Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Dinarius on April 08, 2019, 12:56:27 pm

Title: Epson R2400 - Reds looking 'muddy'?
Post by: Dinarius on April 08, 2019, 12:56:27 pm
I'm back printing on my Epson R2400 after a long break. So, a steep learning curve!

I made a few prints and they were perfect.

Then, for no reason I can fathom, the reds turned very muddy.

The shots are of red roses.

One file printed perfectly. But, another file is muddy and unusable in the reds.

I don't think I've set anything incorrectly and I tried another shot which doesn't contain any reds and it printed ok.

I did have to pull back the exposure a little in Capture One. But, I don't think the reds are blown. Everything looks perfect in C1 and perfect in CS6 preview.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Epson R2400 - Reds looking 'muddy'?
Post by: rasworth on April 08, 2019, 03:37:02 pm
Don't want to be insulting, but have you done a nozzle check?  Otherwise my guess is something went awry in the color management chain.

Richard Southworth
Title: Re: Epson R2400 - Reds looking 'muddy'?
Post by: digitaldog on April 08, 2019, 03:40:55 pm
What OS? Does this Epson have the 16-bit checkbox?
Test using a color reference image.
The color reference images RGB values are such they are set for output and are editing. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not an image specific issues:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip (http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip)
Title: Re: Epson R2400 - Reds looking 'muddy'?
Post by: Dinarius on April 09, 2019, 03:53:31 am
Thanks for the replies.

The test sheet is great.

I ran it and the reds looked awful.

So, I ran the head cleaner and it seemed to have to do a lot of work on the reds.

I then printed another test sheet - massive improvement, though the reds seem like they could be a bit more brilliant. But, that could just be viewing conditions vs what I'm seeing on the screen.

Anyway...

What is best practice as regards head cleaning? i.e. How do I avoid wasting a sheet or two of expensive Hahnemuhle paper and a lot of ink discovering I need to clean the heads?

Do I only discover that the heads need cleaning when it's too late?

Thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Epson R2400 - Reds looking 'muddy'?
Post by: rasworth on April 09, 2019, 09:57:21 am
I generally run the nozzle check utility (separate from head cleaning) often, with plain paper.  Run it in manual mode, it hardly uses any ink, easy to see if all of your nozzles are clear.  It's a lot cheaper than wasting your Hahnemuhle and much more ink.

Richard Southworth
Title: Re: Epson R2400 - Reds looking 'muddy'?
Post by: dgberg on April 09, 2019, 10:03:39 am
Not sure I understand?

"The test sheet is great.
I ran it and the reds looked awful."

Sounds like it wasn't good. Just use a sheet of plain paper and run a manual nozzle check before printing as Richard states.
Keep the humidity level above 45 and print once a week and it should reduce your clogs considerably.

Title: Re: Epson R2400 - Reds looking 'muddy'?
Post by: Dinarius on April 09, 2019, 10:43:41 am
Not sure I understand?

"The test sheet is great.
I ran it and the reds looked awful."

Sounds like it wasn't good. Just use a sheet of plain paper and run a manual nozzle check before printing as Richard states.
Keep the humidity level above 45 and print once a week and it should reduce your clogs considerably.

Sorry for my bad construction...

I should have said that the test sheet was ok except for the reds, which were bad.

When you say "manual nozzle check", what do you mean? Via the button on the R2400, or via the software?

Thanks.

D.
Title: Re: Epson R2400 - Reds looking 'muddy'?
Post by: dgberg on April 09, 2019, 12:00:38 pm
On most Epson's when selecting manual from the printer it will print the standard nozzle pattern.
Your auto selection will print blocks of colors but if it detects a blocked/clogged nozzle it will clean and then reprint the block pattern until cleared.
No real reason to do auto, I would stick with manual.
Title: Re: Epson R2400 - Reds looking 'muddy'?
Post by: nirpat89 on April 09, 2019, 12:30:30 pm
Sorry for my bad construction...

I should have said that the test sheet was ok except for the reds, which were bad.

When you say "manual nozzle check", what do you mean? Via the button on the R2400, or via the software?

Thanks.

D.

If  I do not print for a while, I do a nozzle check before printing on any good paper.  Regardless, I do nozzle check every couple weeks if I have not printed in the meantime.  The nozzle check prints all inks and all nozzles, a good way of keeping all those lines well-conditioned.  The manual "nozzle check" facility on the Utility tab in my P400.  In older drivers, I think it is called Maintenance.