Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: MattBurt on February 26, 2019, 12:21:04 pm

Title: A River Flows Under It
Post by: MattBurt on February 26, 2019, 12:21:04 pm
I didn't have much time last night and just stayed close to home to catch this nice sunset at the river park. With little time and some limitations with power lines and other distractions this little stretch of flowing water was my best bet for a foreground element.
I got two compositions before it faded and I'm not 100% satisfied with either but I do like each for slightly different reasons.
Do you have a preference? Why?

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7894/46304876155_0aa8636122_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2dxNArH)

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7889/46491847134_00b723b689_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2dQjSph)
Title: Re: A River Flows Under It
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 26, 2019, 12:45:33 pm
The second one has a more dynamic composition. Though it contains what appears to be burnt highlights in the sky (I assume with a bit more local adjustments, it can be tamed).
Title: Re: A River Flows Under It
Post by: MattBurt on February 26, 2019, 01:17:47 pm
The second one has a more dynamic composition. Though it contains what appears to be burnt highlights in the sky (I assume with a bit more local adjustments, it can be tamed).

Thanks, I don't think it actually clipped and I was just trying to use as much DR as possible in post by letting it get close. Maybe too close?
Title: Re: A River Flows Under It
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 26, 2019, 01:39:35 pm
Thanks, I don't think it actually clipped and I was just trying to use as much DR as possible in post by letting it get close. Maybe too close?

For me, it does not actually matter if it clips technically or not, but visually. What I do in situation like this, is to use a soft local adjustment brush, sampling the adjacent colors (orange-pink in this case) and paint over the "offending" area. Since it is a highlight area, the brush would only leave a faint impression.
Title: Re: A River Flows Under It
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 26, 2019, 02:38:12 pm
I agree that the second is the better composed, and it appeals to me.

Jeremy
Title: Re: A River Flows Under It
Post by: John R on February 26, 2019, 03:14:16 pm
The second, because it a powerful foreground 'C' shape with color, that grabs your attention and then leads your eye to the horizon and beyond.

JR
Title: Re: A River Flows Under It
Post by: David Eckels on February 26, 2019, 03:33:52 pm
Unanimous so far, on the second one. Very nice.
Title: Re: A River Flows Under It
Post by: MattBurt on February 26, 2019, 04:05:59 pm
Thanks all!
Title: Re: A River Flows Under It
Post by: luxborealis on February 26, 2019, 06:26:54 pm
Love the both, Matt, but I see your conundrum.

In the first, the sky is slightly more pronounced and, compositionally, more pleasing.

The second has a much better sweep of river (as pointed out), but that snow-covered rock (?) to the left, which is at the left edge in photo 1 (and less intrusive), sticks out too much.

What about combining the best elements of the two? Or, use #2 and if you don’t like that snowy bulge on the left, clone it out. I like that line of trees along the far shore.