Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: rabanito on April 19, 2019, 05:54:34 am

Title: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: rabanito on April 19, 2019, 05:54:34 am
Maybe it's only me but I have seen lots of photographs (not only mine) where the bark of trees in a forest (lots of green around) come out with a strong magenta/purple cast.
In nature I perceive them as brown or something but never those casts.
Is it just my imagination, a visual trick coming from some kind of eye adaptation or something that just occurs with digital cameras?
Maybe something to do with the green color of the foliage in the shadows?
I have no idea.
Is there a way to correct it efficiently?

The attached image from a cedar tree. Converted from Raw to jpg without any corrections with LR
The right side has this cast
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: Rob C on April 19, 2019, 06:28:39 am
Girlfriend with bright lipstick suffers from tree-hugger syndrome?

Rob
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 19, 2019, 09:09:20 am
My guess (as a color-deficient "Expert") is that the green foliage shifts the color balance in the "as shot" version.
Taking an initial shot with a gray card would give you something to use for setting color balance with the eye-dropper in LightRoom or PS.
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: LesPalenik on April 19, 2019, 09:22:32 am
If it is a moss, that can take all kinds of shades between yellow, green and gray.
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: degrub on April 19, 2019, 09:25:15 am
i see the magenta cast through the entire image.
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: rabanito on April 19, 2019, 10:26:01 am
In the topic "love those trees" the last picture by Armand, that BTW I like, shows in my screen a strong cast as well.
Looks like browns turn magenta-isch
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: degrub on April 19, 2019, 12:41:52 pm
i think the image needs a bit of cyan added.
Are you working with a wide gamut display like a NEC PA series ?
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on April 19, 2019, 12:52:02 pm
i think the image needs a bit of cyan added.
Are you working with a wide gamut display like a NEC PA series ?

Agreed. It’s a bit red. Perhaps desaturate it a few points as well. Hard to say though until the colour is corrected.
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: rabanito on April 19, 2019, 01:08:48 pm
i think the image needs a bit of cyan added.
Are you working with a wide gamut display like a NEC PA series ?
Well yes, Eizo Color Edge CG222W
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: petermfiore on April 19, 2019, 01:23:38 pm
Rabanito,

Is this closer to what you were seeing when you photographed the tree?

Peter
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: rabanito on April 19, 2019, 02:21:14 pm
Rabanito,

Is this closer to what you were seeing when you photographed the tree?

Peter

Yes, as far as I remember it. It was in the shadows
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: John R on April 19, 2019, 02:37:04 pm
Yes, as far as I remember it. It was in the shadows
Most of my shots taken in shade have a slight magenta or blue cast. Just grab the blue or magenta slider slider in any program and drag toward negative or removal. Do not desaturate on the master level (all colors) or you will lose some of the natural colors and intensity in the browns, greens and greys. BTW, I do find the cedar bark does have some natural red/magenta, but you are referring to an overall cast.

JR
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: Ray on April 19, 2019, 08:46:32 pm
Most of my shots taken in shade have a slight magenta or blue cast. Just grab the blue or magenta slider slider in any program and drag toward negative or removal. Do not desaturate on the master level (all colors) or you will lose some of the natural colors and intensity in the browns, greens and greys. BTW, I do find the cedar bark does have some natural red/magenta, but you are referring to an overall cast.

JR

I also sometimes see a magenta, or red, or blue cast in the shadows at high ISO, or in deep shadows at base ISO, especially when using my 'el cheapo' Nikon DX5300, which is my walk-around camera.

However, I have no problem in removing such a cast in Photoshop. I'm not familiar with LR. Photoshop serves my purposes. To remove any cast in Photoshop one clicks on the 'Image' heading at the top of the Photoshop page, then 'adjustments', then 'Hue/Saturation'. This brings up a small window as depicted in the attached jpeg.

All you need to do is select the color which you associate with the cast, such as magenta, then move the pointer to the part of the image where the cast is most apparent, click, then reduce saturation with the slider. Sometimes what you think is magenta is not, and the color name in the window will change accordingly.
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: David Sutton on April 19, 2019, 11:19:13 pm
Rabanito,
I colour correct in Photoshop, using a threshold layer to find black and white points with detail and then colour correct shadows, midtones and highlights separately with curves layers. "With detail" meaning there's no point trying to correct a spot where one of the channels reads 0 or 255.
I have this set up as an action, so it doesn't take long.
I tried this on your photo. I have no idea if it's an improvement as I'm on my laptop without a corrected screen.
Does it give you a better starting point?
Title: Re: Magenta/Purple Trees
Post by: rabanito on April 20, 2019, 11:28:37 am
Thank you for the many replies, friends!!!
I've tried all of them and most work.

Still I'm curious. Why does this happen?
I'll try photographing a gray card in the green woods, as Eric proposes and see what happens with "as shot"