Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: spassig on January 28, 2019, 06:30:13 am

Title: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 28, 2019, 06:30:13 am
Hello
I have a question about the scales of histogramm on IQ digiback, see screenshot.
What mean the scales?
Why different distances from left to right.
Why distances left (shadow) and right (light) other as in the middle of histogramm?

(I have post this before in https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?board=3.0.
Maybe wrong?)

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: dchew on January 28, 2019, 06:58:02 am
Those are not scales for the x-axis, if that is what you mean. Those are your exposure settings.
The shot was taken at ISO 100, f/16 and shutter speed was 8 seconds.

Like any other histogram, the scale is a little meaningless but you can think of it as 0 (black) on the left and 255 (white) on the right if that helps. Or 0% - 100% if you prefer.

Dave
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 28, 2019, 08:50:30 am
Dave
Thanks for feedback.

Those are not scales for the x-axis,
I think that are scales for X-axis, that is in diagramms common.

The shot was taken at ISO 100, f/16 and shutter speed was 8 seconds.
I know this.

Like any other histogram, the scale is a little meaningless but you can think of it as 0 (black) on the left and 255 (white) on the right if that helps. Or 0% - 100% if you prefer.
Dave
I know this.

I have post additionally screenshot for better understanding my question.

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: digitaldog on January 28, 2019, 01:42:54 pm
What's really important is this; raw Histogram or the Histogram of a JPEG or a rendering of the raw?
If you have a copy of RawDigger (https://www.rawdigger.com), possible to check.
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 28, 2019, 02:17:51 pm
Thanks for feedback.
What's really important is this; raw Histogram or the Histogram of a JPEG or a rendering of the raw?
If you have a copy of RawDigger (https://www.rawdigger.com), possible to check.

Can You answer my questions?

Yes or No?

Sincerly

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: digitaldog on January 28, 2019, 02:19:33 pm
Thanks for feedback.
Can You answer my questions?

Yes or No?

Sincerly

Jochen
The scale of course depends on the data so again, is this a raw Histogram?
If you need some info on Histograms in general, might I suggest:

Everything you thought you wanted to know about Histograms
Another exhaustive 40 minute video examining:
What are histograms. In Photoshop, ACR, Lightroom.
Histograms: clipping color and tones, color spaces and color gamut.
Histogram and Photoshop’s Level’s command.
Histograms don’t tell us our images are good (examples).
Misconceptions about histograms. How they lie.
Histograms and Expose To The Right (ETTR).
Are histograms useful and if so, how?


Low rez (YouTube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjPsP4HhHhE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjPsP4HhHhE)
High rez: http://digitaldog.net/files/Histogram_Video.mov (http://digitaldog.net/files/Histogram_Video.mov)
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 28, 2019, 02:59:26 pm
The scale of course depends on the data so again, is this a raw Histogram?

I don't know about type of histogram.
It is a picture from the screen of Phase One digital back after a shoot.

My question isn"t about histogram.
I know what a histogram is.
My question is about scales and different distances of the vertical lines in the histogram.
(Maybe my first post wasn't clear before, sorry)

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: digitaldog on January 28, 2019, 03:02:54 pm
I give up  ;D
RTFM?
https://blog.phaseone.com/bright-and-brillant-images-with-levels/
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 28, 2019, 03:34:45 pm
I give up  ;D
RTFM?
https://blog.phaseone.com/bright-and-brillant-images-with-levels/

OK, thanks.
I use COP and know the handling of images.

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: Gerd_Peters on January 29, 2019, 05:03:42 am
Hello
I have a question about the scales of histogramm on IQ digiback, see screenshot.
What mean the scales?
Why different distances from left to right.
Why distances left (shadow) and right (light) other as in the middle of histogramm?

(I have post this before in https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?board=3.0.
Maybe wrong?)

Jochen

I have just seen that you have posted here.

The vertical division in the histogram you mean is based on the Exposure Zone System. The Exposure Zone System can be found below the histogram below on your IQX Back. If you keep the Exposure Zone Tool pressed longer, then you can configure it. At this point you will also see the distances (per color) that will later be seen as a vertical scale in the histogram.

If you would like to expose the best for further RAW processing, it is recommended to use the Exposure Zone System.

For further information. The histogram and Exposure Zone system are based on RAW. IQ1 / 2/3 can not JPEG.

Greeting Gerd
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 29, 2019, 05:44:09 am
@Gerd. Thanks.
I see You have understand my question.

I  just seen that you have posted here.

The vertical division in the histogram you mean is based on the Exposure Zone System.
OK.
Normally the Zone System go from 0 to 10 (0 to X)
I see seven sections.
Why?

The Exposure Zone System can be found below the histogram below on your IQX Back.
I will search it on my back.

If you keep the Exposure Zone Tool pressed longer, then you can configure it. At this point you will also see the distances (per color) that will later be seen as a vertical scale in the histogram.
I will search it on my back.

If you would like to expose the best for further RAW processing, it is recommended to use the Exposure Zone System.
I must check it.

For further information. The histogram and Exposure Zone system are based on RAW. IQ1 / 2/3 can not JPEG.

Greeting Gerd

OK.

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: Gerd_Peters on January 29, 2019, 05:53:49 am

Normally the Zone System go from 0 to 10 (0 to X)
I see seven sections.
Why?
......

This has nothing to do with "the Zones System" (Ansel Adams). This is a Phase One Proprietary Exposure Zone System so you can see the exact exposure in the image from each section. What you with a histogram would not be possible.

The zone number is equal to the Exposure Zone System.

Greeting Gerd
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 29, 2019, 06:29:40 am
This has nothing to do with "the Zones System" (Ansel Adams). This is a Phase One Proprietary Exposure Zone System so you can see the exact exposure in the image from each section. What you with a histogram would not be possible.

The zone number is equal to the Exposure Zone System.

Greeting Gerd

OK.
At the moment I study the manual and the settings of XF and IQ1 :)

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 29, 2019, 11:54:01 am
@Gerd
I have study manual and digiback.
Do You mean the vertical division in histogram the same as in zone system?

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: Gerd_Peters on January 29, 2019, 12:54:03 pm
Look at the different number spacing between the zones. And then look at the size of the subdivision in the histogram. Green, yellow and red have the largest areas (not from the distribution in the picture but from the number spacing). They are corresponding to the size division in the histogram.

Greeting Gerd
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 29, 2019, 01:28:38 pm
Look at the different number spacing between the zones. And then look at the size of the subdivision in the histogram. Green, yellow and red have the largest areas (not from the distribution in the picture but from the number spacing). They are corresponding to the size division in the histogram.

Greeting Gerd

After study digital back I thought the same, but ...:

In left picture I see:
0 26 47 76 119 181 234 255.

If 0 to 255 aeras I have 8 aeras.
In histogram I see 7 aeras.

If 0 and 255 lines I have 6 aeras.
In histogram I see 7 aeras.

I don't understand this.

Greeting

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: Gerd_Peters on January 29, 2019, 01:37:08 pm
0 26 47 76 119 181 234 255

How many spaces can you see between the numbers (from - to).

Greeting Gerd
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 29, 2019, 01:45:12 pm
0 26 47 76 119 181 234 255

How many spaces can you see between the numbers (from - to).

Greeting Gerd

You mean between 0 to 26.
One.

And so on.
Then  I have seven spaces.
Right?

Jochen

Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: BAB on January 29, 2019, 09:47:54 pm
Looks like raw histogram by channel
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: Gerd_Peters on January 30, 2019, 05:20:09 am
You mean between 0 to 26.
One.

And so on.
Then  I have seven spaces.
Right?

Jochen

that's the way it is...

Greeting Gerd
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 30, 2019, 06:13:10 am
that's the way it is...

Greeting Gerd

Hello

Thanks for support.
I thought the same, but ... sorry.
My first screenshot show the aeras 0 to 255.
In the second screensot I have put in this aeras in histogram.
If 0 (black) and 255 (white) also aeras then thy must be very small?
When I distribute in histogram the intermediate values there is a missing with „?"

Jochen

Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: Gerd_Peters on January 30, 2019, 06:20:54 am
** sigh **

Sorry - I give up ....

Greeting Gerd
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 30, 2019, 06:25:14 am
** sigh **

Sorry - I give up ....

Greeting Gerd

Thanks, no problem.
I will ask PO.

Greeting
Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: digitaldog on January 30, 2019, 09:18:42 am
** sigh **

Sorry - I give up ....

Greeting Gerd
+1
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: spassig on January 30, 2019, 11:14:57 am
+1

Why „+1"?

Your answers were not helpful :)
Gerds answers were very helpul!

Sorry that I run in the wrong direction.
(Who doesn't ask remains stupid forever)
Now it's clear, see screenshot.

Jochen
Title: Re: Phase One Digiback Histogram Scales
Post by: Gerd_Peters on January 31, 2019, 07:09:45 am
Now you have understood ...

Greeting Gerd