Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: narikin on January 20, 2019, 07:45:52 am
-
I am intrigued by the paper that Epson, Canson, etc wrap their rolls in. When you get a new roll of 44" Epson or Canson, it has this protective paper around it, with a few tape pieces you have to cut to release the roll. It's very glossy one side, and plain matt the other. Canson's is white, Epson is brown Kraft paper style, but same thing otherwise.
Its great for protecting prints you have to roll, and the manufacturers choice. Anyone know what it is, and if you can buy rolls of it anywhere?
Thanks
Here's the Canson one:
(https://i.imgur.com/YU80y0l.jpg)
-
Kraft paper rolls are easy to get (see Amazon for starters). The other paper is some coated or perhaps some end-of-roll or other unusable/unconvertable thing
-
The paper manufacturer is protecting paper and the criteria is probably different due the manufacturing process needing a strong paper.
To protect and roll prints you can get archival tissue.
-
Kraft paper rolls are easy to get (see Amazon for starters). The other paper is some coated or perhaps some end-of-roll or other unusable/unconvertable thing
It's definitely *not* simple Kraft paper. It has high gloss on one side to make that side very slippery.
Canson came to same answer as Epson, so it's clearly meeting a particular requirement.
Guess nobody here knows what it actually is, then?
-
It's most likely a silicone release paper. Google that term, and you will find suppliers.
cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
-
Silicon release paper, coated on one side only (for Epson).
Annoyingly, Canson's new Prestige Baryta comes with three strips of paper holding the roll, ratehr than the full width. So the paper has slight bowing on the leading edge.
-
Silicon release paper, coated on one side only (for Epson).
Annoyingly, Canson's new Prestige Baryta comes with three strips of paper holding the roll, ratehr than the full width. So the paper has slight bowing on the leading edge.
Yes, stupid packaging decision. It should be one sheet to pack and that wrap paper should be as wide as the roll. That way the edge will be straight when unpacked and give no issue with heads touching it in printing. Less issues with loading it on the printer too.
It ain't silicon paper, tape would not adhere and that side is taped. Kind of kraft that has been calendered. Like this paper;
https://www.mondigroup.com/en/products-and-solutions/speciality-kraft-paper/speciality-kraft-paper-products/advantage-smooth-white-gloss/
Kraft for the high tensile strength and that gloss side to give less friction when wrapping it around the roll. I doubt it has a barrier for protection against humidity. There is usually a polyethylene sleeve that covers the roll entirely where the paper only covers 80% of the width at most.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
Thanks , I this sounds like the answer.
Any idea where to buy it in the USA in wider rolls? (44" or 60" ish) I'd like some for my finished prints that are rolled for delivery to mount/frame shop
Yes only one side is silicon-ised, the other side in matte.
(agree that's a silly move of Canson with the Baryta Prestige)
-
Canson have the following interleaf glassine paper in rolls shown here (https://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/canson-glassine-barrier-paper-roll-1220mm-p-3399.html) , not sure if US resellers have it.
Brian.
-
Thanks , I this sounds like the answer.
Any idea where to buy it in the USA in wider rolls? (44" or 60" ish) I'd like some for my finished prints that are rolled for delivery to mount/frame shop
I use Box Partners Poly Coated Kraft Paper Roll 50# 48" x 600' Kraft purchased on eBay for $125 with shipping included. Be careful to get the Poly Coated one, not the Protect Metal one (which contains oxidation inhibiters which are likely to damage your prints). These rolls are quite heavy, and moving the 60" one is likely to be a two-person operation. I use a Duralov 48" roll holder / cutter, also from eBay for $140 with shipping included.
-
I use Box Partners Poly Coated Kraft Paper Roll 50# 48" x 600' Kraft purchased on eBay for $125 with shipping included. Be careful to get the Poly Coated one, not the Protect Metal one (which contains oxidation inhibiters which are likely to damage your prints). These rolls are quite heavy, and moving the 60" one is likely to be a two-person operation. I use a Duralov 48" roll holder / cutter, also from eBay for $140 with shipping included.
THANK YOU - that looks just like the one Epson uses.
good grief: 600ft rolls!!
-
THANK YOU - that looks just like the one Epson uses.
good grief: 600ft rolls!!
Indeed. I looked for months to find a seller that had a shorter roll, but could not find one. The eBay price was the best I could find. Are you in the US? I could roll 50 feet or so onto a used roll core and send it to you for the cost of shipping. If you're in the NYC area, you could also come and pick it up at my office.
-
THANK YOU - that looks just like the one Epson uses.
good grief: 600ft rolls!!
That's nothing.
I worked out that it was far cheaper to buy tissue paper on a roll than cut sheets.
A one kilometre roll.
The distributor stuffed up the order and shipped two out from separate locations. They gave me the second roll as they didn't want to pay for the return shipping.
I now have two kilometres of tissue paper.
Working my way slowly through it.
-
Indeed. I looked for months to find a seller that had a shorter roll, but could not find one. The eBay price was the best I could find. Are you in the US? I could roll 50 feet or so onto a used roll core and send it to you for the cost of shipping. If you're in the NYC area, you could also come and pick it up at my office.
Thanks! Am in NYC. Might PM you later.
Though I realised that maybe I don't need full 48 or 60" wide roll, if all I'm trying to do is put a protective outer wrap-layer around rolled prints, then a 12 or 18" wide roll would do, cut 44 or 60" length off that and I'd have what I need: 12x60". Much lighter roll to handle, and I'd stand a chance of using it up (in a few years!)
-
If you do any laminating it is the backer sheets for almost all overlaminates.
Seals Print Guard and Print Shield that we use has this as the backer. We use it for all kinds of things.
If you can find someone that does a lot of laminating and does not use it they might just give it to you?