Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Ryan Mack on January 21, 2019, 08:02:44 pm

Title: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: Ryan Mack on January 21, 2019, 08:02:44 pm
Sheesh my 6 year old wasn’t happen with the way our color laser printer mangled the colors in the artwork he drew on the computer so he wants me to print it on our Canon imageprograf. Any advice for cheap paper that doesn’t need to last very long.
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: howardm on January 21, 2019, 10:20:56 pm
Canon Glossy II
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: PeterAit on January 22, 2019, 09:13:46 am
Sheesh my 6 year old wasn’t happen with the way our color laser printer mangled the colors in the artwork he drew on the computer so he wants me to print it on our Canon imageprograf. Any advice for cheap paper that doesn’t need to last very long.

Ask Jon at Shades of Paper - he knows a lot of papers.
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: I.T. Supplies on January 22, 2019, 11:46:09 am
It depends on the type of paper you/he wants to print on.  RC is just "resin coating" on the photo paper and mainly all photo paper is RC based to accept the ink.

Luster (one of the top papers) is via most brands out there.  If you want a decent, but inexpensive paper, Epson matte would be good option as it's cheap.  But what size you looking for?

IT Supplies
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: HarveyM43 on January 22, 2019, 01:27:07 pm
I haven't used it but I've read decent reviews for Costco's Kirkland photo paper. Its selling for $19/ 150 sheets 8.5" x 11"
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: stockjock on January 22, 2019, 02:37:03 pm
I will second the recommendation for Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper.  It is my favorite glossy paper.  Its loaded with OBA's but that won't matter for your application.
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: Les Sparks on January 23, 2019, 03:33:01 pm
Agree about Kirkland (Costco) paper. Good price
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: Ryan Mack on January 23, 2019, 05:39:01 pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Anybody know if the Kirkland paper is something else rebranded? Would be handy to know if I can use the profile for another paper.
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: howardm on January 23, 2019, 06:00:38 pm
Most definitely but the question is 'who or what'.  My hunch is  that most any cheap RC 'glossy' profile will do 'well'.

Or at least well enough to satisfy a choosy 6yo :D
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: Ryan Mack on January 23, 2019, 06:37:06 pm
I wonder if there's any value in somebody setting up an online database of matching papers. Would be great if I could figure out when I could be paying less for the same paper under a different label. I suppose it might be hard to keep updated if companies change their suppliers without notifying anyone.
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: howardm on January 23, 2019, 07:09:06 pm
you mean something sort of like this?

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

I would think trying to do or keep a db of 2nd or 3rd tier papers like Kirklands 'this weeks' supplier would be impossible and of little real value.  you'd be surprised at how close those papers really are and can try different profiles too.
Title: Re: Cheap RC paper for kid’s artwork?
Post by: stockjock on January 23, 2019, 08:25:37 pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Anybody know if the Kirkland paper is something else rebranded? Would be handy to know if I can use the profile for another paper.

You didn't say which printer you are using but I've found that my iPF8400 does great using the correct media type and printer manages colors.  A good match for the Kirkland media type is Canon Glossy Photo Paper HG 255.