Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dehnhaide on March 01, 2019, 03:52:11 am
-
Pretty simple question though I'm expecting some surprising hints from the more experienced printing loving fellows.
The idea is that I want to frame prints up to 24" (Arch-D) using only mat board with no glass and trying to uncurl / straighten up prints coming from roll with as much care to the print as possible. I feel I'm in need of guidance.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and workflows.
-
I reverse roll the print using a 4 inch mailing tube with a sheet of archival paper over the image to protect it. Times vary in terms of achieving uncurling. there is a D-Roller (expensive) that will do the same thing. There are also plans on the Internet to build your own. You can do a LuLa search and get other suggestions as well as the topic reappears from time to time.
-
For 24” prints, I have a 24” roll of canvas that I have 2 sheets of opaque transparecy paper between which I reverse roll the print. It just means putting the print upside down opposite the curled side and just rolling as tightly as I can. Then setting it aside for a while. Seems to work well with trial and error.
I’ve tried heavy rolls of butcher paper, etc., but for some reason, the canvas seems to work best.
Mark
-
For 24” prints, I have a 24” roll of canvas that I have 2 sheets of opaque transparecy paper between which I reverse roll the print. It just means putting the print upside down opposite the curled side and just rolling as tightly as I can. Then setting it aside for a while. Seems to work well with trial and error.
I’ve tried heavy rolls of butcher paper, etc., but for some reason, the canvas seems to work best.
Mark
Haha! Nice one. Thanks for sharing this Mark! 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
D Roller......there is a commercial product called the D Roller which consists of a weighted teflon coated roller,overlayed with a heavy plastic cover into which ypu place the print and do a reverse roll. The non-stick surfaces protect the inl surface and all in all provides the right tool for the job. This puppy should last a lifetime if reasonablycared for.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-
I do what Alan does.
After trying other methods, including making d rollers with different dimensions of pva pipe and thick acetate ( which always seemed to damage prints ) I found the lighter weight 4 inch mailing tube worked the best. You need either some heavy paper between the tube and print, about 300 gsm, or a big sheet of acetate taped to the roll. Leave the print rolled up generally for a couple of minutes.
I reverse roll the print using a 4 inch mailing tube with a sheet of archival paper over the image to protect it. Times vary in terms of achieving uncurling. there is a D-Roller (expensive) that will do the same thing. There are also plans on the Internet to build your own. You can do a LuLa search and get other suggestions as well as the topic reappears from time to time.
-
I do what Alan does.
After trying other methods, including making d rollers with different dimensions of pva pipe and thick acetate ( which always seemed to damage prints ) I found the lighter weight 4 inch mailing tube worked the best. You need either some heavy paper between the tube and print, about 300 gsm, or a big sheet of acetate taped to the roll. Leave the print rolled up generally for a couple of minutes.
The other nice thing about my technique is I ship my prints in this size mail tube and always have instructions for the recipient on how to decurl the prints if they are doing their own framing.
-
Excellent.
quote author=Alan Goldhammer link=topic=129330.msg1098533#msg1098533 date=1551704280]
The other nice thing about my technique is I ship my prints in this size mail tube and always have instructions for the recipient on how to decurl the prints if they are doing their own framing.
[/quote]
-
I have a D-Roller and its always worked great for me.
Expensive? Compared to what? A mere pittance compared to the cost of the 24" printer or rolls of paper or the cost of ink.
-
Compared to a cardboard shipping tube which works great for me.
I have a D-Roller and its always worked great for me.
Expensive? Compared to what? A mere pittance compared to the cost of the 24" printer or rolls of paper or the cost of ink.
-
The thing to be dealt with when you "roll your own" with a big tube instead of a D-roller is that the leading edge of the paper pokes up off the roller (the curl goes outward) and that will put a bend/kink in each succeeding roll of the paper that goes over it. That's what the thick sheet of vinyl is for on the D-roller. So you have to put something pretty firm but flexible on the bottom of your paper. If you just roll paper around a big cylinder you'll get kinks. At least with any of the stiff papers (the ones that really need decurling)
-
D Roller......there is a commercial product called the D Roller which consists of a weighted teflon coated roller,overlayed with a heavy plastic cover into which ypu place the print and do a reverse roll. The non-stick surfaces protect the inl surface and all in all provides the right tool for the job. This puppy should last a lifetime if reasonablycared for.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Right! There's an article (maybe a video) on this website with MR demonstrating that device.
-
If you have time, hang them! I have 3m of bill holder / paper grabber rail in my print room, mounted on the wall about 2m above the ground.
Click the prints into this, attach bulldog clips or similar to the bottom edge for a bit of weight and leave them for a day or so. I do this before trimming the prints so they have about 15mm extra paper at either end, so no damage to the print itself. Works extremely well for cotton & fibre based papers.
I have a home-made D-roller device and it works pretty well but I've found that it can easily create scuffs on prints, especially darker, full coverage ones.