Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Paulo Bizarro on March 22, 2019, 05:52:31 am

Title: Abandoned farm
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 22, 2019, 05:52:31 am
While walking a trail between Santa Clara Velha and Saboia (in Odemira municipality, Portugal) I came across this abandoned farm. The sign has the family name and date (1944). The shot was made around noon, so the light was far from being "perfect".

However, I think that the shot conveys some of the eeriness I felt when walking around the place. I like the contrast between the "old" and the "new" - Spring green fields. Obviously, someone still takes care of the land.

Colour and B&W, still undecided...
Title: Re: Abandoned farm
Post by: dehnhaide on March 22, 2019, 06:17:09 am

Colour and B&W, still undecided...

I'm in for the BW! Way more expressive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Abandoned farm
Post by: francois on March 22, 2019, 06:59:04 am
I also prefer the B&W although the color version is quite good.
Title: Re: Abandoned farm
Post by: stamper on March 22, 2019, 08:02:35 am
Difficult to decide because both are fine images. Worth looking at again to make a decision.
Title: Re: Abandoned farm
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 22, 2019, 08:59:45 am
They are both quite expressive, but with different moods.
In the color version, the contrast between the lushness of the greenery and the desolation of the old building is quite compelling. The B&W version loses the sense of lushness, but enhances the desolation.

If they were mine, I'd print both and put one on a wall for a week, then the other for a week. I'd probably repeat this a few times until I could decide which to keep as #1.

Nice work.
Title: Re: Abandoned farm
Post by: RSL on March 22, 2019, 09:03:02 am
I love it, Paulo! I did a bunch of this stuff fifty years ago (http://www.russ-lewis.com/Voices/intro.html, http://www.russ-lewis.com/photo_gallery/ForTheWind/index.html, and http://www.russ-lewis.com/photo_gallery/Ruins/index.html). I'd go with the color version, partly because the contrails in the sky are so much more pronounced in the B&W, but also because the graphics aren't central to the show.
Title: Re: Abandoned farm
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 22, 2019, 10:15:02 am
Thanks for the comments everyone. I agree that both convey different feelings. Unfortunately, walking along the interior of Odemira municipality (the largest "concelho" in Portugal, by area), it is common to find these abandoned places.