Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Ryan Mack on January 27, 2019, 11:49:22 am

Title: Print permanence of ketchup and mustard based ink set
Post by: Ryan Mack on January 27, 2019, 11:49:22 am
Was at the Boston MFA checking out the Ansel Adams in the modern age exhibit and there were a couple of screen prints made with ketchup and mustard. Obviously my first thought was “I wonder what the fade resistance and gloss differential is?” And my second thought was to post about it here. Anyone know if Wilhelm will be starting on this after he completes the Canon Lucia Pro study?

http://artsyforager.com/2013/10/31/matthew-brandt/
Title: Re: Print permanence of ketchup and mustard based ink set
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on January 28, 2019, 06:24:19 am
Was at the Boston MFA checking out the Ansel Adams in the modern age exhibit and there were a couple of screen prints made with ketchup and mustard. Obviously my first thought was “I wonder what the fade resistance and gloss differential is?” And my second thought was to post about it here. Anyone know if Wilhelm will be starting on this after he completes the Canon Lucia Pro study?

http://artsyforager.com/2013/10/31/matthew-brandt/

60 year old samples can probably be detected in the work of Daniel Spoerri. Possibly too in Dieter Roth's oeuvre.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=spoerri+images&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi4p-OGpZDgAhUM16QKHSt2CSsQsAR6BAgCEAE&biw=1592&bih=1038#imgrc=_

https://www.zuckerartbooks.com/artist/Dieter%20Roth_Prints/works/2973

http://raphael-levy.com/dieter-roth%E2%80%A8-insel-island%E2%80%A8-1968%E2%80%A8/

Dutch screenprinter used bull's blood for prints.

I am more worried about the lack of originality in today's art than on it's degradation.... and the degradation is usually intended.


Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Print permanence of ketchup and mustard based ink set
Post by: narikin on January 28, 2019, 09:04:51 am
There was an MFA student at an Ivy League school I visited who froze Epson pigment ink, took the blocks out of carts, put them above a radiator, and photographed the colorful melt. It was a surprisingly pretty image.

Then... scooped it back up, put it into reusable carts and printed the image I was looking at!

Pretty darn clever.  Ouroboros, etc.

Title: Re: Print permanence of ketchup and mustard based ink set
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on January 28, 2019, 10:13:42 am
There was an MFA student at an Ivy League school I visited who froze Epson pigment ink, took the blocks out of carts, put them above a radiator, and photographed the colorful melt. It was a surprisingly pretty image.

Then... scooped it back up, put it into reusable carts and printed the image I was looking at!

Pretty darn clever.  Ouroboros, etc.

Color management 1:1  ?

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots