Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on April 02, 2019, 02:53:53 pm

Title: tracery
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 02, 2019, 02:53:53 pm
Full, cropped, or something in between?

Or none of the above?

Jeremy
Title: Re: tracery
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 02, 2019, 05:49:23 pm
I prefer the cropped version (sorry, Russ) because the tracery is clearly the subject.
In the full scene, the tree trunks and shadows seem to fight for dominance.

I like this kind of image.
Title: Re: tracery
Post by: RSL on April 02, 2019, 07:47:19 pm
You know what? You can crop with the camera. It's called "framing."
Title: Re: tracery
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 03, 2019, 08:58:18 am
You know what? You can crop with the camera. It's called "framing."

I can't use a camera to get from the first to the second image here, Russ. They're just different shapes.

Jeremy
Title: Re: tracery
Post by: RSL on April 03, 2019, 09:15:21 am
Yes, Jeremy, and I sometimes crop -- often when I'm post-processing the dress rehearsal for a play. But that's because the stage is up there and I'm back here. I can walk right up to the stage and then back as far as I want, but good framing on the camera often is impossible. But you know what my point was. 
Title: Re: tracery
Post by: MattBurt on April 04, 2019, 12:26:28 pm
I think the trunks and the amount of contrast they introduce is distracting from the more interesting delicate shadows.
I think a composition with either no trunks or more trunks distributed around might work better.
Title: Re: tracery
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 06, 2019, 12:48:28 pm
Yes, Jeremy, and I sometimes crop -- often when I'm post-processing the dress rehearsal for a play. But that's because the stage is up there and I'm back here. I can walk right up to the stage and then back as far as I want, but good framing on the camera often is impossible. But you know what my point was.

I do. But you can't change the aspect ratio by moving.

Jeremy