Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: felix5616 on January 25, 2019, 12:33:50 pm

Title: Mat Ply Choice for framing
Post by: felix5616 on January 25, 2019, 12:33:50 pm
What to photographers/artist use as criteria for selecting  4 vs 8 ply mats? is the the mat size, image size, etc?
Title: Re: Mat Ply Choice for framing
Post by: faberryman on January 25, 2019, 01:09:58 pm
What to photographers/artist use as criteria for selecting  4 vs 8 ply mats? is the the mat size, image size, etc?
I really like 8-ply mats but they are very expensive and have to be professionally cut. I have settled on 4-ply mats which I cut myself.
Title: Re: Mat Ply Choice for framing
Post by: Wayne Fox on January 25, 2019, 11:18:43 pm
If you are talking about traditional black/white double mats, the 8 ply has a higher end look.  Museum quality mats are usually solid core, but the 8 ply adds depth. double 4 ply museum that is solid core white or black also looks great, but side by side the 8 ply to me looks nicer. 

If you are opting for non traditional black or white, and instead using typical color matching like many frame shops, 4 ply comes in significantly more color options.

As mentioned 8 ply is tough to cut, some mat cutters can’t handle it too well.
Title: Re: Mat Ply Choice for framing
Post by: BrianBeauban on January 26, 2019, 08:59:05 am
I use 8-ply on mats larger than 20"x24" for the added stability.
Title: Re: Mat Ply Choice for framing
Post by: Paul2660 on January 26, 2019, 09:14:25 am
In a perfect world I would only use 8 ply Crescent rag.  But that is not the case most of the time.  Most customers have no clue to the cost of a 100% pure cotton rag 8 ply. 

I agree for B&W, I love the look, but I also love it for color work. 

Cost is as much as 5 to 6 times for the same as a 4 ply mat, you need to have them professionally cut, and by someone who has cut them before and understands how to cut them.  It's not the same as a 4 ply. 

One of the most striking mats I have ever used is the Crescent 8 ply black core white.  Amazing looking mat.

Paul C