Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: cdd29 on March 18, 2019, 03:26:28 pm

Title: Recommended lenses for Pentax 645z
Post by: cdd29 on March 18, 2019, 03:26:28 pm
Hello. I recently picked up a Pentax 645z and I'm looking for recommendations on lenses. Primarily using this for landscape, night and maybe some astrophotography (mostly wide field, such as Milky Way). Currently have the below lenses:

Pentax FA 645 55-110mm F/5.6
Pentax D FA 55 F/2.8
Title: Re: Recommended lenses for Pentax 645z
Post by: Joe Towner on March 18, 2019, 04:05:11 pm
I tend to have the 45-85 on as my walk around lens.  I LOVE the 28-45mm lens - it's huge, heavy & expensive but amazing & worth it.

Do you stitch with your work?  I love the 75mm, the 120 macro and the 150mm, and for stitched work it's great.

I hear great things about the 35mm, either the A, FA or D FA.
Title: Re: Recommended lenses for Pentax 645z
Post by: Telecaster on March 18, 2019, 04:20:51 pm
I have the earlier FA version of the 35mm and like it a lot. It's a mere wide angle lens (not very or ultra) on a 645D/z, but since I'm not much of a wide guy it's enough for me.  :)

The attached pic isn't much of a showcase for the lens either, but it's the only one I currently have on my iPad. 645D, f/8, ISO 100, taken about a year ago.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Recommended lenses for Pentax 645z
Post by: Dward on March 18, 2019, 05:07:56 pm
The 90mm f/2.8 is the sharpest Pentax medium format lens I own (the others are the FA early 35mm, the 45 2.8, 50 3.5, 75 2.8 (also a great lens), 45-85, 120 macro (excellent), 80-160 4.5, 150 2.8, 200 4.0, and 300 4.0)   I've used the 28-45 and it's wonderfully sharp, although heavy.   The only disadvantage of the 90 is that it's heavy and expensive, but it's also weather-sealed.  Don't overlook the 75 2.8.  It's quite sharp and both small and light.

David V. Ward, Ph. D.
Title: Re: Recommended lenses for Pentax 645z
Post by: MichaelEzra on March 21, 2019, 10:20:16 am
I can recommend these lenses:
35mm A (inexpensive wide, good performer),
45-85 mm (my copy is sharpest around 75mm, possibly sharper than 75mm prime; most reviews mention 45mm end being sharper than 85),
75mm 2.8 FA (a tiny Marvel),
120 mm F4 A (technical, macro, zesty sharp)
150 mm F2.8 FA (magical rendering),
80-160 FA (all around, very convenient, better at 80mm-120 range)

I rented 90mm once. It can render finer detail than 75mm 2.8 FA, partly due to stabilization.
Title: Re: Recommended lenses for Pentax 645z
Post by: paulster on March 21, 2019, 12:56:08 pm
The 28-45 is a fantastic performer for landscapes, despite being a zoom.  Its heft is quite something to get used to though.  I like the 55 or even the 75 for panos.  And the 90 is probably the sharpest lens in the lineup.