Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: armand on March 03, 2019, 02:03:22 pm

Title: Anza bw
Post by: armand on March 03, 2019, 02:03:22 pm
Anza-Borrego
I thought the bw works best for the light.
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 03, 2019, 04:22:59 pm
I like the second, but I'd crop a little of that huge, featureless black space off the left.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: armand on March 03, 2019, 05:12:42 pm
Interesting. I let that area go dark during postprocessing to draw more attention to the white bush but there is definitely information there that I can bring back. I'll try both ways.
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on March 04, 2019, 04:42:07 am
The first one reflects the mood and the 'scape of the area. Given that the light is soft and diffused, I reckon the colour version will be quite beautiful.
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: armand on March 04, 2019, 02:31:30 pm
First cropped vs moderate local lifting of the shadows
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: armand on March 04, 2019, 02:55:08 pm
The first one reflects the mood and the 'scape of the area. Given that the light is soft and diffused, I reckon the colour version will be quite beautiful.

It does depict very well the washes from the region, I did struggle with the post processing though. I find it difficult to make it pop a little.
Here is a version processed in LR (I have one run through some Nik filters but this looks better, go figure).
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 04, 2019, 05:42:10 pm
First cropped vs moderate local lifting of the shadows
Of the original and the two variants, the most satisfyin gto me right now is the one with moderate local lifting of the shadows.

This one is totally satisfying. Fine image!
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: MattBurt on March 04, 2019, 06:19:37 pm
Of the original and the two variants, the most satisfyin gto me right now is the one with moderate local lifting of the shadows.

This one is totally satisfying. Fine image!

I agree! It's a great image overall and I think that adjustment makes it even better. You might be able to make the branches pop by locally boosting highlights and/or re-darkening some of the shadow area but I'm not convinced it would improve it.
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: armand on March 04, 2019, 07:09:09 pm
I agree! It's a great image overall and I think that adjustment makes it even better. You might be able to make the branches pop by locally boosting highlights and/or re-darkening some of the shadow area but I'm not convinced it would improve it.

I already did boost the branches at some extent, I could do it even more but I'm happy with the contrast the way it is.

Thank you all, good feedback leading to a better image and I need to learn to contain my temptation to go all in with the blacks.
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: kers on March 04, 2019, 07:36:51 pm
Indeed i agree; B+W is indeed far more interesting in this case- nice mood!

In the analogue times i put an B+W film in my camera and saw B+W... not anymore
Title: Re: Anza bw
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 05, 2019, 03:53:39 am
First cropped vs moderate local lifting of the shadows

That with lifted shadows is the better of the two.

Jeremy