Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: robertfields on January 06, 2019, 04:47:25 pm

Title: Epson Print Layout
Post by: robertfields on January 06, 2019, 04:47:25 pm
I haven't used epson Print Layout for a while, since I upgraded to Mojave on my iMac (Late 2015/17,1).  Tried it today to print some BW. The app starts, but I can't load images or select anything (printers, anything) from the drop down menus. Essentially it's frozen.  I tried it on my old MacBook Air running Sierra.  It works there.  Tried re-installing, re-booting, etc. nothing.   I print to an Epson P800, which works perfectly from Lightroom.  Any suggestions?
Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 06, 2019, 08:14:06 pm
I haven't used epson Print Layout for a while, since I upgraded to Mojave on my iMac (Late 2015/17,1).  Tried it today to print some BW. The app starts, but I can't load images or select anything (printers, anything) from the drop down menus. Essentially it's frozen.  I tried it on my old MacBook Air running Sierra.  It works there.  Tried re-installing, re-booting, etc. nothing.   I print to an Epson P800, which works perfectly from Lightroom.  Any suggestions?

Yes - print from Lightroom.
Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: digitaldog on January 06, 2019, 09:18:06 pm
No- runs just fine under Mojave on this end. Just loaded an image without issue. Using this version?

Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: Daverich on January 07, 2019, 09:38:35 am
Might give this a try...

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-macos-mojave-apps-compability-fix-2018-10
Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: robertfields on February 22, 2019, 12:30:31 pm
Thanks, Daverich for at least trying for an answer rather than the snarky easy way out "print from Lightroom." I guess that was a joke. Your solution seemed logical, but it didn't work. Thanks for the effort though.  I went into the Preferences option in the app and clicked on "Reset" to default. It started working.  The reason I wanted to get it working is because It facilitates pseudo-print preview in Advanced Black and White.  Something you can't do in Lightroom....yet.  I don't use it a lot, but it is occasionally handy for a B/W print.
Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: Mark D Segal on February 22, 2019, 01:01:05 pm
Thanks, Daverich for at least trying for an answer rather than the snarky easy way out "print from Lightroom." I guess that was a joke. Your solution seemed logical, but it didn't work. Thanks for the effort though.  I went into the Preferences option in the app and clicked on "Reset" to default. It started working.  The reason I wanted to get it working is because It facilitates pseudo-print preview in Advanced Black and White.  Something you can't do in Lightroom....yet.  I don't use it a lot, but it is occasionally handy for a B/W print.

No, it wasn't a joke and it wasn't meant to be snarky. In your opening post, you didn't explain why it was important to you to be able to print through Epson Print Layout, but you did say you found printing from LR fine. So I was simply encouraging you to stick with LR if you found it satisfactory, rather than futzing with software that wasn't working for you after all the attempts you described. Anyhow, all's well that ends well.
Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 22, 2019, 10:49:47 pm
I’m with Mark on this, I’m curious as to what Epson Print Layout offers that someone with Lightroom would bother with adding another program into their workflow.

Don’t get me wrong, I really offer this as a questions. I don’t use it and from the description I can’t figure out how it would add anything.

What functionality beyond Lightroom does it offer?
Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: digitaldog on February 22, 2019, 11:00:50 pm
I’m with Mark on this, I’m curious as to what Epson Print Layout offers that someone with Lightroom would bother with adding another program into their workflow.

Don’t get me wrong, I really offer this as a questions. I don’t use it and from the description I can’t figure out how it would add anything.

What functionality beyond Lightroom does it offer?
What it does is "soft proof" ABW on your image as you alter the ABW controls. LR can't.
Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: Wayne Fox on February 23, 2019, 08:00:51 pm
What it does is "soft proof" ABW on your image as you alter the ABW controls. LR can't.
ah, now it all makes sense as I see the OP was talking about printing B&W.  Thanks Andrew.  I’ll have to check it out.
Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: Mark D Segal on February 23, 2019, 08:59:18 pm
ah, now it all makes sense as I see the OP was talking about printing B&W.  Thanks Andrew.  I’ll have to check it out.

Softproofing ABW is mentioned in my June 1, 2017 article on this website titled "Printing Can be Fun and Easy". But it wasn't working properly at the time of that review. I noted EPson was working on it. I presume by now it works.
Title: Re: Epson Print Layout
Post by: digitaldog on February 23, 2019, 09:03:19 pm
Softproofing ABW is mentioned in my June 1, 2017 article on this website titled "Printing Can be Fun and Easy". But it wasn't working properly at the time of that review. I noted EPson was working on it. I presume by now it works.
Always working for me but not sure of the date I first used it.