Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Larry451 on March 07, 2019, 07:59:20 pm
-
Hi, My new Z3200 was working fine until I had to install a new Green cart.... which I did but the printer keeps saying cart empty. The cart is new and full of ink and well shaken...
any suggestions
Larry.
-
Have you cleaned the contacts of the cart and in the slot? Coffee filter paper is the preferred material for cleaning.
Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
-
thanks
I'll try that today
regards
Larry.
-
I had a similar problem recently and found that my problem was solved by slicing the label on both sides and then replacing the plastic cap with the contacts from another cartridge.
-
I had a similar problem recently and found that my problem was solved by slicing the label on both sides and then replacing the plastic cap with the contacts from another cartridge.
Good idea!
-
Hi I cleaned the nozzle on the cart and the printer, then I unplugged the printer for a few minutes. restarted and voila, no empty cart sign.
thanks again to all for the suggestions.
great help on this site.
regards
Larry.
-
typed too soon, started to make a profile and the printer told me I have no green ink
back to cutting the labels
Larry.
-
typed too soon, started to make a profile and the printer told me I have no green ink
back to cutting the labels
Larry.
Did that solve it? Normally does but if not, listen whether the printer pumps on that cartridge and then says it's empty. I had a case like that and I assume the membrane valve between pump and bag got stuck one way or another. Took out the ink and put it in a 772 cart with a 70 chip cap, it is easier to fill the bigger carts from the top.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
Hi, no cutting the labels and replacing the top didn't solve the problem. I'm going to order a new green cart today. I'll also try your suggestion
thanks
Larry.
-
Hi Ernst.
Could you explain a bit more how to refill the carts. are you using a syringe?
I could not hear a sound when I replaced the cart. I just get the: "ink cartridge faulty" sign.
thanks
Larry.
-
Hi Ernst.
Could you explain a bit more how to refill the carts. are you using a syringe?
I could not hear a sound when I replaced the cart. I just get the: "ink cartridge faulty" sign.
thanks
Larry.
It could be done with a blunt needle + syringe through a hole at the bottom of the cart, behind the chip cap. Small "rubber" ball in a hole that can be pulled out with a screw etc. But I found that quite a messy thing with the risk that air is getting in the cartridge and pumped out when that cart becomes empty.
Nowadays I buy the 772 carts and put a no 70 chip cap at the bottom. They contain 300ml. When I have inks left for a reason like you experienced I put that ink in a near empty 772 cart from the top. Today I only use the Z3200 and have the Z3100 retired for spare parts so leftover inks of that machine go that way too. The upper cap of the cart can be removed like the lower cap can be removed, cut labels etc. Then with scissors a corner of the ink bag is cut off (highest corner when the cart is on the printer) so a small hole can be made and ink is poured in either with a syringe or a small funnel. Be aware the bags have an inner lining of I guess polyethylene so you must be sure the ink goes within that inner lining bag and not between the lining and outer bag. I fold the bag corner twice to close it and put a paperclip on the fold. Then the cap back on. Empty the cart weighs 120 grams. A new one full weighs 420 grams. I keep the weight somewhere in between when filled, weight 200 to 350 grams. Never go for near empty as air will be sucked into the tubes and heads, At 150 grams I rather throw away the last ink and then a new 772 cart goes in that will not be refilled but sucked to empty. The 772 cartridges are available for some of the more used inks like yellow, light grey, the blacks, light magenta, magenta, light cyan. I cleaned some 772 light grey carts to use for the Gloss Enhancer and Grey inks that are not available in normal 772 carts. Red Blue and Green are still no 70 carts, low consumption.
I expect that the Z9+ gloss enhancer cart (300ml) no 747 can be used as well in the future. Shape is similar to the 772 carts. I doubt there will be a conflict between the inks. Speculating here for sure.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
Hi, Ernst:
thank you.. for going into detail about "how" much appreciated.
I've ordered a new HP 70 green It comes from Quebec(montreal) and I'm in Bancroft Ontario. one province away; 8 to 10 business days.... we have a lot of snow right now but 8-10 days? welcome to Canada. <grin>
regards
Larry.
-
Has anyone tried these. More than one company sells them, but I’ve never had a reason to try them. Some from USA and some from Germany, and some from China,etc
https://cartridgeamerica.com/nvip/hp-designjet-z3200.php#Refill_Accessories
https://www.macroenter.com/hp-refillable/
https://www.ebay.com/i/192580227183?chn=ps&var=492703350684&ul_ref=https%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-117182-37290-0%252F2%253Fmpre%253Dhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fi%25252F192580227183%25253Fchn%25253Dps%252526var%25253D492703350684%2526itemid%253D492703350684_192580227183%2526targetid%253D483852892787%2526device%253Dt%2526adtype%253Dpla%2526googleloc%253D9010790%2526poi%253D%2526campaignid%253D1698888467%2526adgroupid%253D65736218829%2526rlsatarget%253Daud-622524040958%253Apla-483852892787%2526abcId%253D1139396%2526merchantid%253D6296724%2526gclid%253DCj0KCQjwjpjkBRDRARIsAKv-0O2jd2UMjMBWbCQihJYsxeYf7nQ4Q8yjvTd8PGPmXvEChZy9jqlB_KsaAjRIEALw_wcB%2526srcrot%253D711-117182-37290-0%2526rvr_id%253D1891753441707%2526rvr_ts%253D6efeae4f1690aa465f9501b5fff4b77f
Hi Ernst.
Could you explain a bit more how to refill the carts. are you using a syringe?
I could not hear a sound when I replaced the cart. I just get the: "ink cartridge faulty" sign.
thanks
Larry.
-
John,
The third party refillable carts have no pump. I tried similar ones on Deskjets and I always ran into trouble with them on the ink flow. I needed several chip sets too when used with Windows drivers as after some time the chips were not accepted and I had to replace them with another set, reusable for the next switch though. With the Linux Deskjet drivers that problem did not appear. Similar issues with chip boards on the Z3100 and Z3200 that intercepted control from the mainboard. I always used the HP Vivera pigment inks on the Z's but found the 130 ML size a handicap when doing big jobs. Sometimes you did not see a cart switch in a print result, sometimes you do.
For simplicity the 772 carts with a 70 cap are the best. For refilling too.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
Yea, that’s scary. I avoid third party carts in general. Even with the Epson ones they also rarely fit well.
With the HP pigment replacements, I would not personally trust their consistency and certainly not the longevity.
So you need to take the top off of the area of the printer where the ink carts are located to use the
772 inks.
John,
The third party refillable carts have no pump. I tried similar ones on Deskjets and I always ran into trouble with them on the ink flow. I needed several chip sets too when used with Windows drivers as after some time the chips were not accepted and I had to replace them with another set, reusable for the next switch though. With the Linux Deskjet drivers that problem did not appear. Similar issues with chip boards on the Z3100 and Z3200 that intercepted control from the mainboard. I always used the HP Vivera pigment inks on the Z's but found the 130 ML size a handicap when doing big jobs. Sometimes you did not see a cart switch in a print result, sometimes you do.
For simplicity the 772 carts with a 70 cap are the best. For refilling too.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
Hi : one thing that bothers me is the fact that the green cart that I used to replace the cart that came with the printer was a genuine HP 70 cart. Does that mean HP is cutting corners with their carts/chips? Hopefully this isn't a common occurrence..
I used cone's colour ink + carts in many epsons for years without too many issues. ;)
regards
Larry.
-
Hi : one thing that bothers me is the fact that the green cart that I used to replace the cart that came with the printer was a genuine HP 70 cart. Does that mean HP is cutting corners with their carts/chips? Hopefully this isn't a common occurrence..
regards
Larry.
Some time ago I had a blue cart that at some point was rejected by the printer. Inserted another one and it worked fine. Kind of hickup in the firmware/chip recognition, I doubt it is a production issue or an HP policy. Sometimes it is not worth it to analyze issues like that.
EDit: In a separate message to answer John, I added some images but the website did not accept them. Size and type were correct.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
"Sometimes it is not worth it to analyze issues like that."
Well said. It was a bit of a rant.
I really just want to carry on printing with this exceptional Z3200
regards
Larry.
-
Yea, that’s scary. I avoid third party carts in general. Even with the Epson ones they also rarely fit well.
With the HP pigment replacements, I would not personally trust their consistency and certainly not the longevity.
So you need to take the top off of the area of the printer where the ink carts are located to use the
772 inks.
I always used the HP Vivera pigment inks. Both for their longevity and the compatibility with the heads. Costs are reduced by buying bigger carts.
The cartridge compartment lids can not be closed, not something I worry about.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
The cartridge compartment lids can not be closed, not something I worry about.
Noooo way!
Looks so lame on HP! Is that because by the time the 3200 was launched such large cartridges were not available or is it just poor product design?
-
Noooo way!
Looks so lame on HP! Is that because by the time the 3200 was launched such large cartridges were not available or is it just poor product design?
Prints are fine. If I could paint them as good with a barge pole I wouldn't mind either. Yes, at that time nobody thought about 300ml carts.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
If you do production work on the Z you should do it. My printers are covered when not in use so why would one care what they look like.
Thanks for the pics . Ernst. Great.
I don’t understand why the light gray name is scratched out changed though.
When the Z3100 was designed ( they used the same exact case for z3200) they were ever designed for commercial mass production as far as I can see and wanted to keep the size and weight as small as possible. But I agree it would have been smart to accomidate bigger carts with the 3200. Initially for many years they offered a “twin pack” of two carts of the same color at a discount price. Made me mad when they discontinued that offer. I believe it was about that time that Ernst searched for a way to get around that issue, and it worked.
Noooo way!
Looks so lame on HP! Is that because by the time the 3200 was launched such large cartridges were not available or is it just poor product design?
-
I don’t understand why the light gray name is scratched out changed though.
There is no 772 cart with Gray ink. With several Gray 70 carts 3/4 used left and some full but expired it was easier to clean a Light Grey 772 cart and make it a Gray 300 ML one. The one pictured was used and discarded, I fished it from the waste bin and laid caps to it for illustration. It went back into the waste bin.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
Greetings: My new green cart came yesterday and when I installed it I got the same message as before "replace G cartridge".
My thoughts now are: something is wrong with the internal chip reader?
any suggestions ?
regards
Larry.
-
Greetings: My new green cart came yesterday and when I installed it I got the same message as before "replace G cartridge".
My thoughts now are: something is wrong with the internal chip reader?
any suggestions ?
regards
Larry.
Try this:
Shut printer down. Unplug. Pull all carts, put them in a freezer bag and use the opportunity to shake them well.
Turn printer back on. Wait until it asks for a cartridge. Put the green one in first. See what happens.
It will either accept it or not. If it accepts it, there will be a beep and a message saying thanks for using HP genuine inks.
Next replace all the cartridges, then see if it goes on to initialize. If so, you may be good to go. Or it will give you the replace G Cartridge message.
If not, you could have a print mech board issue.
Try the replace all inks first and see what gives.
Best,
Mark
-
Hi, Mark
shut it down unplugged. removed the carts + shaken.... started the printer, it initialized then asked for carts.. green first seemed OK.. added the rest then it told me green needed replacing, tried my other new G cart... same message "replace faulty cart"
Looks like I have problems with the internal board?
regards
Larry.
-
That’s my guess but it could be IDS too - hard to say.
-
Greetings: I spent just over 2 hrs on the phone with tech support about my z3200.. Looks like something is wrong with an internal board, so they will be sending a support person out next week to fix the printer on site. Hurray !!
thanks for all the online help
regards
Larry.
-
Finally--- a month later + it took the tech 3 visits in which he replaced everything that has to do with the ink. I now have my Z3200 working again.
initially it was the green cart which he fixed on the first visit but then the red cart started to smear ink and after two repair visits he replaced everything on the right side of the printer including the board.
I'm certainly going to buy the extended warranty for my printer since I live over 3 hrs. from support, but, bottom line it sure feels good to be printing again.
regards
Larry.
-
The cartridge compartment lids can not be closed, not something I worry about.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
Been bugging me for ages, finally took a saw to it.
William.
-
I have a question on replacing the 772 cart chip with the 70 chip.
Can the chip be pulled off the 70 cart when the ink is at any level?
Plan on start getting some 772 carts but need to know if I can just pull a chip off my 70 empties.
Or is a chip resetter required?
-
In my experience you can just pull them off the empties, no chip rest required. I used to try to do it just before the 70 was reported empty but I missed it last time and it still worked fine.
William.
-
Thanks William.
Will it read the correct amount of ink that is in the 772 cart? Or do you get no reading at all?
-
Dan:
You do not need to pull the chip itself off, but remove the whole cap by slicing the paper label on either side.
And no, it will not read the correct amount remaining, but periodic checking of the cart by pulling it out of the printer works just fine.
-
The printer won't report the level of the 772 and the status will say something like "Very Low" or sometimes "Altered". I make a note of the total usage to date of the ink in question when I load a new 772 so that I can keep an eye on it's level without pulling it and weighing it.
William.