Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Mark Nadler on March 12, 2019, 01:08:04 pm

Title: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Mark Nadler on March 12, 2019, 01:08:04 pm
I liked the color combination hidden in this scene.

Comments welcomed.

Mark
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: thierrylegros396 on March 12, 2019, 01:49:17 pm
Beautiful painting.

Thierry
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: KMRennie on March 12, 2019, 01:59:07 pm
The colours are fabulous but I find the slightly out of focus foreground distracting. Ken
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 12, 2019, 03:45:21 pm
The colours are fabulous but I find the slightly out of focus foreground distracting. Ken

I agree; particularly the central stalk.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 12, 2019, 05:03:58 pm
Love the colours.
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Mark Nadler on March 13, 2019, 07:51:37 pm
Thanks to all for your comments.  I have mixed feelings concerning the foreground distraction.  Sometimes I am distracted and sometimes I am not
distracted.  When developing the image I tried to find a foreground crop point that would eliminate any possible distraction.  However, whatever I attempted
created a new potential distraction.  When I view the image as an expression of color I do not see the distraction.  When I view the image as a composition of trees, dried grass, etc. I do see the distraction.  I hope this all makes sense.

mark
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: guido on March 13, 2019, 08:36:50 pm
Beautiful image Mark. Well seen and processed!
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: langier on March 13, 2019, 08:47:52 pm
Lovely!
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Mark Nadler on March 16, 2019, 12:13:16 pm
thanks to both Guido and Langier.  appreciate your positive comments.

mark
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: John R on March 16, 2019, 10:02:17 pm
No matter the minor critiques, it is quite striking in its composition. Well seen.

JR
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 18, 2019, 05:49:16 am
Lovely. But like the others, I wish you had stopped down for complete depth of field.
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on March 18, 2019, 08:15:53 am
I like it as it is. I see the foreground as a (secondary) complement to the background, in terms of colours and tones.
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: OnlyNorth on March 18, 2019, 01:24:58 pm
I like it.
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Mark Nadler on March 22, 2019, 06:59:07 pm
Again, the thanks for the positive comments and smart criticisms.  If I had the chance to again shoot this scene
I would add more depth of field just to avoid any distraction.  If you view this image from a proper viewing distance as opposed
to looking at it on a computer screen that is close to the eyes the distraction -- at least to my eyes -- disappears.
My eyes first focus on the layer of orange in the middle of the image. 


mark
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: HSakols on March 23, 2019, 10:46:14 am
It works!  Nice pulling out the colors of winter.
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 27, 2019, 12:14:37 pm
Beautiful painting.

Thierry

Totally agree, if you can shoot something that looks like a painting, then the image will more often than not turn out to be a good one IMHO.

..and I think this image is a really good example that confirms this idea very well indeed - excellent  :)

Dave
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: PeterAit on March 28, 2019, 10:06:44 am
I agree about the out-of-focus foreground being an issue. But, otherwise it is a beautiful and subtle image.
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Mark Nadler on March 31, 2019, 08:44:01 pm
Thank you Sakols, Dave, and Peter.  One of the benefits of living somewhere that is drab and dark for four months out-of-the-year is that it forces you
to look deeply to find something interesting and beautiful.  I was lucky to "see" this image.

mark
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Vieri Bottazzini on April 04, 2019, 01:23:09 pm
Thanks to all for your comments.  I have mixed feelings concerning the foreground distraction.  Sometimes I am distracted and sometimes I am not
distracted.  When developing the image I tried to find a foreground crop point that would eliminate any possible distraction.  However, whatever I attempted
created a new potential distraction.  When I view the image as an expression of color I do not see the distraction.  When I view the image as a composition of trees, dried grass, etc. I do see the distraction.  I hope this all makes sense.

mark

Hi Mark, perhaps I might offer a suggestion - have you tried to clone out the three little cut stalks that "pop" out of the bottom of the frame? Without those, I think the OOF effect of the stalks would be much less evident, and much less distracting :) Just a suggestion of course. Best regards,

Vieri
Title: Re: Winter scene in yellow, orange, and grey
Post by: Mark Nadler on April 05, 2019, 01:30:20 am
Thanks, Vieri.  I played with lots of different crops and all of them suffered from some defect.  I will try your suggestion
and see if I can't mitigate the distraction. 

Mark