Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on November 22, 2018, 07:59:40 am

Title: Untitled
Post by: RSL on November 22, 2018, 07:59:40 am
.
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Rob C on November 22, 2018, 08:29:09 am
I know that guy!

:-)
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: RSL on November 22, 2018, 09:27:23 am
Right, Rob. This guy reminds me of a Jonathan Winters radio skit from the sixties. A young man is cast ashore in a tropical paradise. The tribe’s gentle medicine man takes him under his wing, and teaches him the local ropes, ending each instructional aphorism with the words, “my son.” Eventually the guy screws up and goes to bed with the wrong girl. When he’s hauled out before the tribe to be executed, he appeals to his teacher, saying: “But I’m too young to die.” After a short silence, the medicine man comes back with a quiet: “T.S., my son.” Of course that was in the sixties, so Winters quickly explains, “Tough situation. That means ‘tough situation.’”
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: John R on November 22, 2018, 09:42:08 am
Funny story Russ. But the well seen angle of light really does give him the definition that reinforces his benign look. He may look benign, but he still reminds me of Easter Island sculptures, a story that did not end well for the people of that island.

JR
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Rob C on November 22, 2018, 10:42:07 am
Funny story Russ. But the well seen angle of light really does give him the definition that reinforces his benign look. He may look benign, but he still reminds me of Easter Island sculptures, a story that did not end well for the people of that island.

JR

And as far as I can remember, those islanders are still trying to get one back from the U.K.! Some folks never learn. Just like the Greeks, who also want back some marbles.

I despair: history is supposed to teach us a lot.
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 22, 2018, 11:45:10 am
And as far as I can remember, those islanders are still trying to get one back from the U.K.! Some folks never learn. Just like the Greeks, who also want back some marbles.

I despair: history is supposed to teach us a lot.

They are indeed: in fact, a leader from Rapa Nui has been in London just this week, doing a dance outside the British Museum.

The only thing that history teaches us is that we learn nothing from history. I forget who said that.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 22, 2018, 12:48:27 pm
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/world/asia/american-killed-andaman-island-tribe.html

"Isolated Tribe Kills American With Bow and Arrow on Remote Indian Island"
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: BobDavid on November 22, 2018, 03:01:56 pm
amusing photo even without the story
Title: Re: Untitled
Post by: RSL on November 22, 2018, 03:36:16 pm
Funny story Russ. But the well seen angle of light really does give him the definition that reinforces his benign look. He may look benign, but he still reminds me of Easter Island sculptures, a story that did not end well for the people of that island.

JR

It wouldn't surprise me, John, to find that he was copied from a picture of an Easter Island sculpture. I shot him at a very busy garden sale, so I couldn't ask. I doubt the vendor had a clue anyway.