Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: Hans Kruse on January 14, 2019, 12:22:05 pm

Title: Colorful Rocks
Post by: Hans Kruse on January 14, 2019, 12:22:05 pm
Shot on Isle of Skye.

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4873/46739230191_cfcfab1009_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2edbLLp)Colorful Rocks (https://flic.kr/p/2edbLLp) by Hans Kruse (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hkruse/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 14, 2019, 12:49:26 pm
Primordial! Another example how a photograph can become almost abstract while retaining its inherent veracity.
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: RSL on January 14, 2019, 01:42:23 pm
Fine work, as usual, Hans.
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: praja343 on January 14, 2019, 04:34:10 pm
The image is quite spectacular. I like the harmonious blending of tones and color. It looked even better to me when I cropped the water out from the bottom. That way there is the blue water at the bottom right and rising rocks .... either way a fantastic image.
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 14, 2019, 05:30:07 pm
Primordial! Another example how a photograph can become almost abstract while retaining its inherent veracity.
+1.
Another fine shot, Hans.
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: Ghaag on January 14, 2019, 06:34:39 pm
Beautiful image!
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 14, 2019, 09:00:09 pm
The image is quite spectacular. I like the harmonious blending of tones and color. It looked even better to me when I cropped the water out from the bottom. That way there is the blue water at the bottom right and rising rocks .... either way a fantastic image.

It is indeed a fine image. But your suggested crop removes its grounding, leaving it floating, and that, for me, is bad.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: francois on January 15, 2019, 04:53:25 am
It is indeed a fine image. But your suggested crop removes its grounding, leaving it floating, and that, for me, is bad.

Jeremy

Maybe Hans was floating!
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: Hans Kruse on January 15, 2019, 05:26:08 am
Thanks very much for the comments and suggestions :)

I did look at cropping into the rocks and this could be done, but I felt the water at the bottom gave a quite different feel to the image. I shot both horizontal and vertical shots and preferred the horizontal one.

On this image you can see what part of the rock I was shooting. And the rock shot was from a different position, of course.

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4906/39784796063_6743c6fe5d_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/23BDtMH)The Light House (https://flic.kr/p/23BDtMH) by Hans Kruse (https://www.flickr.com/photos/hkruse/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: stamper on January 15, 2019, 05:28:49 am
A very fine image as presented!
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 15, 2019, 06:06:49 am
Nature's pallete, wonderful.
Title: Re: Colorful Rocks
Post by: RMW on January 15, 2019, 07:59:14 am
Very enjoyable !
Richard