Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Landscape Showcase => Topic started by: skierd on January 07, 2019, 01:46:52 am

Title: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: skierd on January 07, 2019, 01:46:52 am
Went aurora chasing last night and was rewarded with a pretty good show around 1am!  Had to brave -35F, which made changing batteries no fun! Pentax KP, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 HSM

On the Elliott Highway near Fairbanks Alaska

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4838/46636637041_d06e99dd60_b.jpg)aurora 010619 web-2639 (http://'https://flic.kr/p/2e47XoZ') by David Dawson (http://'https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/'), on Flickr

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7826/46636644181_2d79e37f55_b.jpg)aurora 010619 web-2587 (http://'https://flic.kr/p/2e47Zw6') by David Dawson (http://'https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/'), on Flickr

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7881/46636643061_2f929aea5c_b.jpg)aurora 010619 web-2600 (http://'https://flic.kr/p/2e47ZbM') by David Dawson (http://'https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/'), on Flickr

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7841/46636641751_3640a932b9_b.jpg)aurora 010619 web-2620 (http://'https://flic.kr/p/2e47YNc') by David Dawson (http://'https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/'), on Flickr

(https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4862/46636640381_c4f6e92981_b.jpg)aurora 010619 web-2631 (http://'https://flic.kr/p/2e47Yoz') by David Dawson (http://'https://www.flickr.com/photos/114967696@N07/'), on Flickr
Title: Re: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 07, 2019, 05:53:28 am
Great set.
Title: Re: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 07, 2019, 08:31:35 am
Great set.
+1.
Title: Re: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: francois on January 09, 2019, 04:42:58 am
The light in unreal… Well done!
Title: Re: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: langier on January 09, 2019, 04:52:02 pm
Nice dancing in the sky, nicely done!
Title: Re: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: Telecaster on January 09, 2019, 04:58:09 pm
Wonderful stuff!

-Dave-
Title: Re: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: RMW on January 09, 2019, 05:15:50 pm
Beautiful work.
Brave photographer !
Title: Re: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: armand on January 09, 2019, 05:20:46 pm
I'm quite positive I never encountered a temperature so low in my entire life, the coldest was around-5F-0F with a pretty hefty windchill added (it so happened I was taking pictures too). You are a brave man!
Title: Re: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: luxborealis on January 13, 2019, 12:30:19 pm
Some beautiful captures here. Congratulations on your success at -35C. I know from experience how utterly difficult that is from near frozen fingers to camera movements that become “slower than molasses in a January”.

Have you considered adding a lens correction to help the trees regain their upright stature? It seems to be a thing now to emphasize the use of a super wide angle (as in ‘Gee, look what lens I have’), but to me, it seems unnecessarily ‘incorrect’ from a nature photography perspective.

However, if it is entirely intentional and you prefer the look, then ignore my conventional perspective.
Title: Re: The sky’s awake, so I’m awake
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on January 13, 2019, 03:38:46 pm
Wonderful stuff!

-Dave-

Yes indeed!

Dave