Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Jeff Kott on January 09, 2019, 08:05:49 pm
-
I need to replace my aged Epson 4900 and am of course looking at the P5000. I see there’s a $400 rebate if I buy it before 1/31.
My question is whether this is normal for this time of year or is this an indication that Epson is about to release new models. Any thought?
-
I don't think the SC-P5000 is anywhere close to the end of its product cycle. This is the early post-Christmas season when sales need to be pushed by offering rebates. I wouldn't read much more than that into it.
-
Thanks Mark! That’s what I thought, but wanted to check with those who follow this more closely than I do. ;)
-
Epson provides rebates on most of their photo printers almost monthly and the timeframe manufacturer's are going to launch a new version is around 5-6 years (average from what I can tell). I've personally seen 3 versions of Epson/Canon while at this company for just over 8 years. (Epson's x800/x880, x890/x900/P); (Canon's x300, x400, Pro).
The P5000 was launched about a year after the P series started shipping which replaced the 4900.
So, it may be a few more years until the manufacturer(s) provide a statement about a new version/series in the works.