Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: luxborealis on February 24, 2019, 10:34:33 am

Title: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: luxborealis on February 24, 2019, 10:34:33 am
Feedback requested...

I’ve captured what I felt and what I saw at the time. It’s subtle, but the photograph speaks to me, though quietly.

Does it speak to you?
Is it worthy of ‘the wall’ (printing, matting framing)?

(Fourth time lucky, I guess. I have no idea what I did differently after attempting to post three times previously!)
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 24, 2019, 10:53:33 am
Works for me. The snow part on the branches and trunks separates nicely different planes of depth, so the wider depth of field works well here (smaller sensor?).

I actually have a similar one framed and on my wall, by Brooks Jansen, depicting forest trees in a falling snow. Even similar warm toning.

Since this is a critique section... do I see a vignetting? It might be a personal pet peeve, but I never liked gray or muddy snow.
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: luxborealis on February 24, 2019, 11:17:26 am
...Since this is a critique section... do I see a vignetting? It might be a personal pet peeve, but I never liked gray or muddy snow.

Yes, –10. And I agree – grey snow just doesn’t cut it. I’ve backed it off to 5 which makes a surprising difference. Without it, the photo seems ‘flat’.
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: langier on February 24, 2019, 11:58:43 am
Looks closer to natural shadows to me, maybe a little dark in the lower, right... However, it's still lovely as it is. A good separation of the order out of chaos, IMO. Well done!
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 24, 2019, 12:30:03 pm
It is completely satisfying to me.
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: stamper on February 24, 2019, 12:30:34 pm
If it is in shadow then a little grayness is to be expected?. Like it as it is, a fine image.
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 24, 2019, 12:50:26 pm
I like it. I'd have trouble explaining why, but it does appeal to me.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: John R on February 24, 2019, 01:26:11 pm
I find it impossible to get white-white snow on heavy overcast days, especially in areas that are in shade, however soft the shade. If you overexpose the required amount to retain white, or brighten the snow in PP, it loses texture and features. Maybe that's what some want. It's really a judgement call based on what you think is most important in the image.
Re this image, I don't think it is one of your better images. It is a nice image. The contrast between the snow and dark tree elements is striking and creates an ethereal quality that is the most dominant and appealing feature of the image. However, I don't agree with Larry. I think the whole image sits on the border of being too busy. It is the ethereal quality, the quietness of the snow-white scene, that most holds my attention. But the chaotic look and intrusiveness of the background trees dampens that feeling. At least to me.

JR
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on February 24, 2019, 01:32:55 pm
... Maybe that's what some want...

Not me. I was referring to the obvious vignetting of the same snow. Sometimes vignetting works, sometimes it introduces unwanted differences.
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: luxborealis on February 24, 2019, 02:13:04 pm
...I find it impossible to get white-white snow on heavy overcast days, especially in areas that are in shade, however soft the shade. If you overexpose the required amount to retain white, or brighten the snow in PP, it loses texture and features.JR

I agree. It is very difficult to create the feeling of whiteness/brightness while maintaining a bit of texture and natural shadowing. One technique I use (although not in this photograph) is to use an Adjustment Brush (Lr) to apply additional Clarity to the snow only, which raises the local contrast. Care must be taken, though, as too high a setting makes the snow appear gritty, like it does after a day of thawing then refreezing overnight.
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: RSL on February 24, 2019, 03:39:02 pm
How did you get those trees to pose for you like that, Terry?
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 24, 2019, 04:03:09 pm
How did you get those trees to pose for you like that, Terry?
He just offers lavish modeling fees.
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: JNB_Rare on February 24, 2019, 08:12:12 pm
Very appealing. Just the right touch on processing, I think.
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: LesPalenik on February 24, 2019, 09:57:53 pm
A very fine image, Terry
I like the semi-circular shape on the bottom of the trees. Must have been difficult to arrange it without leaving any footprints. :)
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: luxborealis on February 24, 2019, 10:21:16 pm
How did you get those trees to pose for you like that, Terry?

They’re all fake trees – and fake snow, too, Les! ;)
Title: Re: Cedar Forest, Winter
Post by: MattBurt on February 25, 2019, 11:25:37 am
I like it and think it's a solid shot. Maybe not your very finest but probably worth a print if you like it too.
I agree about the struggle with snow to show texture but keep it white. I try to walk that line quite a bit, especially this time of year. I think this tonality works well.