Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: bobfriedman on April 05, 2019, 10:30:51 am

Title: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: bobfriedman on April 05, 2019, 10:30:51 am
Notice the background..

Original

(https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/169009472/original.jpg)

used Stabilize + 0.7 Remove Blur

(https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/169009473/original.jpg)


this one is more pronounced.

(https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/169009507/original.jpg)

(https://pbase.com/bobfriedman/image/169009510/original.jpg)
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: Paul2660 on April 05, 2019, 12:21:32 pm
I have seen similar issues with a blue sky only with stabilize.

As sky needed no sharpening just layered back to original.

It’s as if stabilize is forcing a sharpening from nothing so it creates the banding.

As with all Topaz products that are stand alone you can’t layer within the app or run as a plugin so it just creates an extra step.

Paul C
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: Arlen on April 06, 2019, 01:59:48 pm
Bob, thanks for pointing out the banding. I haven't used the Stabilize mode much, but I will watch out for that artifact.

Paul, you can run Sharpen AI as a plugin in Photoshop. That's what I almost always do. Maybe you meant to say you CAN layer or run it as a plugin?
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: Paul2660 on April 06, 2019, 04:26:01 pm
My bad.

I was thinking about gigapixel. I don’t believe it has plugin capabilities.

Sharpen AI works well as a plugin.

Paul C
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: MichaelEzra on April 08, 2019, 11:16:34 am
Notice the background..

Bob, I am cusrious, whether it is banding - what was on the background there - just the foliage or was there a net with that pattern? Perhaps the pattern was restored?
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: bjanes on April 08, 2019, 12:00:58 pm
Bob, I am cusrious, whether it is banding - what was on the background there - just the foliage or was there a net with that pattern? Perhaps the pattern was restored?

+1

I had the same thought. It would be interesting to brighten the background of the original image to look for a pre-existing pattern.

Regards

Bill
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: bobfriedman on April 08, 2019, 12:52:22 pm
Bob, I am cusrious, whether it is banding - what was on the background there - just the foliage or was there a net with that pattern? Perhaps the pattern was restored?

No net.  Just some foliage. Trees mostly
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: leuallen on April 08, 2019, 04:53:02 pm
Looks like there was part of a brick wall back there.
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: bobfriedman on April 08, 2019, 08:40:53 pm
Looks like there was part of a brick wall back there.

yep... but it was trees. anyway, you get my point that was algorithmic banding..
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: Arlen on April 10, 2019, 11:18:46 am
Bob, I've noticed a different banding pattern on some images that are processed in a particular way, in areas very similar to your background. I'll describe it when I have time. But in the meantime, could you tell us how the Sharpen AI processing was done? Did you open it from Lightroom, or another program? Using SAI as a standalone program, or as a plugin? On a regular layer, or a Smart Object?
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: bobfriedman on April 10, 2019, 03:46:04 pm
Bob, I've noticed a different banding pattern on some images that are processed in a particular way, in areas very similar to your background. I'll describe it when I have time. But in the meantime, could you tell us how the Sharpen AI processing was done? Did you open it from Lightroom, or another program? Using SAI as a standalone program, or as a plugin? On a regular layer, or a Smart Object?

created a flat TIFF, used AI Sharpen as a standalone.. I don't use LR..
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: earlybird on April 15, 2019, 09:14:43 am
I am using Photoshop CS6 in Win 7 x64 and Sharpen AI as a plug in.

I have noticed a weird pattern of "color bursts" show up on the top edge, or border, of my landscape pictures.

I have attached an example.
Title: Re: Topaz Sharpen AI Banding
Post by: bobfriedman on April 15, 2019, 02:30:35 pm
I have noticed a weird pattern of "color bursts" show up on the top edge, or border, of my landscape pictures.

I have also tried monochrome images but SAI works in color and creates output color image from grayscale input. When viewed close I have seen fine grain color noise. Albeit not as dramatic as you example.