Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: BobShaw on December 17, 2018, 04:31:13 pm
-
Hi all,
I have just received my first XCD lens, an XCD90 with about 600 clicks on it.
I am not sure if there is a problem with it and I live a long way from a dealer.
The lens makes about 5-6 clicks on power up and the same on power down. Is this normal?
Actually the "click" is more like a horse galloping.
Certainly the HC lenses I have used don't do this.
The lens seems to work OK.
Would any users please advise if I should send it back.
Bob
-
Hi all,
I have just received my first XCD lens, an XCD90 with about 600 clicks on it.
I am not sure if there is a problem with it and I live a long way from a dealer.
The lens makes about 5-6 clicks on power up and the same on power down. Is this normal?
Actually the "click" is more like a horse galloping.
Certainly the HC lenses I have used don't do this.
The lens seems to work OK.
Would any users please advise if I should send it back.
Bob
Definitely NOT normal. Before sending it back, I suggest you check to see if you have the latest firmware for both the camera
and the lens. The firmware loaded in the camera and the lens are in the "H About" Menu.
-
I am not sure if there is a problem with it and I live a long way from a dealer.
Distance should not be an issue re diagnostics. Simply FaceTime or Skype with your dealer to show them the issue, or worst case, call them. Anyway, that's what we do when a client has issues who isn't located close to NYC or LA; the USA is quite large and we have clients thousands of kilometers away, plus clients who are traveling to the other side of the world.
I suggest this, rather than email or web, primarily because of the auditory and timing nature of the issue. It reminds me a bit of Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers from Car Talk; reading a transcript of their show would be far less illuminating than hearing it as so many car issues are auditory in nature. If your dealer hears the issue they may quickly identify it as the cause of X, Y, or Z and quickly tell you that it either needs to be sent in or that some menu option you have selected is not compatible, or this is what happens when you have mismatched firmware etc etc.
Anyway, a vote for contacting your dealer; it's literally their job to help and to make this as painless and brief an annoyance to your experience as possible.
-
Thanks guys for responding.
I called the Hasselblad service tech and played it over the phone to him. He confirmed it is not normal and possibly the aperture assembly. The lens has 600 clicks on it so I am now trying to confirm if it is under warranty.
Firmware on both camera and lens is the latest.
-
It sounds like you purchased a used 90mm lens with 600 clicks. The lens should be covered by the factory warranty for one year but I don't know if Hasselblad will extend the original warranty to a second buyer. Please lett us know what happens.
-
So Hasselblad has accepted that it is under warranty and the lens is off for a holiday in Sweden.
You don't need to be the original owner.
Warranty is 12 months from date of invoice and if you register it on Hasselblad.com then you get an extra 12 months.
-
Full warranty coverage for second hand buyers is great news!
-
Full warranty coverage for second hand buyers is great news!
Just make sure that you get the original invoice with the purchase. That is a good idea for any purchase.
The warranty is from invoice date. The serial number is not good enough.
-
Good advice to make the original sales invoice part of the second hand sales transaction if warranty coverage is wanted.
-
Just to bookend this one.
The lens arrived back today so about 3 weeks round trip to Sydney then Melbourne to Sweden and back. Considering it was Christmas I guess that is not bad.
No charge. Seems to work great.