Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on October 27, 2006, 01:02:55 pm

Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 27, 2006, 01:02:55 pm
Hi,

I've downloaded ICC profiles for some Ilford papers from their site. They work fine. However, they have awful, incomprehensible names which are only subtly different from each other when they show up in PS's profiles list.

I've tried renaming the files, but that doesn't make any difference, so I imagine the profile name must be embedded in the data somewhere. The PList editor can't open the file and ResFool says it doesn't have a resource fork (I'm on a Mac).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm happy to mess around with byte-by-byte editors if necessary.

Thanks
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: David White on October 27, 2006, 02:52:58 pm
Quote
I've tried renaming the files, but that doesn't make any difference, so I imagine the profile name must be embedded in the data somewhere. The PList editor can't open the file and ResFool says it doesn't have a resource fork (I'm on a Mac).
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=82539\")

[a href=\"http://www.chromix.com/colorthink/cxctpro/index.cxsa]Chromix ColorThink[/url] will do this for you.  They have a demo available.
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: Hermie on October 27, 2006, 04:34:56 pm
Quote
Chromix ColorThink (http://www.chromix.com/colorthink/cxctpro/index.cxsa) will do this for you.  They have a demo available.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a] (http://index.php?act=findpost&pid=82550\")

Correct, I'm not on a Mac, but according to Andrew Rodney the Apple ColorSync utility does the job too, see [a href=\"http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200501_rodneycm.pdf]http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200501_rodneycm.pdf[/url]

Herman
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: Ken Tanaka on October 27, 2006, 04:44:51 pm
I have faced the same issue and stumbled upon a simple, quick solution.  (I am also on a Mac.)  After downloading a profile, with a file name typically inconsistent with my own scheme, I simply double-click on the ICC file.  This invokes the Apple ColorSynch utility which displays the profile's contents as labeled fields.  Move down to the field labeled "Desc" and simply edit its contents to the name you want to assign to the profile.  Save the file and then rename the file to that same name (mostly for your convenience).  That's it!

Hope this helps.
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 28, 2006, 05:49:57 am
Quote
I have faced the same issue and stumbled upon a simple, quick solution.  (I am also on a Mac.)  After downloading a profile, with a file name typically inconsistent with my own scheme, I simply double-click on the ICC file.  This invokes the Apple ColorSynch utility which displays the profile's contents as labeled fields.  Move down to the field labeled "Desc" and simply edit its contents to the name you want to assign to the profile.  Save the file and then rename the file to that same name (mostly for your convenience).  That's it!

Hope this helps.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82573\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I must be getting old - I've been using Macs for 20 years and the idea of double-clicking the profile to see what would happen never even crossed my mind!

Thanks very much. One caveat, though: if you don't tab out of the Desc field after editing it, your change won't be saved, even if you expressly choose "Save" from the File menu. Anyone who could imagine the possibility might think that was a bug in Apple's software!

Jeremy
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: Greg_E on October 28, 2006, 01:03:09 pm
In case anyone with WinXP reads this, the free color applet from Microsoft will also allow you to do this.

For both systems, Xrite's ColorshopX will let you do this too.
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: Mark F on December 07, 2009, 01:57:20 pm
An old post, but Ken (or anyone else who is knowledgeable), I followed your instructions exactly to get a more recognizable profile name for Epson Premium Luster, but LR does not recognize the renamed .icc file. When I hit "other" under the Color Management panel the list of available profiles reports the paper as "Pro4880 PLPP260" and not under my new file name.  The new name is listed in the Finder under Library/printers/Epson/inkjetprinter/iccprofiles/Pro4880.profiles while the original name isn't.  Can't figure out what's going on.

Quote from: Ken Tanaka
I have faced the same issue and stumbled upon a simple, quick solution.  (I am also on a Mac.)  After downloading a profile, with a file name typically inconsistent with my own scheme, I simply double-click on the ICC file.  This invokes the Apple ColorSynch utility which displays the profile's contents as labeled fields.  Move down to the field labeled "Desc" and simply edit its contents to the name you want to assign to the profile.  Save the file and then rename the file to that same name (mostly for your convenience).  That's it!

Hope this helps.
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: Doyle Yoder on December 07, 2009, 04:55:46 pm
Quote from: Mark F
An old post, but Ken (or anyone else who is knowledgeable), I followed your instructions exactly to get a more recognizable profile name for Epson Premium Luster, but LR does not recognize the renamed .icc file. When I hit "other" under the Color Management panel the list of available profiles reports the paper as "Pro4880 PLPP260" and not under my new file name.  The new name is listed in the Finder under Library/printers/Epson/inkjetprinter/iccprofiles/Pro4880.profiles while the original name isn't.  Can't figure out what's going on.

Maybe you have already done this, but did you restart LR after you changed the profiles internal name. What about other applications or the ColorSync Utility do they see the new name. You do change the internal name?

Doyle
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: Mark F on December 08, 2009, 06:50:46 pm
I did restart LR, and even restarted my iMac, but no help.  I followed Ken's instructions and renamed the profile in the three internal places indicated in the "desc" fields, then renamed the profile itself.  Finder shows the profile as having been renamed but LR does not.  

Quote from: DYP
Maybe you have already done this, but did you restart LR after you changed the profiles internal name. What about other applications or the ColorSync Utility do they see the new name. You do change the internal name?

Doyle
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: neile on December 08, 2009, 07:20:05 pm
Anyone have a solution for this that runs on Windows 7? I'd love to do some renaming too, but the Windows XP tool mentioned above doesn't seem to exist for Win 7.
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: dandeliondigital on December 10, 2009, 10:03:32 am
Hi,
You can rename profiles using the ColorSync Utility Program found in Applications/Utilities/ColorSync Utility.

Try to figure it out. It's not very hard. If you need help just ask again.

BTW, that program has a lot of usefulness, but is really unsung.

So long for now, TOM

Quote from: kikashi
Hi,

I've downloaded ICC profiles for some Ilford papers from their site. They work fine. However, they have awful, incomprehensible names which are only subtly different from each other when they show up in PS's profiles list.

I've tried renaming the files, but that doesn't make any difference, so I imagine the profile name must be embedded in the data somewhere. The PList editor can't open the file and ResFool says it doesn't have a resource fork (I'm on a Mac).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm happy to mess around with byte-by-byte editors if necessary.

Thanks
Title: Renaming ICC profiles
Post by: SteveAlley on December 10, 2009, 10:15:06 am
Veering slightly off-topic...re the windows color utility...

So if the windows color utility above does not show a profile associated with the monitor, but the correct profile is listed under monitor rgb in photoshop, is it all working like it should?

Steve