Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: PeterAit on January 03, 2019, 09:26:29 am
-
I am looking for a bag to hold a FF camera (Sony A7) and 3 lenses:24-70, 70-200, and 70mm macro. Plus a few accessories - batteries, filters, SD cards. Backpack and shoulder strap capable if possible. It's very hard to tell from online descriptions what will work. Thanks.
-
Peter you are going to get everyone’s personal opinion usually justifying their current choices. This is a very personal thing obviously.
Yesterday I chucked out perhaps 15 camera bags. Lowepro, think tank, all sorts. I have tried loads of bags. Now I am settled on four Peak Design bags of different sizes. No way I can choose one bag for all situations. Peak Deaign everyday messenger is perhaps my most used bag. Not cheap stuff but I have used it heavily for years and it looks like the day I bought it.
I use a A7, a6300 and a6500. About 15 lenses I suppose.
-
Impossible to answer, all this is very personal.
Personally I use real backpacks (not photo backpacks) with photo ICUs in them. When I need a shoulder bag, I put the same ICU in my Domke bag. I chose the Domke bag that best fit my specific ICU (the F-2, in my case). I don't usually use the Domke inserts. An empty Domke weighs nothing, so it's easy to take both a backpack and a shoulder bag for a trip.
I absolutely can't stand photo backpacks and most photo bags. The Domke is good for me because it doesn't have useless bulky insulation. Even my ICU I wish it were less insulated (I use a Tenba Tools BYOB 10 ICU).
-
I use real packs and inserts if I'm hiking far, skiing, cycling, or climbing a peak.
But for around town or shorter walks my Lowepro Flipside 300 is pretty good for a FF body and 3 lenses (in my case Pentax K-1, 15-30/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8 ). It was pretty inexpensive and my main criticism is the tripod holder. Just not well designed and the tripod will flop when you walk.
I'd like to replace it with something that handles a tripod better but I'm not in a rush. Without a tripod it's great and can't be opened from the back so it's good in urban situations like subways.
I also have a couple of Crumpler shoulder bags for around town with a smaller kit (like a 3 prime FF or crop kit). The Four Million Dollar Home is good for the minimal kit or the Six Million Dollar Home if I need to bring a little more.
-
I have several Domke bags in all sizes. A shoulder bag difficult to beat imo.
And I have one Pelican case for the gear I use for my architecture assignments.