Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => Street Showcase => Topic started by: RSL on November 30, 2018, 08:43:31 am

Title: The Gun
Post by: RSL on November 30, 2018, 08:43:31 am
Subject: "Sir, did you just take a picture of me?"

Photographer: "No. I took a picture of the gun."
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: JNB_Rare on November 30, 2018, 12:53:33 pm
After Cher's video for "If I could turn back time" I'll never be able to look at one of these pictures the same way again.  :o

(Official Music Video – Cher) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4)
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: KLaban on November 30, 2018, 01:28:31 pm
Subject: "Sir, did you just take a picture of me?"

Photographer: "No. I took a picture of the gun."

With a gun that big I'd be calling him Sir.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: RSL on November 30, 2018, 01:51:16 pm
He was a polite enough guy, even with the big gun.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on December 08, 2018, 11:22:25 am
This is not street. It’s a portrait of some kind.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: faberryman on December 08, 2018, 11:30:52 am
This is not street. It’s a portrait of some kind.
According to RSL's criteria, it can't be street. It is posed.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: RSL on December 08, 2018, 11:36:14 am
Haw, haw, haw. You guys will never figure it out.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: faberryman on December 08, 2018, 12:19:37 pm
Haw, haw, haw. You guys will never figure it out.
I am just quoting you. You said it can't be street if it's posed. But perhaps you have changed your mind now that you want one of your posed photos to be considered street.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 08, 2018, 12:48:33 pm
I am growing awfully bored with this terminological bickering.

Jeremy
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 08, 2018, 12:53:30 pm
I am growing awfully bored with this terminological bickering.

Jeremy
+1000.

Eric
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: Ivophoto on December 08, 2018, 12:55:48 pm
I am growing awfully bored with this terminological bickering.

Jeremy

Join the club.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: Martin Kristiansen on December 08, 2018, 01:05:39 pm
I am growing awfully bored with this terminological bickering.

Jeremy

Well as a moderator you could simply decide what is and is not permitted on the street subforum could you not? Decide on a working definition of street photography in other words. I for one will stick to any rules that the people running the forum impose. Wether I agree  with them personally or not.

As long as the current situation continues we will continue to be derailed by this argument and the sub forum stalls. Pick a definition that will get some life into the forum.

Or not. It’s your call, not mine.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: RSL on December 08, 2018, 01:41:31 pm
According to RSL's criteria, it can't be street. It is posed.

Right, guys. But this wasn't posed. I walked by, lifted the camera and shot. The guy had no idea I was going to do that.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: faberryman on December 08, 2018, 01:44:23 pm
Right, guys. But this wasn't posed. I walked by, lifted the camera and shot. The guy had no idea I was going to do that.
Well, it sure looks like he was posing for someone if not you.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: RSL on December 08, 2018, 01:51:26 pm
Okay Martin, and Fab, please show me where I claimed it was a fine street shot. I posted the picture along with the exchange of pleasantries that went with the action. That's all. It's street all right, but only because of the guy's strange position, which leads to the question: "Why was this guy sitting on that gun?" But it's a long way from great street.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: drmike on December 08, 2018, 05:04:33 pm
I am growing awfully bored with this terminological bickering.

Jeremy

Hasn't it reached the stage of white noise now? It's so predictable and utterly pointless I let it flow past whereas before I engaged and was irritated by it.

We can all count the shits I give if Russ or anyone else thinks a shot is Street or not - it won't take long.

Mike
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: KLaban on December 08, 2018, 05:46:11 pm
This is a showcase. Just sweep all the rubbish to one side and post images.

(http://www.keithlaban.co.uk/Sweeper.jpg)

;-)
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: RSL on December 08, 2018, 07:45:39 pm
A first-class travel atmospheric, Keith.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 08, 2018, 07:50:00 pm
A first-class photograph, Keith.   ;)
Title: The Gun
Post by: Ivophoto on December 09, 2018, 03:18:18 am
Back on topic, lads.

The ‘gun’ picture.

I studied the image, did some analysis and cross reference to what I learned from al Genre definitions here on Lula.

If the photographer was a resident and passing by and used his cell phone, this could be a snap shot.
If he used a 35mm and a Leica, it would be a professional snap shot.
If he was on holiday it could be a travel atmospherically snap shot.
If the photographer was a shoe sales man, this could be a well planned publicity snapshot.
It could be a raw snapshot to be processed into a Budweiser pub by photoshopping Budweiser on the barrel of the gun.
Thinking back on the discussion about the jeans publicity picture, I cannot exclude this is a splendid set up for a jeans campaign using casual snapshots to link with the target audience.
In Amsterdam it could be a snapshot for a Instagram pub for the local hipster hairdresser.

If it was on a historical location in Egypt it could be a snapshot of a surveillance body cam prior to arrest that guy and trow him in jail for damaging historical property.



I think it is safe to leave out the subjective projection and keep the common annotation   

It is probably a snap shot.

Ha, let’s move on with our life and keep seeing it positive. (Did the Egyptians had guns?)
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: drmike on December 09, 2018, 03:26:34 am
Nice one. Well done.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: RSL on December 09, 2018, 07:24:25 am
Thanks, Mike. Never ceases to amaze me that people who don't do street imagine they know so much about it.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: drmike on December 09, 2018, 08:00:03 am
As is often the case I'm not sure what you mean Russ. I was congratulating Ivo on amusing post.

Mike
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: faberryman on December 09, 2018, 08:04:19 am
As is often the case I'm not sure what you mean Russ. I was congratulating Ivo on amusing post.
He just assumed you were complimenting him on his photo of the guy posing on the canon. What else could you possibly mean?
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: RSL on December 09, 2018, 09:06:23 am
It's a reasonable assumption, since that's what this thread is about.
Title: Re: The Gun
Post by: drmike on December 09, 2018, 11:52:12 am
Ooo what a big muddle up.

I have given up offering any comments n photos as all anyone seems to want is 'great shot' or [insert famous name] couldn't have done better. There are exceptions but I can never recall who they are.

Mike