Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Larry451 on January 25, 2019, 11:54:28 am

Title: Z3200- gloss optimizer
Post by: Larry451 on January 25, 2019, 11:54:28 am
I mostly print on matte papers "Moab" entrada.  I'm wondering if I could use the gloss optimizer to help protect the print?  they say to use it on lustre or gloss papers.
any thoughts?
regards
Larry.
Title: Re: Z3200- gloss optimizer
Post by: deanwork on January 25, 2019, 07:15:53 pm
It’s really not durable enough to protect the surface of the print against abrasions.

To do that I use the Moab Desert Varnish because they have the best spray nozzles. The Hahnemuhle spray protects well also. If I do matte prints with large areas of maximum black I always spray them. It’s easy to scuff Vivera prints in portfolios and such when you lay down large areas of tone, especially black.

To protect myself I use a charcoal filtered respirator and swim goggles to protect my eyes. These sprays actually improve the surface of gloss fiber papers as well. They work really well over the HP gloss enhancer layer.


I mostly print on matte papers "Moab" entrada.  I'm wondering if I could use the gloss optimizer to help protect the print?  they say to use it on lustre or gloss papers.
any thoughts?
regards
Larry.
Title: Re: Z3200- gloss optimizer
Post by: Larry451 on January 26, 2019, 09:55:22 am
thanks,  moab desert varnish it is... 
I was thinking of coating with Breathing Color glamour 11,  + a foam roller, spray would be so much easier.
regards
Larry.
Title: Re: Z3200- gloss optimizer
Post by: DottieC on January 26, 2019, 12:23:19 pm
This is a bit off-topic but I had some questions about your response to this topic:

What do you mean by "improving the surface" of papers? Do you generally have deeper looking blacks and more apparent contrast by spraying a paper with varnish?

I understand it protects the surface from scuffing and provides some UV protection... and that some varnishes are better than others.

DC


... These sprays actually improve the surface of gloss fiber papers as well. They work really well over the HP gloss enhancer layer.