Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: jssadowsky on March 26, 2019, 11:30:06 am

Title: To Flip or Not-to-Flip
Post by: jssadowsky on March 26, 2019, 11:30:06 am
I took this image at Joshua Tree National Park (March 23, 2019) with an A7R III - three exposure focus stack combined in Photoshop.  Now, which horizontal orientation is superior, and please comment of rules of composition.  (I'm not going to tell you which is the unflipped version.)
Title: Re: To Flip or Not-to-Flip
Post by: mbaginy on March 26, 2019, 11:36:23 am
I prefer the first image.

But I admit that I flipped two images when making prints displayed at the company I worked for.  Nobody noticed (so it seems), but every time I saw those landscapes I was displeased.  Don't think I'll do that again.
Title: Re: To Flip or Not-to-Flip
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 26, 2019, 11:42:47 am
I also prefer the first.
Title: Re: To Flip or Not-to-Flip
Post by: KMRennie on March 26, 2019, 01:23:32 pm
First for me. Ken
Title: Re: To Flip or Not-to-Flip
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 27, 2019, 12:08:41 pm
I prefer the first image.

But I admit that I flipped two images when making prints displayed at the company I worked for.  Nobody noticed (so it seems), but every time I saw those landscapes I was displeased.  Don't think I'll do that again.

I totally agree. I am happy to flip macro shots or abstracts as there is no reference point and no one else will ever see the same thing and know or realise, but real landscapes and real places that other people and photographers can get to and see, then no, keep it real I say. I mean no one would think of flipping Half Dome and getting away with it would they?

Dave
Title: Re: To Flip or Not-to-Flip
Post by: rabanito on March 28, 2019, 06:23:14 am
Now, which horizontal orientation is superior, and please comment of rules of composition.  (I'm not going to tell you which is the unflipped version.)

IMHO landscape photography demands
1. Seeing
2. Then, and only then, taking the photograph

The rest is decorative.

Probably I am  old fashioned but photography has taught many people to see. And that is the important thing