Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Joe S on April 07, 2019, 06:23:26 pm
-
I am a big fan of Harman by Hahnemuhle' Baryta Gloss and purchased a quantity when B and H offered it on sale. All was well until my 3880 died and I got a P800. The 3880 handled the paper ( which does have a curl along the length in cut sheets) without problem loaded right through the top even in 17x25 sizes. The P800 does not do so well even with a wide gap and gigantic paper thickness settings. Ink strike marks along the right side are standard. I tried to uncurl and flatten that edge with frustrating results. I decided to try a homemade decurler and the results have been fantastic. I was aware of this device for use after printing but not before.
It has made life with the P800 possible. I have found that the newer Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta is also prone to edge curl to a lesser degree even in the 8.5x11 size I have tried so it may be useful there as well.
There have been posts of troublesome issues with the P800 and Baryta paper and I would like to suggest trying this approach. It's an extra step but only takes a few minutes on a 2" roll and then it's smooth printing.
-
Thanks... tell us more about the home made decurler!
Rand
-
Thanks... tell us more about the home made decurler!
Rand
I used a length of 1-1/2" PVC pipe (actual OD is 1.9") and some sailcloth scrap I had lying around. I don't think its too critical but the fabric should be stiff so it rolls up nicely. Heavy canvas or even stiff paper would work well. I contact cemented it to the pipe and rolled it up to reverse the curl. It only takes a few minutes until it has a bit of reverse curve and rests flat or maybe with the ends reverse curling a bit down in the printer.
-
I just finished my first roll of Canson Baryta Photographique on a P800. I had no problems till the roll was almost at an end, when I got head strikes. I also noted that the last 5 feet of the roll had indentations from where the end was glued to the core. So it is not really a 50 foot roll, but actually ~45 usable feet.
This decurling technique may mitigate the headstrike issues I saw. I presume it was because the curl problem is greater towards the end of the roll. I just loaded a new roll of the same paper, and no problems.