Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Arlen on February 26, 2019, 10:28:46 pm

Title: In the Abstract
Post by: Arlen on February 26, 2019, 10:28:46 pm
I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might care to share about this one.


(https://pbase.com/art1/image/168864123/original.jpg)
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 26, 2019, 11:30:42 pm
Well done, whatever it is.
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 27, 2019, 12:32:11 am
Simple and quite elegant.
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: JNB_Rare on February 27, 2019, 09:41:30 am
Simple and quite elegant.

+1
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: John R on February 27, 2019, 10:30:10 am
It looks like one of those inserts you place in a shoe. A cloth? It could be anything. No matter very nice. I like how you didn't go for pitch black. Good seeing!

JR
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 27, 2019, 01:02:20 pm
I like the curves and the light. It's good.

Jeremy
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: langier on February 27, 2019, 01:17:16 pm
"Dunes" done well!
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: Arlen on February 28, 2019, 03:08:53 pm
I appreciate each of your replies. It's kind of hard to know with an abstract whether/when you've nailed it--or even harder, that other people will agree you've nailed it. At least it is for me.

Not that it probably matters much, but the subject matter is snow. I had spent days looking for certain types of interacting curves and tones in snow drifts, to form the basis for an abstract I had in mind, but nothing passed muster. Then while engaged in snow removal I happened to notice that such an arrangement existed right on my roof.
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 28, 2019, 04:26:09 pm
I frequently employ tonalities like those for sand, but I never tried it for snow.
It works very well.
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: 32BT on March 01, 2019, 03:18:38 am
It's an interesting study in texture and light, although the noise structure seems to suggest there is not much more resolution available for the texture? Would be good to have detail in the texture. Texture is interesting in that respect, because even though the subject doesn't particularly require detail, good rendition of texture still requires lots of resolution.

The cut off to black at the right/bottom seems slightly out of balance with the subtle toning in the lower half. Would have liked to "stay in the mood" there. An extension of the toning or more gradual transition to black.
Title: Re: In the Abstract
Post by: Bob_B on March 01, 2019, 08:29:26 am
+2, well seen