Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Kirk Gittings on February 26, 2019, 07:03:05 pm

Title: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: Kirk Gittings on February 26, 2019, 07:03:05 pm
Looking for some advice here. I had a 6300 that died with nearly full inks tanks. I subsequently found a nearly brand new 6400 which works perfectly. I am now running out of some of the inks in the 6400. Would it be wise or poor economy to start moving the 6300 ink tanks over to the 6400 as needed? The inks have been sitting unused in the dead 6300 for about 6 months. Thanks.
Title: Re: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: I.T. Supplies on February 27, 2019, 12:19:28 pm
In my opinion, I don't think I'd try switching them from the dead printer (if sitting in it for about 6 months and not being touched) into the 6400.  Chance there may be something that happened to the ink formula in that time frame while in the printer (but I could be wrong).  Now, if it was about a month or sooner, probably have no issues since both models use the same inks.  Probably check with Canon to verify this.

800-423-2366
Title: Re: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: Kirk Gittings on February 27, 2019, 12:33:27 pm
You are probably right. I’m pretty sure what Canon will say.
For what its worth I’ve never had an issue with new out of date ink tanks, but never tried out of date USED tanks.
Title: Re: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: Kirk Gittings on February 27, 2019, 12:37:32 pm
It’s hard to walk away from nearly full carts as they are worth a small fortune.
Title: Re: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: stockjock on February 27, 2019, 04:17:46 pm
Personally, I wouldn't be worried about how old the ink is but you may not have the choice of moving the ink cartridges to the iPF6400.  I was given old inks that I think were partially used on an iPF8300 and they wouldn't work on my iPF8400. 
Title: Re: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: Kirk Gittings on February 27, 2019, 06:31:30 pm
Just curious. Why do you think?
Title: Re: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: nirpat89 on February 27, 2019, 10:50:04 pm
If you still had the 6300 working and you did not use it for 6 months, would you have to get new cartridges? 
 
Title: Re: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: Pete Berry on February 28, 2019, 10:47:17 pm
Looking for some advice here. I had a 6300 that died with nearly full inks tanks. I subsequently found a nearly brand new 6400 which works perfectly. I am now running out of some of the inks in the 6400. Would it be wise or poor economy to start moving the 6300 ink tanks over to the 6400 as needed? The inks have been sitting unused in the dead 6300 for about 6 months. Thanks.

I used many pre-used Canon iPF 130ml carts over the past 12 years since the 5000 and have had no problems at all to date. Your two generations use the same 106 series carts. If there are any differences, the unique cart series indexing tabs won't allow the cart to be fully inserted, as is the case with iPF5000 and the four 5100 gray-scale carts - the rest OK. Just be sure to mix them thoroughly by inverting/re-inverting 10 or so times before installing. Don't shake, or you might get a plague of air bubbles!!
Title: Re: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: Kirk Gittings on March 01, 2019, 11:05:33 am
If you still had the 6300 working and you did not use it for 6 months, would you have to get new cartridges? 
 
Good question. I guess I was concerned with the ink level being reported accurately with the machine change.
Title: Re: Moving partially used Canon inks to new printer
Post by: Kirk Gittings on March 01, 2019, 11:06:33 am
I used many pre-used Canon iPF 130ml carts over the past 12 years since the 5000 and have had no problems at all to date. Your two generations use the same 106 series carts. If there are any differences, the unique cart series indexing tabs won't allow the cart to be fully inserted, as is the case with iPF5000 and the four 5100 gray-scale carts - the rest OK. Just be sure to mix them thoroughly by inverting/re-inverting 10 or so times before installing. Don't shake, or you might get a plague of air bubbles!!
Thank you for that experience.
Thanks everyone!