Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: earlybird on May 07, 2019, 11:58:29 am
-
Hello,
I can not help but think that I am continuing to dig a deeper and deeper hole for myself by relying on Photoshop CS6 and Adobe Camera RAW as my primary workflow.
When I consider my personal opinion of Adobe's current business model, the inevitability that I will eventually have to either accept assimilation or move to another processing platform, and the fact that I continue to preview my RAW conversions using Bridge and the ACR engine I wonder if some competing application will come along that attempts to interpret the .xmp files which I have associated with my RAW files and allow for a quick RAW conversion that somewhat resembles that which I have previously adopted for an image or batch of images.
I understand that each conversion engine is different, but I am wondering if any non Adobe products have made attempts to interpret and translate settings stored in the .xmp files to provide a starting point that is closer than some system wide default.
Are there any applications that provide this sort of function?
Thank you.
-
....non Adobe products have made attempts to interpret and translate settings stored in the .xmp files to provide a starting point that is closer than some system wide default?
I'm directly thinking in the direction of CaptureOne.
I don't know how far Affinity Photo is these days w.r.t. compatibility to Photoshop but it might be worth a try. It's definitely going to be my PS successor.
Regards,
Jaap.
-
Here is a link to On1 addressing this question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaEljrI0MQ4
"Leaving Lightroom Behind with Dan Harlacher" On1 youtube
-
I do not think that there are any non Adobe apps that make full use of Adobe sidecar files. The xmp file is purely a simple text instruction set recording the position of every slider control position in ACR/LR.
Another application would need to copy the Adobe algorithms and follows the Adobe pattern and order of operations to succeed.
-
Here is a link to On1 addressing this question
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaEljrI0MQ4
"Leaving Lightroom Behind with Dan Harlacher" On1 youtube
After about 10 minutes I began to suspect that they were never going to mention whether ON1 references the .xmp files.
-
I do not think that there are any non Adobe apps that make full use of Adobe sidecar files.
Thanks. I don't know of any either, but hope maybe I there is something I don't know about.
The xmp file is purely a simple text instruction set recording the position of every slider control position in ACR/LR.
Yes, this is why it seems possible that some other app could attempt to read the recipe and estimate settings required to emulate the previous conversion.
Another application would need to copy the Adobe algorithms and follows the Adobe pattern and order of operations to succeed.
Yes, but ACR doesn't seem to have an especially complicated combination of parameters. I imagine that the processing is more similar than different on the basic parameters such as color balance, exposure, contrast, highlight/shadow recovery, and white/black point.
I would be happy if something could start with that sort of limited emulation.
Thank you.
-
The XMP is simple English but what it describes is proprietary: Increase Saturation +3. That increase and how pixels end up rendered is proprietary to Adobe.