.No, not particularly bothered with the new PS, but if I could buy LR I would, possibly even PS, but those options are no longer available.
I won't subscribe.Adobe are looking elsewhere for their major profits anyway.
Keeping the imaging products ticking away on subscription is a useful cash cow now. It's clear anyone that doesn't want to play their game can just go away regardless of their past loyalty and custom.

I'm not sure why you dislike Adobe.  Most of us work or worked for companies that made or hope to make profits.  It's a system called capitalism.  Not a perfect system perhaps but it seems we don't have much of an alternative yet.  Wall Street expects more profit every quarter.  Woe to those companies who don't.

Some may dislike a subscription service.  Some of us like it.  Count me as one who likes it.  I like the periodic updates and advances that in the past only happened every 12-18 months.  I like the hit me a little each month for the subscription versus for a lot more money every year or so.  The good news is you have a choice.  You can subscribe or not.  If you chose not to subscribe I don't understand why you complain about the subscription model. 

Instead of blasting Adobe it might be better to focus on a solution to your problem of getting some old software.  If it's available I'm sure that Adobe will help you find it.  I wonder how many requests Adobe gets for that version. 
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: faberryman on May 11, 2019, 03:18:31 pm
Some may dislike a subscription service.  Some of us like it.  Count me as one who likes it.  I like the periodic updates and advances that in the past only happened every 12-18 months.  I like the hit me a little each month for the subscription versus for a lot more money every year or so.  The good news is you have a choice.  You can subscribe or not.  If you chose not to subscribe I don't understand why you complain about the subscription model.
There are plenty of options. If you like LR/PS subscribe. If you don't like the subscription model, choose something else. Whining about it won't get you anywhere.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 03:21:37 pm
Question:  What is PMP5 exactly?

I do know that you are unable to quantify costs as you are also unable to estimate costs for staff time, customer support to deal with any queries relating to installation, licensing etc etc.  Nevertheless it is more relevant than just declaring that cost are only related to keeping a few web pages open and a guess that costs are minimal.  All costs need to be accounted for in keeping a business if you want to survive, it is the cumulative effect of missing the seemingly insignificant that can lead to less than stellar results.

Options for LR taken away due to subscription no go area, I understand and sympathise with your stance.  Still you have choices of excellent raw editors that will give LR a run for money according to many along with DAM applications, some even FOC  ;D

Where do you believe Adobe are looking now for their major profits?

It seems to me that loyalty to companies and products has long passed us by, if it really existed in the first place!   For now I am sticking mainly with Adobe in spite of me telling them that I did not like their subscription model and them ignoring my pleas for both subscription and perpetual (limited) options they ignored me.  I never declared fealty to Adobe neither did they to me so I am free to choose, as they are to alter their business model to suit them, their shareholders whatever.






Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: digitaldog on May 11, 2019, 03:28:25 pm
There are plenty of options. If you like LR/PS subscribe. If you don't like the subscription model, choose something else. Whining about it won't get you anywhere.
+1 but some have nothing better to do than whine. And considering the state of problems on the planet, that so many need to whine, so often about one software company, gotta wonder about their priorities  :'(
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: digitaldog on May 11, 2019, 03:32:53 pm
PMP5 is ProfileMaker Pro. Without supported hardware not too useful and old enough that it doesn't run on some modern systems anyway. Very expensive special use product that isn't remotely useful to compare with ANY Adobe products.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 03:37:48 pm
I'm pretty sure I still have floppy around her somewhere with PCDOS 3.1 on it.
Now, where did I put that thing?   8)
Eric, I am pretty sure that you can get some cream to cure that problem even without prescription  ;D  ;)





Really, really, sorry I just could not resist - no offence meant  :)
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 03:42:23 pm
Where do you believe Adobe are looking now for their major profits?
The products dealing with big data. If you'd been to an Adobe Max conference you'd know how unimportant the imaging products are in Adobe's portfolio.
It's now just a side line. Which why they don't care about the small customers anymore.

Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 03:50:50 pm
PMP5 is ProfileMaker Pro. Without supported hardware not too useful and old enough that it doesn't run on some modern systems anyway. Very expensive special use product that isn't remotely useful to compare with ANY Adobe products.
Thank you Andrew.   Having worked/consulted with X-Rite many years ago (an upstart how did they assimilate GretagMacbeth  ;D) and knowing them to be hardware oriented I assumed that PMP5 was software but had not made the Profilemaker Pro connection.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 04:15:48 pm
The products dealing with big data. If you'd been to an Adobe Max conference you'd know how unimportant the imaging products are in Adobe's portfolio.
It's now just a side line. Which why they don't care about the small customers anymore.
Never been to an Adobe Max conference, have you and is there any synopsis of the one?

In the meantime and short term I am following this advice  :D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0lOtdvqyg

If they do not care and as we all have alternatives I do not subscribe to this school of thought either  ;D
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V7NlFWh7Sz8
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 04:39:06 pm
Never been to an Adobe Max conference, have you
Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.

I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: digitaldog on May 11, 2019, 04:45:08 pm
Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.
Been too, moot. The software products provide certain functions at a certain cost. You and I and other's either find the price to benefit useful or you and I and other's don't. Like ANY other product or service. I can't waste my time figuring out the political or monetary motivations of every company's CEO, board of directors etc. I don't eat at Chick-Fil-A because I find their political meanderings less than tasty, I don't eat or support them because the one time I did, I found the food rather vile. I don't find Adobe products to fall into that camp, they do the job I expect of them better than anything else I've tried. That's what people need to learn more about; if the products they purchase provide a reasonable price to benefit ratio. Bitching about it isn't going to do squat. You don't like Adobe, don't spend your money with them. Simple.

Quote
I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.
I can write pages of complaints about their software based on my needs. Not enough where I'm switching but plenty to critique. And as beta since 1995 or so, complaining enough, correctly, in the right venues can affect some changes (no guarantees). It's rather curious that actual customers don't spend their time constructively and where it's going to do the most good for them.   
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 11, 2019, 05:09:53 pm
Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.

I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.
What a shame you have to resort to inane comments once called out.  Your bitching here has been noticed by others as is your need to put your own spin on what people are trying to tell you to fit your agenda

No one here is being defensive about Adobe and your spin on what you need to support your case is poor as is your denial of your own statements and refusal to answer specifics.

You feel the need to raise an old rant about Adobe even though 10 years behind and not even contacted them directly, OK you’ve done.  Best advice just move on!
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 05:13:31 pm
You don't like Adobe, don't spend your money with them. Simple.
Agreed. I'm a firm believer in voting with my wallet.
Since the mess at the CS5/6 upgrade path I've stopped spending any more with Adobe. There are plenty of other products that compete.
But that doesn't stop me from being annoyed that having spent a lot with them in the past they care so little.

Life moves on; Resolve is now better than Premiere, Affinity offers serious competition to Photoshop and InDesign, Capture One is close and better in some aspects than LR.
Adobe's dominance in imaging is under threat. The future will tell if their strategy for imaging products works in the really long term or not.
Adobe's future is not in imaging products, as Schewe has implied before.

Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Rhossydd on May 11, 2019, 05:21:16 pm
No one here is being defensive about Adobe
ROFL

Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: bobfriedman on May 11, 2019, 05:25:51 pm
I have a CS6 CD for the Mac if anyone really needs it.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: digitaldog on May 11, 2019, 05:54:51 pm
Adobe's future is not in imaging products, as Schewe has implied before.
No one here, Schewe included, can predict the future. Pointless, absurd. If and when Adobe announce they no longer sell and support PS and LR, let's talk.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: rdonson on May 11, 2019, 06:15:18 pm
Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.

I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.

You came here seeking an answer to a problem.  People aren't necessarily defensive about Adobe.  You diverted attention from getting a solution to your problem to a bit of a rant about Adobe. People in this forum will be incredibly helpful if you stick to the issue at hand. 

========================

FWIW I've been to past Adobe Max events.  It can be quite exhilarating to attend.  It's not the end all be all though.  If you're looking for guidance on their direction their financial reports and Wall Street reports can cover that as well. 

For those who can't attend Adobe usually posts sessions on their site if you'd like to check them out. 

https://2018.max.adobe.com/sessions/max-online/

Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Chris Kern on May 11, 2019, 06:47:33 pm
If you'd been to an Adobe Max conference you'd know how unimportant the imaging products are in Adobe's portfolio.

That may well be true: my impression (as a former institutional customer) is that a large portion of Adobe's revenue is attributable to volume purchasers.

Quote
the imaging products are . . .
now just a side line. Which why they don't care about the small customers anymore.

Actually, I would argue just the opposite: the photography plan for Lightroom and Photoshop seems to have been crafted as a special concessionary price for single and low-volume purchasers.

Adobe's future is not in imaging products, as Schewe has implied before.

On this site?  Can you provide a link to where he said that?  I recall that he has made the point that photographers constitute a small proportion of Adobe's customer base, but it's also my recollection that he said it in a context where he was making the same point I made above: that the company's subscription offerings actually favor low-volume licensees.

I don't feel any particular "loyalty" to Adobe,* but I use Lightroom and Photoshop almost every day, and several of the company's other products less frequently, and until I find better or equally functional and less-expensive alternatives, I'm comfortable with both Adobe's price-point and the convenience of keeping my software up-to-date.

——
*Or any other software vendor, for that matter.  I'm satisfied with my Apple hardware, but their software support policy really pisses me off: they almost never acknowledge unresolved bugs (or, often, even resolved ones).  But, as Tony Soprano used to say, "whaddayagonnado?"
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: digitaldog on May 11, 2019, 08:22:45 pm
I have been printing using Photoshop 2017 because I like to print a black border on my prints and this feature is bugged in the newer versions of Photoshop.  Adobe has known about this bug for a couple years but has done nothing to fix it yet.  It's a feature that has been in photoshop for many many years...

I am not pleased...
You mean Border seen below? Because it absolutely works on my copy (prints a black border based as size configured).
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: hogloff on May 11, 2019, 08:23:21 pm
I'm pretty sure I still have floppy around her somewhere with PCDOS 3.1 on it.
Now, where did I put that thing?   8)

Oh, don't worry about it. IBM has your back. Just go onto their site and download it along with all the patches...good to go!
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: hogloff on May 11, 2019, 08:29:52 pm
Yes. Maybe you need to learn a little more about what Adobe actually do.

I always find it curious that people get so incredibly defensive about Adobe and won't allow any criticism of them.

Criticism is fine...but when it turns into childish whining...it's time to move onto something that doesn't cause thus excessive whining.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Peter McLennan on May 11, 2019, 09:51:40 pm
I like to print a black border on my prints and this feature is bugged in the newer versions of Photoshop.  Adobe has known about this bug for a couple years but has done nothing to fix it yet.
I am not pleased...


Neither am I.  The print dialog is still borked, too.  "Print" quite often returns a gibberish preview.  They promised us more intensive bug fixes with the subscription model.  They have not delivered, IMHO.

digitaldog, if your print function delivers a correctly printed border, then that must be a MacOS bonus.  It's still broken in Windows 10 and the latest PSCC offering.  Has been for nearly two years now

For a real head-scratcher, try investigating that Adobe did to those who used the website builder "Muse" to earn their living.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: digitaldog on May 11, 2019, 10:08:34 pm
digitaldog, if your print function delivers a correctly printed border, then that must be a MacOS bonus.  It's still broken in Windows 10 and the latest PSCC offering. 
Yup, zero such issues under Mac OS.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Zen8 on May 11, 2019, 11:13:11 pm
I have been doing some reading about this and yes it appears to effect older versions. You can still download LR6 from Adobe's site but not previous versions. I also read that if you call customer service you can get older versions.

It appears this has to do with Java licenses and the way they changed it. That's why the adobe email talks about copyright infringement of 3rd parties. I didn't get the email but others did. I may have but I usually just delete them because they are typically promoting upgrades or other plans.


https://www.lakesidesoftware.com …ensing-changes-impact-you (external link)

https://dazwallace.wordpress.com/2019/05/08/the-great-adobe-purge-of-19/
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 12, 2019, 05:39:08 am
Oh, don't worry about it. IBM has your back. Just go onto their site and download it along with all the patches...good to go!

The various versions can be downloaded
here: https://winworldpc.com/product/pc-dos/1x , or
here: https://archive.org/details/IBMPC-DOSOldCollection    ;)

These links were among the first that Google turned up with.

Try that with Adobe software ...

The whole issue is one of trust. Professional users have to do contingency planning, including making a 'Plan-B' in order to avoid being confronted with showstoppers (usually when least convenient). For that, a business-relation needs to be trustworthy, fair to both stakeholders, and predictable (in a good sense). Given Adobe's track-record, one can (should) ask oneself if investing (time, effort, and money) in something that seems to take a questionable direction is a wise thing. That question will be answered differently by different users.

I have chosen to spend my resources on 'better' alternatives.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 12, 2019, 08:23:08 am
Waiting for paint to dry so out of curiosity contacted Adobe about downloading antiquated software.  To my surprise quick response, Sunday afternoon total time of conversation 5 minutes, bottom line positive can be seen from the conversation
EDIT: I have removed the name of the Adobe customer support guy which was shown in the original conversation
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: hogloff on May 12, 2019, 08:35:32 am
The various versions can be downloaded
here: https://winworldpc.com/product/pc-dos/1x , or
here: https://archive.org/details/IBMPC-DOSOldCollection    ;)

These links were among the first that Google turned up with.

Try that with Adobe software ...

The whole issue is one of trust. Professional users have to do contingency planning, including making a 'Plan-B' in order to avoid being confronted with showstoppers (usually when least convenient). For that, a business-relation needs to be trustworthy, fair to both stakeholders, and predictable (in a good sense). Given Adobe's track-record, one can (should) ask oneself if investing (time, effort, and money) in something that seems to take a questionable direction is a wise thing. That question will be answered differently by different users.

I have chosen to spend my resources on 'better' alternatives.

Cheers,
Bart

For me, I tried a bunch of alternatives...actually liked a few...but at least 50% of these alternatives are gone...just disappeared. Now I just stick with Adobe as it is the most complete, powerful and for me most productive solution...that for a professional is very important.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: hogloff on May 12, 2019, 08:40:44 am
The various versions can be downloaded
here: https://winworldpc.com/product/pc-dos/1x , or
here: https://archive.org/details/IBMPC-DOSOldCollection    ;)

These links were among the first that Google turned up with.

Try that with Adobe software ...

The whole issue is one of trust. Professional users have to do contingency planning, including making a 'Plan-B' in order to avoid being confronted with showstoppers (usually when least convenient). For that, a business-relation needs to be trustworthy, fair to both stakeholders, and predictable (in a good sense). Given Adobe's track-record, one can (should) ask oneself if investing (time, effort, and money) in something that seems to take a questionable direction is a wise thing. That question will be answered differently by different users.

I have chosen to spend my resources on 'better' alternatives.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart, those aren't IBM sites. You as a professional would rely on some 3rd party sites to have your back if you lose your installation? Really?
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 12, 2019, 09:17:43 am
Bart, those aren't IBM sites.

Correct, I didn't spend much time searching, as I said these are among the first hits that Google produces. They're probably popular to be so high on the list, and likely to be scrutinized by many already. Maybe IBM has something similar to offer, but I couldn't care less for that software.

Quote
You as a professional would rely on some 3rd party sites to have your back if you lose your installation? Really?

Not if I can avoid it, that's why I keep copies of the original software distributions (and I always purchased the boxed version, with CDs if possible) and updates/bug-fixes, but that doesn't guarantee that the validation procedure succeeds in the future. In fact, my Photoshop CS6 Extended has been spontaneously reset to 30(?)-day trial status several times last year (of course, just as I was finishing a deadline project). It forced me to waste more time on that dead-end track.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Daverich on May 12, 2019, 02:19:28 pm
This is what Adobe has to say about getting older software. I have no reason to try it but I notice they say to call if you can’t find what you’re looking for.....

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: digitaldog on May 12, 2019, 02:24:02 pm
This is what Adobe has to say about getting older software. I have no reason to try it but I notice they say to call if you can’t find what you’re looking for.....

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html (https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html)
Works for me. My old purchases and serial numbers, even pre CC are all there.
Of course I archive all my old installers in the first place.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: kirkt on May 12, 2019, 04:40:12 pm
This does not appear to be so much about updating older software, but removing access to specific CC versions that appear to be the subject of a lawsuit (perhaps between Dolby and Adobe).  The versions that have been removed by Adobe, through no fault of the paying subscribers, likely violate licensing/technology that is being contested.  In other words, Adobe appears to have violated some sort of licensing and is removing all software that may have that technology in it to avoid further lawsuits.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/older-versions-of-cc-apps-no-longer-legal

It also appears that this is being couched in the spin of keeping all users of the CC plan as up to date as possible by only offering the latest two versions for download while, ironically, Adobe continues to offer for download much older (pre-CC) versions that likely do not violate the licensing that the previous CC versions potentially do.

This is some of the verbiage that was issued by Adobe:

http://m3-page.mail.adobe.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=%40S4EsvFMJsMlXcwyPwzy8BqClz2zaLacSDg5JyRvKYjg%3D

and here is the vague blog entry that couches this in the "keep up to date" reasoning:

https://theblog.adobe.com/changes-to-creative-cloud-download-availability

One might interpret this as Adobe protecting itself at the expense of customers who pay the subscription to access the versions of software that have suddenly been made unavailable.  For customers who pay the subscription and need access to those versions, I can understand how that might make them unhappy.

It would be nice if Adobe was more straightforward and explained to its paying subscribers affected by their decision, in plain language, why the CC applications subject to disagreement are being removed from users' access, instead of just suddenly, and with little explanation, removing access (or attempting to make it seem like they are just super concerned about all CC users staying up to date as possible).

As a side note - Adobe's "keep up to date" blog entry states that the CC versions available for install will be for the previous two versions, but in my current version of the CC Desktop app, I can only download CC v 20.X (PS CC2019).  No other versions are available.  A couple of things to take away from this: this is not being handled real smoothly, and, please Adobe, can you update your application naming conventions so that the versions are homologized and consistent.

kirk
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 13, 2019, 07:59:29 am
This is what Adobe has to say about getting older software. I have no reason to try it but I notice they say to call if you can’t find what you’re looking for.....

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html
Yes, exactly the procedure taken in Reply #55. 
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Zen8 on May 13, 2019, 08:41:06 am
I apologize if something similar has been mentioned and I missed.

Maybe this statement by Victoria Brampton on an Adobe forum will clarify things:

Just to confirm what Laura said, perpetual licenses are all still authorized exactly as before. This change only affects subscriptions.

For perpetual license owners, your existing installs are fine. If you need to reinstall, only the latest Lightroom perpetual (6.14) is still available on the public download pages, although customer services have access to earlier versions. If you purchased direct from Adobe, the download links may also show in your account under Order History.

For subscribers, if you're on LR Classic 7 or later, you don't need to do anything. If you're on CC 2015.14 or earlier and can't upgrade to LR Classic, then uninstall, and reinstall 2015.14 from the CC app (currently showing as 6.0, but really 2015.14/6.14) to remain perfectly above board. If you choose not to bother, all that scary legalize is Adobe removing themselves from legal responsibility as they've declared it unauthorized.
https://feedback.photoshop.com …f-cc-apps-no-longer-legal (external link)
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Zen8 on May 13, 2019, 08:43:52 am
This is what Adobe has to say about getting older software. I have no reason to try it but I notice they say to call if you can’t find what you’re looking for.....

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html

Thanks for this. I was looking for this. My old go to link dropped them all expect LR6. Sometimes people are looking for them.

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-previous-version-apps-download.html?sdid=952G4XMS&4699X646641X003063dfcd0ebc7053c37379032b699d   
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: Daverich on May 14, 2019, 02:45:12 pm
Yes, exactly the procedure taken in Reply #55.

Not exactly. The link I posted tells you how to do it without contacting customer service.
Title: Re: Adobe stuff users again.
Post by: TonyW on May 14, 2019, 03:20:41 pm
Not exactly. The link I posted tells you how to do it without contacting customer service.
Yes sorry my bad, it should have read Reply #5  :D
Quote
Assuming you have actually registered your products, have you logged into your Adobe account and can you see your downloads and serial numbers?
https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/downloaded-older-app.html