Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => Street Showcase => Topic started by: jeremyrh on December 15, 2018, 10:01:15 am
-
:D
Dougie Wilson in action
https://vimeo.com/194869208
-
Sticking a flash in someones face isn't everyones cup of tea. I saw a gallery of his images in Paisley town hall. Impressive.
-
Sticking a flash in someones face isn't everyones cup of tea. I saw a gallery of his images in Paisley town hall. Impressive.
I probably wouldn't advise that technique in Paisley :-)
-
The old ladies in London didn't like it either.
-
The old ladies in London didn't like it either.
True, but they didn't react by "puttin' the heed on" :-)
-
He's on a roll. Thanks for posting.
-
Sorry guys, don't like any of the stuff I have seen. Neither his technique, style or subject matter. Not impressed with people who think that jabbing a camera in people's faces and then blinding them with a flash is good street photography. You just might get arrested in Toronto for doing that sort of thing.
JR
-
Evidently the guy was impressed by Bruce Gilden. Gilden used to do the same thing: walk down the street, stick a flash in somebody's face and fire. What he got was pictures of people being hassled.
-
Excess, silliness and weirdness have been around for a long time, lampooned, satirized and made art from by many artists in a variety of ways. Dougie Wallace seems to be joining them and I hope his next project is with politicians.
-
At least he doesn’t attack defenseless ‘bums’ and ‘hobo’s’
Interesting results! It is Bruce Gilden with a certain purpose. Gilden is more a loose canon.
-
I see him as more Martin Parr than Gilden.
-
A synthesis of both of them.
-
A synthesis of both of them.
Agree, a bit of both
-
Gilden's tactic, Parr's aesthetic.
If taking Capa's dictum to its extreme only yielded 'pictures of people being hassled' is would indeed be a waste of time, but Dougie Wallace goes beyond that.
-
Thank you for the link; I really enjoy most of the items in that series - when I can find 'em: I don't check out the timetables often enough.
No, I don't think it would be a good idea doing it in the Paisley that I remember so well. As a teenager just leaving shool there, I was out one day with a friend and we were both wearing school ties. Even though the tie was known in Paisley - the school had been there for four centuries (1576), for crissakes - it resemble too much that of Rangers, the football team. Yeah, we were hassled by what must have been Celtic fans, the other side of that lunatic football equation. Not pleasant. At least we didn't get cut or kicked.
I think our man gets away with it because he looks hard enough himself, and when he opens his mouth to speak, there's little incentive to change your mind about your first impression.
As to the snaps - well, if it's your thing, then fair enough, but not for me. It's interesting to watch for a while - as a video - but never for my wall, that's for sure.
If there's a moral somewhere, it's to reinforce my verdict on who should or should not be given the vote. I mean, really? People rolling in gutters not because they are homeless but because it signifies having a good time?
As for the super-rich: good for them; wish I owned that penthouse!
Rob