Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Panagiotis on December 29, 2018, 06:50:51 am

Title: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: Panagiotis on December 29, 2018, 06:50:51 am
I spotted and downloaded a new (I think) Canon print plug-in named Canon Professional Print & Layout.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers/professional-inkjet-printers/imageprograf-pro-1000?subtab=downloads-software (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/professional-large-format-printers/professional-inkjet-printers/imageprograf-pro-1000?subtab=downloads-software)

It supposedly do special printing with Canon own DPRAW technology.

https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/news/professional-print-layout-software/ (https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/news/professional-print-layout-software/)

It's color managed but unlike PSP it has the option to select black point compensation.

I didn't tried it yet.

Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: howardm on December 29, 2018, 06:58:46 am
Currently Windows only from what it appears.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: Panagiotis on December 29, 2018, 07:03:42 am
Currently Windows only from what it appears.
It seems so. I searched and couldn't find a Mac version unfortunately.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: Panagiotis on December 29, 2018, 07:14:05 am
I continue to explore it. It has enhanced layout option vs PSP. For example in a multi image layout there is now the option to edit each cell (named now slot) separately.
It is interesting.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: howardm on December 29, 2018, 08:11:33 am
Interesting.  Hopefully will release a Mac copy soon.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: Panagiotis on December 29, 2018, 08:16:52 am
And here what it does with Canon's Unique Image Processing Methods:

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/ProfessionalPrintLayout/W/1.0/EN/PPL/ppl-600.html (https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/ProfessionalPrintLayout/W/1.0/EN/PPL/ppl-600.html)
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: Dan Wells on December 30, 2018, 01:15:28 pm
It  looks like much of what it does only works if it is started from within Canon's Digital Photo Professional (which, as I understand it, is their own RAW conversion software). It will start from Lightroom or Photoshop, but missing many features? I can't tell (from the web manual - I only have Macs) what it might do if started from Lightroom that Lightroom's own print module doesn't? The Contrast Reproduction function may do something...

Many of the functions require specific Canon cameras (full-frame only, 5D IV and newer), as well as the use of Digital Photo Professional instead of Lightroom, Capture One or some other alternative. How many people use that combination (I would guess that many people with a new Canon FF camera use third-party conversion software). People who shoot Nikon, Sony, Fuji or whatever else but print on Canon need not apply for most features, and Lightroom users need not, either.

One place where I can see a real use for this is printing from Photoshop if Photoshop's internal print architecture hasn't improved (I haven't tried in years, since Lightroom's print module improved). At least some years ago, Photoshop had no on-the-fly resizing or output sharpening. Canon's old (iPF 5000 to 6400 generation, pre Pro-series) print plugin was very useful from Photoshop because it added features that Lightroom had but Photoshop didn't...

Dan (Canon-printing Nikon and Fuji shooter)
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: Panagiotis on December 30, 2018, 04:45:13 pm
It  looks like much of what it does only works if it is started from within Canon's Digital Photo Professional (which, as I understand it, is their own RAW conversion software). It will start from Lightroom or Photoshop, but missing many features? I can't tell (from the web manual - I only have Macs) what it might do if started from Lightroom that Lightroom's own print module doesn't? The Contrast Reproduction function may do something...

Many of the functions require specific Canon cameras (full-frame only, 5D IV and newer), as well as the use of Digital Photo Professional instead of Lightroom, Capture One or some other alternative. How many people use that combination (I would guess that many people with a new Canon FF camera use third-party conversion software). People who shoot Nikon, Sony, Fuji or whatever else but print on Canon need not apply for most features, and Lightroom users need not, either.

One place where I can see a real use for this is printing from Photoshop if Photoshop's internal print architecture hasn't improved (I haven't tried in years, since Lightroom's print module improved). At least some years ago, Photoshop had no on-the-fly resizing or output sharpening. Canon's old (iPF 5000 to 6400 generation, pre Pro-series) print plugin was very useful from Photoshop because it added features that Lightroom had but Photoshop didn't...

Dan (Canon-printing Nikon and Fuji shooter)

Sure. It is just an improved alternative to Canon's own PSP. More refined interface, better layout capabilities, black point compensation, DPRAW processing loses pattern print. Seems a nice add on.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: dehnhaide on January 02, 2019, 10:29:52 am
The Contrast Reproduction function may do something...

Dan (Canon-printing Nikon and Fuji shooter)

This feature is already a part of classic PSP, if I remember correctly my settings...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: Panagiotis on January 09, 2019, 02:56:57 am
I just realized that it's not only a plug in. It is also a standalone application. It requires a Canon printer though. But I couldn't find a list of supported printers.

The contrast reproduction feature is unbelievably slow.

Another new is that when printing from the manual feed tray (PRO-1000), if there is a paper in the tray, it starts printing immediately without waiting for the usual confirmation from the printer lcd.

Also there is a "No color correction" option in the color management section so theoretically it can be used for printing profiling targets.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: MHMG on February 25, 2019, 12:46:46 pm
I just realized that it's not only a plug in. It is also a standalone application. It requires a Canon printer though. But I couldn't find a list of supported printers.

The contrast reproduction feature is unbelievably slow.

Another new is that when printing from the manual feed tray (PRO-1000), if there is a paper in the tray, it starts printing immediately without waiting for the usual confirmation from the printer lcd.

Also there is a "No color correction" option in the color management section so theoretically it can be used for printing profiling targets.

So, I got an email notice today from ITSupplies with title "Canon Releases Professional Print & Layout Software". So, it now looks like it's out of beta and available for both Mac and Windows. You do apparently need to have a an imagePrograf printer (my Pro-1000 is recognized), but it is indeed both standalone and can run as plugin with PS or LR, also on Mac or Windows. I'm trying the Mac version and it seems pretty full featured for v1.0.

However, I'm seeing a possible bug as well. Under color management menu, when I select "use ICC profiles" it only recognizes several generic Canon profiles. It doesn't find my custom ICC profiles which PS finds with no problem. If one can't use custom ICC profiles with it, that's pretty lame. I'm guessing it's just a bug in v1.0. ,maybe even just the Mac version. I can't test the windows version.

Can anyone here with a Pro-1000, 2000, etc else confirm this ICC profile issue with this new Canon software?
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: Panagiotis on February 25, 2019, 02:28:48 pm
So, I got an email notice today from ITSupplies with title "Canon Releases Professional Print & Layout Software". So, it now looks like it's out of beta and available for both Mac and Windows. You do apparently need to have a an imagePrograf printer (my Pro-1000 is recognized), but it is indeed both standalone and can run as plugin with PS or LR, also on Mac or Windows. I'm trying the Mac version and it seems pretty full featured for v1.0.

However, I'm seeing a possible bug as well. Under color management menu, when I select "use ICC profiles" it only recognizes several generic Canon profiles. It doesn't find my custom ICC profiles which PS finds with no problem. If one can't use custom ICC profiles with it, that's pretty lame. I'm guessing it's just a bug in v1.0. ,maybe even just the Mac version. I can't test the windows version.

Can anyone here with a Pro-1000, 2000, etc else confirm this ICC profile issue with this new Canon software?

I am away from the printers now but I remember that I printed on the pro-1000 with custom profile. Win 10.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: David Budd on February 25, 2019, 07:07:31 pm
On my Pro 2000, running Mac OS 10.13.6 all my custom profiles are recognised by PPL under Media type > Custom.

-David
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: MHMG on February 25, 2019, 07:47:08 pm
On my Pro 2000, running Mac OS 10.13.6 all my custom profiles are recognised by PPL under Media type > Custom.

-David

Thanks, I tried that. Doesn't work for me with the Pro-1000 on my Mac. I'm on latest OS version 10.14.3.  If indeed one does need to use a custom media type in order to be able to access all profiles in the ColorSync library, that would be a stupid decision on Canon's part. Any number of custom profiles get built on standard Canon media settings....it saves the trouble of using the Media Config utility to create a custom media preset.

FWIW, the older Canon app "Print Studio Pro" accesses the full ColorSync library just the way one would expect, so I suspect it's some kind of bug with the new  CPP&L app.  Called Canon support today on this issue. The tech person I talked to was clueless...conceded that the app is so new that Canon support team is not up to speed on it yet.

I also loaded the Canon Professional Print & Layout app on another Mac, and I'm seeing the same issue, but that computer is also on latest OS version. The Mac's ColorSync Profile folder is not being accessed by CPP&L app on either of my Macs.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: MT on February 26, 2019, 07:05:44 am
Same thing for us, IPFPro4k. We received our printer on 19 December and been using only PPL all the time - no issues with ICC profiles.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: MHMG on February 26, 2019, 09:05:14 am
Same thing for us, IPFPro4k. We received our printer on 19 December and been using only PPL all the time - no issues with ICC profiles.

What OS version? Thanks.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: Panagiotis on February 26, 2019, 04:24:15 pm
I checked today with the PRO-4000. On Win 10 64bit the PPL application access all the profiles in C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color as it should.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: msbc on February 26, 2019, 05:21:37 pm
I have PPL on Mac 10.14.3 with a Pro-1000. It was not showing profiles from my home ColorSync directory ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ only ones from the system directory /Library/ColorSync/Profiles. After copying profiles from my own to the system directory and re-starting PPL they do show up.
Title: Re: New Canon print plug-in "Canon Professional Print & Layout" v. 1.00
Post by: MHMG on February 26, 2019, 07:22:16 pm
I have PPL on Mac 10.14.3 with a Pro-1000. It was not showing profiles from my home ColorSync directory ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ only ones from the system directory /Library/ColorSync/Profiles. After copying profiles from my own to the system directory and re-starting PPL they do show up.

I moved a few custom built ICC profiles from my home directory to the system directory, and they showed up in PPL, just as you said! Thank you.

My profiling apps all use the home directory as default for saving the custom profiles, so I had no custom profiles in the system directory, and that's why PPL seemed like an epic fail to me. This is a good work around, but Canon should fix this minor bug in its next update, IMHO.