Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Panagiotis on January 16, 2019, 02:25:00 am
-
In my location is not easy to get in time inkjet paper because distributors don't stock much. So I want to start to build a small inventory and I wonder what others (mainly print shops) do. Do you keep every available roll width (17", 24", 36", 44") or you skip some? I understand that it depends on many factors but I am totally new to this and any advice will be welcomed. Thanks.
-
The wider and longer the roll the more images can be nested profitably. As long as the cutting afterwards does not get too complex. With Qimage Ultimate custom print pages can be specified and different kinds of nesting. That helps. However two or four identical 45 cm wide images will fit better on a 36" wide roll than on a 44" if wasted paper is counted. I usually have 44" and 36" wide rolls in stock (30, 20, 12 meter depending on what is offered). If the job contains a lot of near 60 cm wide images I will order a 24" roll with the idea to fully use it on that job and add some prints on the other roll widths to avoid being left with the rest of a 24" roll. Never order 17" rolls, too slow in printing and usually the nesting on wider is more convenient. Least interested in sheets. With an 80x100 cm image printed on 44"or 36" width, on 44" wide the print time is shorter, paper waste less . The devil is in the detail.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
The wider and longer the roll the more images can be nested profitably. As long as the cutting afterwards does not get too complex. With Qimage Ultimate custom print pages can be specified and different kinds of nesting. That helps. However two or four identical 45 cm wide images will fit better on a 36" wide roll than on a 44" if wasted paper is counted. I usually have 44" and 36" wide rolls in stock (30, 20, 12 meter depending on what is offered). If the job contains a lot of near 60 cm wide images I will order a 24" roll with the idea to fully use it on that job and add some prints on the other roll widths to avoid being left with the rest of a 24" roll. Never order 17" rolls, too slow in printing and usually the nesting on wider is more convenient. Least interested in sheets. With an 80x100 cm image printed on 44"or 36" width, the print time shorter, paper waste less. The devil is in the detail.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Thank you Ernst!
Info like this is what I am looking for.
I am already using Qimage Ultimate and I understand what you mean about nesting.
Very helpful!
-
I usually just keep 24" and 44" but it really depends on what sizes you sell. Also if you print any canvas you need the largest sizes because of the size loss due to wrapping it around stretcher bars.
-
I usually just keep 24" and 44" but it really depends on what sizes you sell. Also if you print any canvas you need the largest sizes because of the size loss due to wrapping it around stretcher bars.
Got it, thanks!
Your suggestion for the canvas make sense.
I think I will go for the 44" only, for a start, and I will see how it goes from there...