Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: BrianWoolf on March 12, 2019, 01:58:08 pm

Title: Need Advise on a good mounting tape
Post by: BrianWoolf on March 12, 2019, 01:58:08 pm
Right now, I am using Filmoplast P90 tape for securing 13x19" epson cold press natural. In this size P90 works fine, but am having problems with larger sizes. Printing from a 24" roll of epson cold press natural, making 24" wide by 18" high sheets. I leave the prints outside to outgas and flatten overnight, down here in florida. The paper does flatten out from its being rolled but starts to curl up slightly on the 24" width. When I try to mount it with the P90, the papers slight curl peels the P90 up,in about 30 seconds or even less. Meaning that I don't have time to sandwich everything together. I do put mounting corners at the bottom to help secure the paper. I have tried linen tape years ago, but don't see it as a good option now. I guess that I need an archival tape with a strong tack. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you, Brian
Title: Re: Need Advise on a good mounting tape
Post by: dchew on March 12, 2019, 04:14:41 pm
P90 Plus has a higher bond strength than P90:
Filmoplast Tapes (https://www.archivalmethods.com/blog/filmoplast-tapes/)

I use P90 Plus for attaching to the underside of the artwork, and Tyvek for attaching the P90 Plus to the backing board.* I wouldn't use Tyvek directly on the artwork.

You might try the Plus version, but I think de-curling the image would be your best bet. There is a recent thread about the D-Roller and other homemade options here:
Best way to straighten up / uncurl roll prints (https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=129330.0)

Dave

*Edit: I do up to 18x24 prints this way in a 28x34 frame, and up to 32" panos in a 40" frame.
Title: Re: Need Advise on a good mounting tape
Post by: BrianWoolf on March 14, 2019, 11:56:35 am
Thank you, Dave.  I didn't even know there was a stronger tape, knew about the roller though.
Brian