Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on February 04, 2019, 03:13:26 pm

Title: Immature Red-bellied Woodpecker
Post by: Bob_B on February 04, 2019, 03:13:26 pm
One of the denizens of the woods near me. I guess he was enjoying the current spell of warm weather, as much as I. Feel free to C&C, and thanks for stopping by.
Title: Re: Immature Red-bellied Woodpecker
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 04, 2019, 04:52:12 pm
Nice shot.
I get an adult visiting a few times each winter but have never seen a young one.
Title: Re: Immature Red-bellied Woodpecker
Post by: Bob_B on February 04, 2019, 05:56:19 pm
Neither have I, Eric. This juvenile had me confused as to what species it was for quite a while. Thanks for your comment.
Title: Re: Immature Red-bellied Woodpecker
Post by: syncrasy on February 04, 2019, 08:49:04 pm
Very nice photo, but you should check your field guide again.

You've got a juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. (Golden spots on back, large white wing patch, brown-streaked face, chest and belly.)
Title: Re: Immature Red-bellied Woodpecker
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 04, 2019, 09:58:19 pm
If it is a Sapsucker, I haven't had one of them in my yard either.
Title: Re: Immature Red-bellied Woodpecker
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on February 05, 2019, 07:40:09 am
 Hi Bob, nice catch regardless of the species  ;)

 I need to dig in the closet an get out the old 600 F4 (no vr) that's been gathering dust. I used it on the Di,D2X then I kind of stopped but after seeing the clean high iso shots that the newer bodies were capable of I bought a D500. Wow, with the D1 you didn't dare go over 640 (at least I didn't) but now the shots seem clean even at 2500. I Imagine the newer bodies are even better in this respect but for me, I prefer the APS-C for the multiplier effect on the focal lengths.
 
Title: Re: Immature Red-bellied Woodpecker
Post by: Bob_B on February 05, 2019, 07:44:51 am
...You've got a juvenile Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. (Golden spots on back, large white wing patch, brown-streaked face, chest and belly.)

Thanks Mark. After your post, I went looking for comparative photos, and I think you're right based on the white wing patch and the differences in that feature between the two species. Good call!
Title: Re: Immature Red-bellied Woodpecker
Post by: Bob_B on February 05, 2019, 07:47:57 am
Hi Bob, nice catch regardless of the species  ;)

 I need to dig in the closet an get out the old 600 F4 (no vr) that's been gathering dust. I used it on the Di,D2X then I kind of stopped but after seeing the clean high iso shots that the newer bodies were capable of I bought a D500. Wow, with the D1 you didn't dare go over 640 (at least I didn't) but now the shots seem clean even at 2500. I Imagine the newer bodies are even better in this respect but for me, I prefer the APS-C for the multiplier effect on the focal lengths.

Thanks Kevin. FWIW: This photo was taken handheld with my Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, 1.4x telextender and 7D, 1/1250 @ f7.1, ISO 640.