Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on December 15, 2018, 04:48:27 am

Title: Marooned
Post by: stamper on December 15, 2018, 04:48:27 am
?
Title: Re: Marooned
Post by: JNB_Rare on December 15, 2018, 05:15:41 am
Many times I will let a "monochromatic" colour image stand as colour. In the case of this photo, I think I would try converting it. The shapes and tones are wonderfully interesting.
Title: Re: Marooned
Post by: stamper on December 15, 2018, 06:49:18 am
Like this?
Title: Re: Marooned
Post by: RSL on December 15, 2018, 07:10:57 am
Yeah. It's an exercise in graphics. Made for B&W.
Title: Re: Marooned
Post by: petermfiore on December 15, 2018, 08:45:35 am
Like this?

Robert,
Yeah...but the color makes it murky!

Peter
Title: Re: Marooned
Post by: JNB_Rare on December 15, 2018, 11:03:29 am
Like this?

I agree with Russ that it will be an exercise in B&W/graphical rendering. To Peter's point, I think straight conversion will appear a bit 'murky'. Try leaving your shadows close to where they are, but increasing the 'whites' until the water is almost without detail. I hope you don't mind a quick example, bearing in mind that a) what you and I see on screen may be different, b) the rendering is your artistic choice, and c) any rendering should take into account the medium and presentation (matted and framed print?)
Title: Re: Marooned
Post by: stamper on December 15, 2018, 11:17:20 am
I don't see much difference between your rendering and my rendering but I take your point.