Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on December 02, 2018, 02:23:56 pm

Title: fiery sky
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 02, 2018, 02:23:56 pm
Thoughts?

Jeremy
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: armand on December 02, 2018, 03:06:30 pm
Thoughts?

Jeremy

Blood has been spilled this night
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: Chairman Bill on December 02, 2018, 04:08:14 pm
I think that might just count as 'dramatic'.
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: RSL on December 02, 2018, 05:10:34 pm
+1
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: luxborealis on December 02, 2018, 08:00:40 pm
Thoughts?
Jeremy

Beautiful as is!
But since you asked, just one niggley... the feeling I get is that the bottom seems slightly heavy/dominant. Do you have a similar version with slightly less ocean and slightly more sky?
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: John R on December 02, 2018, 08:13:13 pm
Beautiful as is!
But since you asked, just one niggley... the feeling I get is that the bottom seems slightly heavy/dominant. Do you have a similar version with slightly less ocean and slightly more sky?
I agree. You especially notice how dominant the ocean is when the picture is small.

JR
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 02, 2018, 08:36:06 pm
Beautiful as is!
But since you asked, just one niggley... the feeling I get is that the bottom seems slightly heavy/dominant. Do you have a similar version with slightly less ocean and slightly more sky?
+2.
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: armand on December 02, 2018, 10:19:44 pm
Beautiful as is!
But since you asked, just one niggley... the feeling I get is that the bottom seems slightly heavy/dominant. Do you have a similar version with slightly less ocean and slightly more sky?

Were you afraid to use the word "crop"?   ;D
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: stamper on December 03, 2018, 04:26:29 am
I had to reach for the sunglasses. I like it as it is!
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: JNB_Rare on December 03, 2018, 07:23:54 am
Now we know why the polar ice caps are melting!  ;)

Beautiful as is!
But since you asked, just one niggley... the feeling I get is that the bottom seems slightly heavy/dominant. Do you have a similar version with slightly less ocean and slightly more sky?

The current aspect ratio looks a bit more than 16:10 right now. 16:9 might be a bit much (crop off the bottom only), but closer to that ratio, I think.
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 03, 2018, 08:58:22 am
If you do decide to crop it, I won't tell Russ.  ;)
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 03, 2018, 09:49:00 am
I am much less bothered by the “heavy” bottom, perhaps because the sea is fiery itself. I am, however, somewhat bothered by the heavy left, i.e., the black rock being too close to the edge, and the cloud being much thicker on the left side. I can see two separate images in the current composition, 8x10 ratio, possibly square, once on the left, then on the right. Would be interesting to see the original full frame for possibilities.
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: MattBurt on December 03, 2018, 11:43:58 am
I like it. The suggestions may have merit too but it's still good as-is.
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: Peter McLennan on December 03, 2018, 12:21:46 pm
Charlie would invoke "Border Patrol" on that tiny sliver of cloud at top left frame edge.
I agree that the large black rock needs more breathing room to its left. Perhaps a tiny bit more shadow detail extraction there, too.
The ocean/land balance is good, IMHO.  The water conveys as much as does the land and sky.

Spectacular conditions, beautifully resolved.
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 03, 2018, 02:54:33 pm
Interesting comments - thanks, all.

I've already cropped a little of the sea from the bottom, but other than that, you see the full frame. There's no more sky and no more to the left. I rather liked the sea - I felt it anchored the image, and as Slobodan observes, it contributes to the fire. It looks darker in this jpeg than it does in LR.

Peter, good point about the "border patrol" - it's a good term and I must remember to do that in future.

I can lighten the rock on the left a bit. I'll muse on that.

Jeremy
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: luxborealis on December 09, 2018, 07:37:31 am
Were you afraid to use the word "crop"?   ;D

I assume you’re just trying to rattle my chain as you’ve been on this forum long enough to know that if a crop is needed, I’m not afraid to suggest it. I have no issue with cropping as nature was not made to a 3:2 or 4:3 or 1:1 standard. ;D
Title: Re: fiery sky
Post by: armand on December 18, 2018, 02:59:10 pm
I assume you’re just trying to rattle my chain as you’ve been on this forum long enough to know that if a crop is needed, I’m not afraid to suggest it. I have no issue with cropping as nature was not made to a 3:2 or 4:3 or 1:1 standard. ;D

Your assumption is correct, it was a too low hanging fruit to let it pass  ;)