Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on April 22, 2019, 02:08:05 pm

Title: heron
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 22, 2019, 02:08:05 pm
Taken in my back garden, in Manchester. Species, anyone?

Jeremy
Title: Re: heron
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 22, 2019, 04:33:33 pm
It looks exactly like a Great Blue Heron, from this side of the pond.

Wikipedia says "The great blue heron (Ardea herodias) is a large wading bird in the heron family Ardeidae, common near the shores of open water and in wetlands over most of North America and Central America, as well as the Caribbean and the Galápagos Islands. It is a rare vagrant to coastal Spain, the Azores, and areas of far southern Europe."

Perhaps the British Isles have been floating in a southern direction?
Title: Re: heron
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 23, 2019, 02:31:57 pm
It looks exactly like a Great Blue Heron, from this side of the pond.

Wikipedia says "The great blue heron (Ardea herodias) is a large wading bird in the heron family Ardeidae, common near the shores of open water and in wetlands over most of North America and Central America, as well as the Caribbean and the Galápagos Islands. It is a rare vagrant to coastal Spain, the Azores, and areas of far southern Europe."

Perhaps the British Isles have been floating in a southern direction?

We've certainly had a few rather pleasant warm days, but I think we'd have crashed into France if we were.

I suspect it's a grey heron. I was hoping one of our resident ornithologists would know.

Jeremy
Title: Re: heron
Post by: RSL on April 23, 2019, 02:45:54 pm
At first I didn't think it's a great blue, but I rolled through my collection of 239 great blue pictures and decided he's a great blue -- a bit different from the local variety, but not different enough not to be a great blue.

I have 'em sitting, flying, eating, fishing. You name it. We call our local great blue(s) "George."
Title: Re: heron
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 23, 2019, 04:03:39 pm
From the images I find on the web of Grey Heron, I think it's probably that.
It's range is more appropriate, and the similarity to our Great Blue is very substantial.

Nice shots, Jeremy and Russ.