Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 08, 2019, 12:19:18 pm

Title: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland and possibly with a Green Flash Sunset?
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 08, 2019, 12:19:18 pm
This is an uncommon view of the Cuillins Ridge on Skye from the nearby mainland, in fact I might even go as far as to say it could even be a unique view, but then again I have been photographing the hell out of this region of Scotland on an almost daily basis for the last eight years, so I suppose I am going to find quite a few of these alternate views and perspectives from time to time  :)

If you are interested in reading more about this "Isolated Citadel of Rock" as the Walk Highlands website refers to it, as well as the pronunciation and meaning of the name and how to negotiate your way up it, then go here (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/blabheinn.shtml).

Dave
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: RSL on May 08, 2019, 12:24:36 pm
Very nice, Dave.
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: 32BT on May 08, 2019, 12:32:15 pm
What's up with the greens, Dave?
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on May 08, 2019, 04:44:19 pm
Beautiful! (But yes, there's green both in the patch of sky and in the reflected sun.)
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: rabanito on May 08, 2019, 06:25:20 pm
What's up with the greens, Dave?
Maybe related to the Green Flash?
http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students/courselinks/fall12/atmo170a1s2/1S1P_stuff/atmos_optical_phenomena/optical_phenomena.html

Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: luxborealis on May 08, 2019, 07:52:56 pm
Superb view and capture!
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: stamper on May 09, 2019, 04:07:15 am
Wow. Just as well my sunglasses were handy.
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on May 09, 2019, 04:17:49 am
Great shot. And with the bonus of a green flash?
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: thierrylegros396 on May 09, 2019, 04:25:54 am
Maybe related to the Green Flash?
http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students/courselinks/fall12/atmo170a1s2/1S1P_stuff/atmos_optical_phenomena/optical_phenomena.html

Thanks for the link.

Thierry
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on May 09, 2019, 05:37:01 am
What's up with the greens, Dave?

Yes I know and I have tried to work it out of the shot as best as I can, but it just doesn't seem to want to go away without causing the image to completely fall apart in other areas - my other half seems to think I have captured some kind of weather phenomenon, you know like part of the spectrum of a rainbow or something. But anyhoo, it is green and at this moment in time, it seems beyond my abilities to change it successfully, so it is what it is.

Maybe related to the Green Flash?
http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students/courselinks/fall12/atmo170a1s2/1S1P_stuff/atmos_optical_phenomena/optical_phenomena.html

Yes that may well be what we are looking at here and so my missus might be correct in what she is saying (yet again, annoyingly!!!!), and if so, then aren't I just the lucky so and so that happened to be there and ready to capture it  ;D

Thanks for the feedback everyone, which is always welcome and much appreciated ;)

Dave
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on May 09, 2019, 01:31:53 pm
Yes I know and I have tried to work it out of the shot as best as I can, but it just doesn't seem to want to go away without causing the image to completely fall apart in other areas...

I tried a quick adjustment layer with Selective Colour (with a mask targeting the green areas) plus Content Aware Fill and it works out very well.
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland and possibly with a Green Flash Sunset?
Post by: Chairman Bill on May 09, 2019, 04:14:47 pm
The 'Green Flash' has usually been seen as a green area above the sun as it sets or rises. Your green flash seems somewhat off-set. An interesting phenomenon just the same
Title: Re: Blaven (Blà Bheinn) from the mainland and possibly with a Green Flash Sunset?
Post by: kers on May 09, 2019, 04:28:33 pm
Beautiful mood! well captured and processed!