Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Robert Roaldi on January 29, 2019, 09:27:21 am

Title: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: Robert Roaldi on January 29, 2019, 09:27:21 am
Nothing new here really, but perhaps good to read anyway: https://petapixel.com/2019/01/28/13-confessions-of-an-amateur-photographer/ (https://petapixel.com/2019/01/28/13-confessions-of-an-amateur-photographer/).
Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: langier on January 29, 2019, 09:42:47 am
Some well-founded advice from a newb. A lot of wisdom from an unpolluted mind.
Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 29, 2019, 10:02:58 am
Some well-founded advice from a newb. A lot of wisdom from an unpolluted mind.
I agree.
Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: RSL on January 29, 2019, 10:40:05 am
So do I.
Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: texshooter on January 29, 2019, 03:09:52 pm
The article left out one confessionary tip:

#14. Don't quit your day job.
Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: Two23 on January 29, 2019, 05:18:24 pm
"5. Obsessing about image quality is counterproductive. If you think that your photo is bad because corners are not sharp, then your photo is probably not that good to begin with. The subject and your interpretation of the scene is what provokes an emotional response, not the dreamy bokeh and corner-to-corner sharpness."


Exactly the conclusion I came to some years ago.  Great photos come from Vision and recognition of how to use Light.


Kent in SD

Below photo taken with a Nikon
body cap I modified to be a pin hole.

Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: faberryman on January 29, 2019, 05:45:03 pm
Certainly restating the obvious does no harm.
Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: RogTallbloke on January 29, 2019, 05:48:15 pm
Corollary to #13: There are two kinds of computer user - those who have lost data, and those who are going to.
Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 29, 2019, 05:51:50 pm
Below photo taken with a Nikon
body cap I modified to be a pin hole.
Kent,
Have you done a definitive review comparing Nikon, Canon, and Sony body caps for pinhole photography? You might want to submit an article to LuLa!   :D

Eric
Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: langier on January 29, 2019, 06:39:14 pm
Add #15, the words of wisdom from Jay Maisel: Worry about the picture, not the pixels.
Title: Re: observations by an amateur photographer
Post by: Rob C on January 30, 2019, 05:23:30 pm
Generally sound advice.

No.11 was true for me when making the move across to digital. Why? Because figuring out Photoshop really does need the help of somebody who already uses it to good effect; books go so far, but in my experience, not detailed enough, always assuming too much is understood. Video help is often more useful, but it's not always obvious where it can be found, often until you no longer need it.

Wet processing was another art where good teachers were invaluable. I thought I was a reasonable printer until I became a trainee in an industrial photo unit... I soon realised I knew practically zilch. Night school taught me nothing useful except to get the hell out of it; working in that unit taught me everything I needed to know for the rest of my time in the business.

Rob