Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: RMW on March 05, 2019, 05:46:03 pm

Title: Day Or Nite In The Southern Marsh
Post by: RMW on March 05, 2019, 05:46:03 pm
A few months ago I posted a similar foto taken at the same place and a few minutes apart.
I think this one works better as it looks more unified and the highlights aren't blown out.
Wondering how it looks to others ?
Thanks for checking this one out.
Richard
Title: Re: Day Or Nite In The Southern Marsh
Post by: francois on March 08, 2019, 04:41:34 am
I cannot remember the photo you're referring to but I like this one a lot. The sky is fantastic.
Title: Re: Day Or Nite In The Southern Marsh
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 08, 2019, 10:09:37 am
I cannot remember the photo you're referring to but I like this one a lot. The sky is fantastic.
+1.
And nicely moody. The BW conversion helps the mood and the sky.
Title: Re: Day Or Nite In The Southern Marsh
Post by: RMW on March 08, 2019, 11:07:44 am
Thank you Francois and Eric.
Watching the drama taking place in the sky I was awestruck.
Richard
Title: Re: Day Or Nite In The Southern Marsh
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 08, 2019, 12:38:53 pm
I'm not madly keen on the blown-out areas in the sky or the fact that the distant reed bed is blurred. Other than that, it's a spectacular sky, and I suspect the blow-out is fixable.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Day Or Nite In The Southern Marsh
Post by: stamper on March 08, 2019, 12:41:14 pm
I'm not madly keen on the blown-out areas in the sky or the fact that the distant reed bed is blurred. Other than that, it's a spectacular sky, and I suspect the blow-out is fixable.

Jeremy

My thoughts as well.
Title: Re: Day Or Nite In The Southern Marsh
Post by: RMW on March 08, 2019, 08:22:00 pm
Thanks Jeremy and stamper.
I think your observation is interesting about blown out areas in the sky. When I opened the file in ACR I was sure there were b-o-h. But the digital reading said no, that it was all below 250. And the foto does look like what I saw out there in the marsh. Is this a question of 'fixing' the image to make it look more acceptable- e.g. what we've come to expect in a good foto ? Oris this an instance of seeing something different, something in another way ?
Be interested to know your opinion.
And thanks again for your comments.
Richard
Title: Re: Day Or Nite In The Southern Marsh
Post by: stamper on March 09, 2019, 03:55:14 am
Clone the blown out bit from an area of the sky with detail in it. It doesn't matter what you saw at the time, all what matters is what you post for critique.
Title: Re: Day Or Nite In The Southern Marsh
Post by: RMW on March 09, 2019, 12:06:40 pm
Thanks stamper for the suggestion.
Richard