Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Riaan van Wyk on December 30, 2018, 10:47:42 am

Title: Not Hernandez
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on December 30, 2018, 10:47:42 am
I had some rare time in front of the computer today and happened upon this pic. I realised a few years ago that B/W conversions thrive on good light and for me, being a landscape photographer it means "soft light" at sunrise or sunset.

But, I have gathered, deduced and concluded over the years that between 11 and 2pm when the sun is at it's brightest and trying to kill everything with his rays is the time when the powder puff clouds are out and everything just comes together for a striking B/W pic.

Not that this is but a nod to harsh midday light, that has it's uses.


Title: Re: Not Hernandez
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on December 30, 2018, 12:49:13 pm
Yes nice one. I like shooting mid day. Mid day in winter in the Babanango type of are. Dundee Vryheid as well. There is a way to process in colour that also really works. I love the colours.

But yes Black and White as well.
Title: Re: Not Hernandez
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on December 30, 2018, 01:10:36 pm
Ulundi area Martin which is still subject to the coastal humidity. Dundee and Vryheid is another story though as the light is so much cleaner and different.
Talking about Vryheid, I really want to shoot the  Hlobane mine ruins one day, the settlement left such a sad and melancholy impression on me. Especially the clubhouse with the fig tree growing in the empty swimming pool.

On second thought, you and Keith are perhaps better suited to do justice to the lost lives there.
Title: Re: Not Hernandez
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on December 30, 2018, 01:14:28 pm
Let’s set it up. I’m up for it if you are. Sounds like it could be an interesting little project.
Title: Re: Not Hernandez
Post by: luxborealis on December 30, 2018, 05:26:27 pm
There is nothing like a full time B&W. Nicely done!
Title: Re: Not Hernandez
Post by: maddogmurph on December 30, 2018, 09:57:07 pm
Noise reduction, and needs more in the bottom for my taste.
Title: Re: Not Hernandez
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on December 30, 2018, 11:16:04 pm
Let’s set it up. I’m up for it if you are. Sounds like it could be an interesting little project.

That sounds like a splendid idea.
Title: Re: Not Hernandez
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on January 02, 2019, 02:36:21 am
Thanks for looking Terry, Maddog. Appreciated.