Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mike Guilbault on November 17, 2018, 12:36:35 pm

Title: Print Layout Software
Post by: Mike Guilbault on November 17, 2018, 12:36:35 pm
It's been a while since I've looked (5 years maybe) but I'd like to know what software is now recommended for one of two things. A little background... I moved from Lightroom to Capture One Pro about that time - and love the editing in C1, but prefer the printing module in LR. Yes, I can export my images and then import to LR for printing, but that means I have to export as a jpg or tif, and can't print directly from my RAW file. Not a big deal, but I'd like to know what's available now for printing software.

The other thing I'm looking for, possibly just an iOS app, but something that will calculate paper size needed and layout for multiple sized prints. i.e., I have an 11x14, 3 8x10s and 7 5x7s to print... so something that calculates the best use of paper to print this grouping of images.

TIA
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: jrsforums on November 17, 2018, 12:50:16 pm
Suggest you seriously look at Qimage.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: digitaldog on November 17, 2018, 12:59:13 pm
Using perhaps an Epson printer?
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Mike Guilbault on November 17, 2018, 01:00:53 pm
I need to run on a Mac. Qimage is PC only.  And yes, I'm using an Epson 9900
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: digitaldog on November 17, 2018, 01:02:08 pm
I need to run on a Mac. Qimage is PC only.  And yes, I'm using an Epson 9900

https://epson.com/epson-print-layout (https://epson.com/epson-print-layout)
And free.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: jrsforums on November 17, 2018, 01:15:39 pm
I need to run on a Mac. Qimage is PC only.  And yes, I'm using an Epson 9900

Now available for Mac
https://www.binartem.com/qimageone/
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Mike Guilbault on November 17, 2018, 01:26:16 pm
Hmmm... just looked at Epson Print Layout... pretty basic. I can do more in LR. I need to maximize paper so need to print multiple sizes of different images. It's about the same as what's built into Capture One. It appears that this only allows me to print by rows and columns of the same size.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Mike Guilbault on November 17, 2018, 01:27:56 pm
Now available for Mac
https://www.binartem.com/qimageone/
I'll take a look!  Thanks John.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: digitaldog on November 17, 2018, 01:37:50 pm
Hmmm... just looked at Epson Print Layout... pretty basic. I can do more in LR.
And if you own it, you should. The Print module is worth the price of admission alone.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 17, 2018, 02:15:53 pm
Andrew is right - the Lr Print Module is superb. However, for your particular wants/needs, you may wish to have a look at LaserSoft Imaging's PrinTao - here: Printao 8 (https://www.printao8.com/). I reviewed this software here: Printao 8 Review (https://luminous-landscape.com/is-printao-8-your-tao-of-printing-printao-8-review/). In particular it has a built-in template that automatically positions multiple photos to minimize paper waste.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Mike Guilbault on November 17, 2018, 02:36:24 pm
Coming on Sale November 22 - 25th with release of new 2019 version. I've waited this long... may as well wait another week. ;)
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 17, 2018, 02:40:11 pm
Coming on Sale November 22 - 25th with release of new 2019 version. I've waited this long... may as well wait another week. ;)
Which product are you talking about?
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: PeterAit on November 17, 2018, 02:45:48 pm
Suggest you seriously look at Qimage.

I second this.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: jrsforums on November 17, 2018, 02:46:08 pm
Andrew is right - the Lr Print Module is superb. However, for your particular wants/needs, you may wish to have a look at LaserSoft Imaging's PrinTao - here: Printao 8 (https://www.printao8.com/). I reviewed this software here: Printao 8 Review (https://luminous-landscape.com/is-printao-8-your-tao-of-printing-printao-8-review/). In particular it has a built-in template that automatically positions multiple photos to minimize paper waste.

Mark, have you ever reviewed Qimage?  Has had optimal positioning “forever”....plus many other features and some of the best interpolation out there.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Mark D Segal on November 17, 2018, 02:55:49 pm
Mark, have you ever reviewed Qimage?  Has had optimal positioning “forever”....plus many other features and some of the best interpolation out there.

I'm on MacOS, so for a long time QImage was not an option. Now that QImage has a Mac version I agree it is something to have a look at down the road.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Terry_Kennedy on November 18, 2018, 01:02:11 am
https://epson.com/epson-print-layout (https://epson.com/epson-print-layout)
And free.

I figured I'd take a look at it to see if it was something worth adding to my toolbox. But:

Quote
Not currently supported on the SureColor P10000 and P20000.

Huh? Those printers have been available for 2+ years now, and still not supported?

Or, it could just be the miserable job they do of keeping the Epson US site updated - for example, new P10K firmware has been out since September (check the Epson Australia site for FM028I8), but the US site only has FM022I6).
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: ColourPhil on November 18, 2018, 03:23:31 am
Agree with Mike's comments about Capture One Pro's printing versus LR's. They should have a new version appearing about the end of this month, so may be worth waiting to see if they make any improvements?
Anyone with insider knowledge?
One useful feature that both C1 and LR have, and some others lack, is the ability to print captions.
Cheers,
Phil
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: digitaldog on November 18, 2018, 09:46:02 am
I figured I'd take a look at it to see if it was something worth adding to my toolbox. But:

Huh? Those printers have been available for 2+ years now, and still not supported?

Or, it could just be the miserable job they do of keeping the Epson US site updated - for example, new P10K firmware has been out since September (check the Epson Australia site for FM028I8), but the US site only has FM022I6).
Yes, download and try as I recall it works with my 3880 which isn't listed.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on November 18, 2018, 10:10:40 am
Agree with Mike's comments about Capture One Pro's printing versus LR's. They should have a new version appearing about the end of this month, so may be worth waiting to see if they make any improvements?
Anyone with insider knowledge?
One useful feature that both C1 and LR have, and some others lack, is the ability to print captions.

I prefer (dedicated) applications that do things right, instead of being "Jack of all trades, master of none" types of application that usually remain lacking in some aspect or another.

Don't get me wrong, I would not object to having e.g. the capabilities of Qimage inside my preferred Raw Converter/Image Editor. But the chances of that happening are slim. That's why I have never regretted the small fee that's required for Qimage (going way back to the earlier versions), and I have even contributed some insights (such as anti-aliasing for downsampling) that made it into features of that program, as have other people. The program's author is quite approachable, for sensible questions and suggestions.

Cheers,
Bart

Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: stockjock on November 18, 2018, 01:49:20 pm
Agree with Mike's comments about Capture One Pro's printing versus LR's. They should have a new version appearing about the end of this month, so may be worth waiting to see if they make any improvements?
Anyone with insider knowledge?
One useful feature that both C1 and LR have, and some others lack, is the ability to print captions.
Cheers,
Phil
I find Qimage's interface very frustrating but captions and pagination are among it's great strengths compared to LR and I assume Capture One.
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: ColourPhil on November 18, 2018, 03:39:03 pm
I find Qimage's interface very frustrating but captions and pagination are among it's great strengths compared to LR and I assume Capture One.
Don't think the Mac version of Qimage can do captions?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Phil
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on November 18, 2018, 05:30:48 pm
Don't think the Mac version of Qimage can do captions?


Hi Phil,

Currently, Qimage One can't (yet).

http://ddisoftware.com/tech/qimage/qimage-one-captions/

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on November 19, 2018, 05:07:35 am
Some users info on Qimage One + Capture One on the Mac. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4245102?page=3

The developers of Qimage One tried to contact Affinity developers to get more integration of Q1 with that program. Photoshop and Lightroom have that already.. Probably happens one day for Affinity too: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/58679-integrate-qimage-one-into-affinity/  Whether that also will be possible for C1 is harder to say. Anyway there are some easy ways to transfer a file from C1 to Q1

On Windows I let Qimage Ultimate look into the C1 Output maps of different Sessions, I save Tiffs there permanently to be sure that in a reprint the print will be the same.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Title: Re: Print Layout Software
Post by: mfrohman on November 20, 2018, 01:36:36 pm
yes, the Mac version of qimage (binartem) might be of use. There's also an inexpensive mac app called imagenest that is really basic but useful for nesting images of different sizes and maximizing paper usage. They never update it but it still works fine. There's a demo you can try. http://www.bluecubit.com/imagenest-product-features-page/