Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on February 21, 2019, 10:21:42 am

Title: Red Amaranth - backlit
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on February 21, 2019, 10:21:42 am
Red Amaranth. (https://blog.parrikar.com/2019/02/21/tambdi-bhaji/)

Title: Re: Red Amaranth - backlit
Post by: francois on February 21, 2019, 10:51:10 am
Beautiful shot with these rich red tones and also good and informative story on your blog.
Title: Re: Red Amaranth - backlit
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 21, 2019, 12:30:39 pm
Lovely!
I look forward to learning about the people involved.
Title: Re: Red Amaranth - backlit
Post by: John R on February 21, 2019, 12:46:03 pm
Nice work Rajan. Excellent choice in framing the flowers as patterns at an oblique angle. Those red amaranths are so rich and vibrant that they look unreal. You know what that means...Rajan? You should try some in-camera motion techniques on them. Couldn't help myself, you know, spring fever, phew...

JR
Title: Re: Red Amaranth - backlit
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on February 22, 2019, 08:16:14 am
Thank you, gentlemen.

John - those are leaves, not flowers, and their brilliant appearance is due to the backlight of the sun close to the horizon.
Title: Re: Red Amaranth - backlit
Post by: luxborealis on February 24, 2019, 10:39:36 am
I love the design of the first and the context of the second, but feel unsatisfied with not being able to see the full context as the top is ‘cut off’. I’m sure you had a good reason for it (as I’ve never seen you make composition errors!), but it just seems incomplete.
Title: Re: Red Amaranth - backlit
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on February 24, 2019, 11:09:07 am
I love the design of the first and the context of the second, but feel unsatisfied with not being able to see the full context as the top is ‘cut off’. I’m sure you had a good reason for it (as I’ve never seen you make composition errors!), but it just seems incomplete.

Terry,

The sun was low and coming it from the far top-right end, which meant there was veiling flare and a fair amount of bright in that area of the frame. That is why I cropped it, to keep focus on the carpet of red. But I see your point.